Give the man a god damn new contract already!

blizeH

Lampard's contract concern

"I've made it very clear I want to stay here and I want to know what's going on. I love playing for this club, I'm enjoying the greatest days of my career.

"Every time I run out for the club I don't think about the contract but when I am at home I would like it to be sorted out."

*If* this is true, and he really wants to stay, I'd have to ask why the hell Chelsea haven't offered him a new (lucrative) contract yet. Worth every penny, plus it's not like we can't afford it!

To be fair to the club it was Frank himself who said he didn't want to discuss his contract until the end of the season as he wanted to concentrate on football so it seems pointless making him an offer whilst he has previously made it clear he wouldn't give an answer until the summer and I'm sure the club want him giving full concentration on his game rather than be distracted by contract offers.

Spot on Geezer. Frank (or more likely his representatives) has given out very mixed messages about his commitment/desire to get his Chelsea future sorted. No denying that if anyone at the club deserves a tasty wedge then surely Frank is one of the elite ones however I think his agents are playing a good game making it sound like it is the club that are stalling all the time.

If he really wanted to stay, he would have signed by now. He's either looking to move away or wants the club to give him a contract thats more than his worth. I can't understand this approach of his, considering his performances this season. He should be grateful that the club is offering any extension at all. But of course, he is one of the "special ones", so the club will probably let him and his agents have their wasy.

Sheeraz:

17 goals again this season from midfield, and he's been out with injuries too.

Works his socks of for the team.

Loves the club and the fans which is something money cant buy.

Lets not pay him anywhere near what others are on who have done nothing for the club but moan and cause problems off the pitch. No lets have him shot icon_rolleyes.gif

but i bet a blind man couldnt consistently score 20 goals+ a season. and help lead his team to several trophys. im not sure how i feel about this. on one hand lamps is an incredible player for us. but on the other, i cant help thinking the club is being held to ransom.

I dont think any off the players are worth the silly money the are paid. The club have made a rod for their own back though by bringing people in on huge contracts.

Lampard probably looks at Shevchenko and thinks 'how can he be earning more than me'? 300.gif

According to this morning's Times, the money isn't the issue. The club have made an offer which is acceptable. They seem to be haggling over the other terms - including, presumably, the length of the contract.

It really wasn't very clear as to whether it was the club or Frank who was stalling on this. There was some suggestion that Frank was waiting to see what the club were up to in the summer in respect of new signings etc.

My gut still tells me he will be off.

Just been reading a bit more about this in the papers and it seems somewhat strange.

Lamps is saying that he wants it sorted but that the club won't discuss it until the summer. Whereas I thought it was Frank who deferred further talks until the summer!

You'd think that if the club wanted him to stay and the player wanted to stay that it wouldn't be that difficult to sort out 300.gif

Frank may have said in the past that he wants to wait till the Summer, but could have easily been instructed by the club to say that if asked. After all, it doesn't make the club look good if Frank says he wants it sorted now but the club want to wait...

Sheeraz:

17 goals again this season from midfield, and he's been out with injuries too.

Works his socks of for the team.

Loves the club and the fans which is something money cant buy.

Lets not pay him anywhere near what others are on who have done nothing for the club but moan and cause problems off the pitch. No lets have him shot icon_rolleyes.gif

Before pounding derby he had six goals in the premier league. That placed him behind rosicky and fabregas, neither of whom are asking for a $130000 dollar contract(I'm just guessing from the time this saga has carried on). Lampard can't bring plays together as well as fabregas either.

SWP works his ass off too whenever he plays for us. What is the end result? Does that make you want to keep him?

I'm not saying thta lampard is a mediocre player. He just isn't worth what he and his agents are making him out to be. And even if he was worth all this, why has the club allowed itself to be shamelessly beggared in this manner for a single player? What message does that send to the other players? I think it tells them that if they play well enough they can hold the club ransom for record deals.

What message does that send to the other players?

Personally, I think it would send out the message that if you deliver the goods for Chelsea football club the way Frank Lampard has for the past 6 years, then you deserve to be on serious money.

The club has a pay structure, and anyone who can't see that Frank's contribution to the club means that he deserves to be pretty close to the top of it really does have rocks in their head.

The pay structure was set when we signed Ballack and Shevchenko, and put them on 130k per week. Whether these guys deserve to be top of the pay structure at the club is a different matter.

Frank may have said in the past that he wants to wait till the Summer, but could have easily been instructed by the club to say that if asked. After all, it doesn't make the club look good if Frank says he wants it sorted now but the club want to wait...

I doubt that gem.

whether it's frank or his representation, it doesn't look great to me.

he says "wait till the end of the season", then after he scores four immediately says he wants it sorted...

Tom P, i agree. Like i said earlier i dont think any player should be on that kind of money. But its the clubs pay structure and once you pay 1 player you then cant complain when somebody who contributes a hell of alot more to the cause comes asking for the same.

That is where the real problem lies. He is only asking for parity, not more and IMO compared to Sheve he deserves at least that.

Sheva will be gone in the summer anyway, so while that was a mistake, there's no need to make another by giving Lampard more than he's worth.

I understand the emotional attachment that supporters feel towards Lamps and what he means to this Chelsea side but when it comes to business he won't get anything close to what he's asking anywhere outside Chelsea because he isn't rated as highly, and rightly so.

Don't get me wrong, i want Lamps to stay,although i believe his role within the team will and should gradually change, i just don't think he'll get better due to his account getting bigger. Overall, he's not been the same player in the last couple of seasons that he used to when he lead us to two back to back titles under Jose and to be honest he has had way too many below par performances in the recent memory.

Nothing suggests that players get better after 30 and Frank's right there. His heart may be in the right place(although the contract stalemate may suggest otherwse) but what about his body? Scoring four against Derby is fine and good but when was the last time you saw him dominate the big matches against top opposition?

Losing the big players may harm the club but it could also lead to the fresh start. It happened to MU with Keane and RVN, it happened to Arsenal with Vieira and Henry.

Sooner or later it will happen with Lamps. At this point in time the club is right to wait because a new manager(or Grant if he wins a major trophy this season) will look to build his own team where Lampard may or may not have the same role, if any at all.

If Chelsea sign a big name in the summer he will be on the type of wages you think Lampard is not worth.

If Lampard leaves on a free he will get what he want's elsewhere.

Just give him Sheva's wages and when he goes back to Milan icon_wink.gif

I don't think it's a question of the money (I haven't read all of the posts in this thread so forgive me if I'm repeating something), I think the problem is that the club will pay him what he wants for 4 years but he wants the same deal but to run for 5 years. (or it might have been 5 and 6 years they're arguing over)

It's reasonable that he should want that but it's equally reasonable that the club should be reluctant to agree to that, either way though it should be sorted. If the club really think he's being unreasonable they should tell the fans what he's after (okay leak it unnofficially), that way at least it wont reflect quite so badly on the club.

I read somewhere he also wanted a get out clause after 2 years depending on the new management structure.

I can understand it from his point of view, he wouldn't want to be at the club 2 yrs down the line not getting any playing time and watch the last few years of his career waste away. At the same time we'dhave the option to sell him as he'd still be under contract.

I think alot depends on who the manager is next year to be fair.

Archived