Super Frank: I'm going to finish my career at Chelsea

Gem

It's great that Frankie wants to stay with the club for the rest of his career. After being mistreated at West Spam he had found his home at the Bridge and became one of the club's legends. It's very important to have that English core of players in place, people who know what Chelsea tradition is all about etc

Having said that, under new management we're looking into making serious changes in personnel. Our central midfield is packed with quality, the competition is tough and there's only so many players you can field on a regular basis. We're definitely looking to bring more creative players into our midfield and i wonder if Lamps will be content if he's not an automatic starter anymore and would the club be willing to keep the player reaching 30 this year and making more money than most in that role,too.

I want Lamps to stay, but i wonder if he'd be willing to adjust to a new situation. I'm sure there's plenty of clubs where he can ply his trade without worrying of losing his place in the starting eleven. Just a thought.

This is great news (as long as it's true!), Frank offers a lot more than just his footballing ability. He and JT run the players on and off the field, they organise the lads and it's largely thanks to the two of them that we've got the sort of atmosphere amongst the players that is allowing us to get through the current turmoil (JM going and endless injuries and suspensions to key players).

All that and he's still a cracking player!

The same story apparently confirmed by Sky Sports:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3019062,00.html

Frank Lampard has delivered a major boost to Chelsea by claiming he wants to finish his career with the club.

Speculation on the England international's future has been rife this season after contract talks with The Blues were put on hold so he can concentrate on his football.

However, despite being linked with the likes of Juventus and Barcelona, the 29-year-old loves Chelsea too much to contemplate leaving.

Lampard has 18-months remaining on his existing contract although he has now stated he would happy to end his career at Stamford Bridge.

Good News.

I'm someone that thinks that Lamps should not be a nailed on starter week in week out like he was throughout the Mourinho era. However, there is no doubt his value to the squad and when he is on form he is vital to us. I think it will be hard to get back that real spirit we had a couple of seasons ago when we had JT, Lamps, Cech, Gallas, Duffer and Eidur - unfortunately you lose players and some of that team spirit undoubtedly goes with it. But if we are about to bring in more new comers like Anelka etc, we need the stability of the likes of JT and Lamps and I hope they both stay with us until they finish their careers.

...and better players will be coming through

You reckon? I love Frank and think he's massively underrated atm, by general football fans anyway.

I always stand in Frank's corner and constantly fight his case. However, to think that in 4 or 5 years time someone younger won't be pushing for a starting place is crazy - just look at Makelele.

Seriously, I know he's underrated by a lot of people, he is vital to our team and any chances of trophies.

I for one think that the squad has improved since Frank's injury. Sure, Ballack won't score as many goals as Frank at the position. But I feel that his passing and creation skills are superior to Lampard. This being said I'm sure that Frank's leadership ability in the dressing room and off the pitch are underrated.

Neither are a long term solution.

and to think somebody once claimed the reason Frank was leaving was because Grant is the manager.

Call me a cynical old ba****d, but in my view he ONLY factor which will decide whether Lamps stays at Chelsea is money. So long as Chelsea give in to his outrageous wage demands he'll stay, simple.

and to think somebody once claimed the reason Frank was leaving was because Grant is the manager.

Call me a cynical old ba****d, but in my view he ONLY factor which will decide whether Lamps stays at Chelsea is money. So long as Chelsea give in to his outrageous wage demands he'll stay, simple.

Probably 80% right (at least) with the remainder probably being the ongoing rumours that his pbetter half wants a return to SPain.

Probably 80% right (at least) with the remainder probably being the ongoing rumours that his pbetter half wants a return to SPain.

I can't remember who, but someone on Chelsea tv (possibly Jason Cundy?) said that his Mrs loves living in London and doesn't want to return to Spain. Obviously there's no way of knowing if that's true, just as there's know way of knowing if Lamps really loves Chelsea (personally I think the £120 k per week helps considerably) but if true then there's no reason why he should go to Spain....... unless for the money icon_wink.gif

You cynical old bar steward!

In my view it is rarely just about money at that level. Money is just used as a gauge. So Frank reckons he has been one of the key contributors to our success over the last 3 years and feels that this should be reflected in his contract.

