Nevin wants Grant gone, and reckons Rijkaard!

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Five contenders for the Chelsea manager's job

Oliver Brown (The Telegraph) runs the rule over five possible replacements for Avram Grant at Chelsea. What do you think?

1. Frank Rijkaard

Still a young manager at 45, Rijkaard is believed to be ready to embrace a fresh challenge after five successful years at Barcelona, during which he has won the Champions League.

2. Michael Laudrup

The Denmark international has achieved startling progress as manager of La Liga side Getafe, who this season have reached the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup and the Copa del Rey final.

3. Guus Hiddink

The Russia manager, whose contract is funded by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, is the bookmakers’ favourite to replace Avram Grant.

4. Roberto Mancini

The Inter Milan manager’s future has been threatened by a certain Jose Mourinho. His agent was reportedly in London early this month to sound out interest.

5. Gianfranco Zola

The former Chelsea striker is still popular at Stamford Bridge but the Italy Under-21 assistant maintains he does not have enough coaching experience.

Laudrup intrests me, he young and hungry and a big name - people will want to work with him.

However, at this moment id probably take Gordon Strachan over what we have got.

There has been very little mention, if any, of Erikson being the next manager at The Bridge. Seeing as we, or should I say Roman, was more than a little keen on him some time back.

I'd take him, a good club record and though it seems sinawatra may be preparing to sack him I've been impressed with what he has done there- obviously elano's injury and subsequent loss of form hurt them, but before then they were very attractive to watch.

my first choices, like they were when jose left, remain either lippi or hiddink. with a big no to mancini.

I'm not keen on Rijkaard. He is too laid back for my liking and I don't think he is all that, tactically. Watching him on the Barca bench at the moment doesn't inspire me with confidence.

I could be persuaded by someone like Laudrup. He has the playing pedigree and has done a good job at Getafe - it would be a risk though and we would have to be prepared to give him time. The other younger coach I'd be interested in is Sanchez - Flores. He did a good job at Valencia.

I think it is too soon for Zola, but it would be great if he was involved in some capacity.

Looking at the established names then Hiddink or Lippi would be favourite.

No-one has mentioned Mark Hughes. I always remember Wisey tipping him for a top job in management when he retired. His exact words were:

"Hughsie is the sort of bloke who doesn't talk much. But when he does, you listen"

And if Roman is dead set on "exciting and attractive", what about the fella who invented Sexy football and made us winners after 26 years of nothing. Mr Gullit himself.

There has been very little mention, if any, of Erikson being the next manager at The Bridge. Seeing as we, or should I say Roman, was more than a little keen on him some time back.

I'd take him, a good club record and though it seems sinawatra may be preparing to sack him I've been impressed with what he has done there- obviously elano's injury and subsequent loss of form hurt them, but before then they were very attractive to watch.

my first choices, like they were when jose left, remain either lippi or hiddink. with a big no to mancini.

Sinawatra would be crazy to sack Eriksson after the job his done there, absolutely nuts.

As an Aussie, I have a very very soft spot for Hiddink and think he is the kind of balanced manager who could build a side that is both defensively solid and capable of scoring goals playing aesthetically pleasing football. If anything, Hiddink is actually a little more on the defensive side and is actually likely to continue with a "one up front" formation (though that striker will get ALOT more support than happens currently).

Other good option I think is Eriksson (I think his proved himself now).

As for Rijkaard, no thanx. I have a strong feeling that he will be the man to take over next season, but its not really what I would like to see happen. Why?, well, I don't think he is all that tactically, I have a bad feeling he will play overly attacking football which though good to watch will lead to us giving up soft goals against teams we should be beating (and generally have under the much maligned Avram Grant) and, i'm not convinced by the the guys ability to turn things around when things aren't going well.

Laudrup, I really don't know much about this guy to comment, but one thing I do know is that managers go through hot and cold spells just like players. If you bring in a manager just because he seems to be doing well at the time, you will make ALOT of very poor decisions. I think Wenger was once quoted when asked about scouting that he looks to see how the player copes when his playing poorly moreso than when he is playing well to determine whether he should bring him into the side. This job is one of the toughest, highest pressure, most demanding roles in world football, whoever we bring in we need to know they have the conviction in their own beleifs to do what they think is right not what the pannicked masses are calling for at the time.

No-one has mentioned Mark Hughes. I always remember Wisey tipping him for a top job in management when he retired. His exact words were:

"Hughsie is the sort of bloke who doesn't talk much. But when he does, you listen"

And if Roman is dead set on "exciting and attractive", what about the fella who invented Sexy football and made us winners after 26 years of nothing. Mr Gullit himself.

Way ahead of ya

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7249&p=110532&hilit=sparky#p110532

Iv never been a big fan of massiv changes, more and evolution person my self.

It goes with out saying we need a manager change but i dont think rickard is the right man at all, not a big fan. unfortunatly i cant really think of any one else, i suppose thats the problem with coming from jose.