Translate that to the real world - you are doing a great job at work and your boss brings in someone else, on higher wages, who doesn't do as good a job. How do you feel? Pretty naffed off I suspect.

But, you love your job and the people you work with so what do you do? You go to your boss and say, I'm worth as much, if not more, than this new guy, and my contract will run out soon, I'd like a new one on the same basis, or better.

You want to stay but you're not going to let your boss take the piss out of you. If you can agree a new deal that you believe reflects your achievement and status in the company then that's great. Otherwise you might just decide that you'll consider other offers.

The amounts of money involved in football may well be considered obscene but the basic principal remains the same.

In my view it is rarely just about money at that level. Money is just used as a gauge. So Frank reckons he has been one of the key contributors to our success over the last 3 years and feels that this should be reflected in his contract.

Translate that to the real world - you are doing a great job at work and your boss brings in someone else, on higher wages, who doesn't do as good a job. How do you feel? Pretty naffed off I suspect.

But, you love your job and the people you work with so what do you do? You go to your boss and say, I'm worth as much, if not more, than this new guy, and my contract will run out soon, I'd like a new one on the same basis, or better.

You want to stay but you're not going to let your boss take the piss out of you. If you can agree a new deal that you believe reflects your achievement and status in the company then that's great. Otherwise you might just decide that you'll consider other offers.

The amounts of money involved in football may well be considered obscene but the basic principal remains the same.

All hail sense clap2.gif

I may be a cynical old bas...d but i don't share the excitement about keeping Frank at the club for the next five-six years.

I mean that's what he wants if report is to be trusted - six more years and obviously more money. He'll be 30 this year and imo he is not likely to get better with age. Frank has been a loyal servant to the club in the last five years and probably had as much if not more influence on our success as JT,Jose and Drogba but looking ahead i just don't see if giving him long term contract at this age and under current circumstances is such a swell idea.

Henry was a big part of Arse success, so was Horseface at the OT and both delivered goals in loads much like Frank. But when the right time came Fergie and Arsene made the right moves even if those decisions were not very popular with the fans at the time. Both clubs survived and both look to be doing well.

I'm not against keeping Frank at the club, i'm glad he loves Chelsea and wants to stay. I'm just trying to figure out how we're going to introduce changes to the current team, which are inevitable, and keep everybody happy.

Isn't that exactly what Gallas did? He wanted terms and wages that he felt reflected his value to the team. However, Kenyon and Buck undervalued that.

The Lampard saga has dragged on for bloody ages and I'm glad Frank wants to stay. However, this is something he has said before and he still hasn't put pen to paper. I do hope his "love of the club" is duly reflected in realistic and reasonable demands for his new contract.

I heard on the radio this afternoon he wants a six or seven year deal. That is a very long period of time for a player who is knocking on 30. But so long as he is prepared to accept that he will, in all likelyhood, be playing less regularly at 33/34 years old and therefore won't be getting anywhere near 120K a week for his services at that age, I say let's get the deal done.

Part of me is very please to hear, again, about Frank wanting to stay at Chelsea. If his words are true, then the reason he's been putting off any contract negotiations is to focus on his football and his family. Good on him for that.

However, he turns 30 this year, and wants to stay at Chelsea for another 5,6 or 7 years? I think that the only way Chelsea as a club would accept that would be if his wages were to be pro-rated. "Ok Frank, we'll give you your wages as they are for the remainder of hte 18 months on your current contract, but then you'll be 32, so after that, we will need to drop your wages to (insert figure here) for the additional 2-3 years of the contract you are about to sign."

I just can't see us paying a 34 year old 120k a week when it is totally realistic that there will be newer talent that could fill Frank's position.

I know that Frank brings something to the table that not many other players can. His love of the Club, the fan's respect, his camradery with the likes of Cech and Terry, his vice captaincy, and a bridge between the old and the new regime. However, I don't think we should have our "pants pulled down" over the price of his contract, just gor the sake of nostalgia!

I welcome him staying, and I think if we do offer him a contract then he can get back to playing football. however, we need to be sensible in our negotiations as a club. Or else there will be contract battles of Epic proportions in the future. Likewise, imagine a young talented player coming to the club, and he sees Frank languishing in the midfield still earning 120k a week..The youngster will then think he should be on parity with Frank when it comes to wages.

Scott

Archived