Laudrup looks an interesting proposition and based of the type of player he was you would like to think that he'd bring some entertaining football with him as well.

iv also thought about wise and sparky. both have done well so far in managment. not really with the zola idea as just cant see him as a manager. of course id take ruud back in a heart beat!!

as for the players we dont need a hell of a lot wether drogba stays or goes we need another striker, and hunterlar and aguero would be a bit of a dream.

Id also like us to give sinclare some playing time, he's a far better option than malouda and swp. and along with sinclare id like to see us pushing more players from the youth team

I reckon Hiddink is done and dusted.

He's been financed by Roman for a couple of years and will take over in the summer after Russia are knocked out of the Euro's. I reckon he'd be in place already if McClaren had got things right and England qualified instead.

I think this was almost arranged before a ball was kicked this season, and Jose was told to hang on until 'Blue revolution' was released so he would receive a pay-off, and Russia were out of the Euro qualifiers, which would have been around the same time.

No informed source - just an estimated guess.

Whomever may come in to replace Grant - if indeed that happens at all - would it be too much to hope for Gian-Franco to come in as his number two. Could he persuaded to leave his post as Italian under 21 manager? I think come what may, this would be the only move that would truly appease the growing disgruntlement amongst the Chelsea faithful.

I would support the move if it happened, he's done very well with limited means (moreso than you might think- his net spend is ridiculously low)... the football hasn't been total so to speak, but it's unfair to expect that from blackburn or wales.

still not my first choice though.

I wouldn't call Hughes attack minded based on what i've seen of him at Blackburn.

That said, he has done well there regardless

I reckon Hiddink is done and dusted.

He's been financed by Roman for a couple of years and will take over in the summer after Russia are knocked out of the Euro's. I reckon he'd be in place already if McClaren had got things right and England qualified instead.

I think this was almost arranged before a ball was kicked this season, and Jose was told to hang on until 'Blue revolution' was released so he would receive a pay-off, and Russia were out of the Euro qualifiers, which would have been around the same time.

No informed source - just an estimated guess.

I wish i shared your optimism bluenut, but I sincerely, sincerely hope this is whats going to happen.

Nevertheless, I could be sold on Laudrup, and might be convinced of the merits of Rijkaard or Hughes. But please, please no Mancini or Eriksson. If Mancini's Inter were never awarded the title that season retroactively, im willing to bet he would STILL be without a title there

just wanted to bring this back to peoples attention seeing as he is on his way out of City.

Five contenders for the Chelsea manager's job

Oliver Brown (The Telegraph) runs the rule over five possible replacements for Avram Grant at Chelsea. What do you think?

1. Frank Rijkaard

Still a young manager at 45, Rijkaard is believed to be ready to embrace a fresh challenge after five successful years at Barcelona, during which he has won the Champions League.

2. Michael Laudrup

The Denmark international has achieved startling progress as manager of La Liga side Getafe, who this season have reached the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup and the Copa del Rey final.

3. Guus Hiddink

The Russia manager, whose contract is funded by Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, is the bookmakers’ favourite to replace Avram Grant.

4. Roberto Mancini

The Inter Milan manager’s future has been threatened by a certain Jose Mourinho. His agent was reportedly in London early this month to sound out interest.

5. Gianfranco Zola

The former Chelsea striker is still popular at Stamford Bridge but the Italy Under-21 assistant maintains he does not have enough coaching experience.

Better add Sven to that list. 317.gif

Yes Sven is a goner at City - crazy!

But why not? Didn't Sven want this job and almost get it?

Second time lucky!

Low profile in the media (in football terms icon_wink.gif ), won trophies, has a good eye for players usually, likes spending cash, can handle the media in his own way, seemingly has respect of players, has had City playing good football.

Of the 5 mentioned + Sven, my order of preference would be:

1. Hiddink - absolute class in every respect.

2. Sven - has a proven track record in Italy and now with Man City. A lot better suited to club level management than international. Has proven with City this season that he has the ability to get sides playing good attacking football.

3. Rijkaard - not the greatest tactician, but his record at Barca speaks for itself. I guess the question is whether he is responsible for success at Barca, or whether it is down to the amazing group of players that he has had to work with. Would be a calculated gamble compared with the two men above in my opinion.

4. Laudrup - has obviously done well with Getafe, but might be a one-season wonder.

5. Mancini - don't really rate him as a manager. His domestic success with Inter has all been during a major slump in the overall quality of Italian football, where they haven't had any serious challangers. For the quality of their squad, and their finanical power, Inter have never even looked like contenders in Europe under Mancini.

6. Zola - as good as he was as a player, he has less experience in management than Grant. And I really don't think he has the right personality to stand up to the egos in the squad at the moment. Would love to see him here as an assistant manager, especially if we end up losing Clarke.