AVRAM GRANT'S BLUE AND WHITE ARMY

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Guest ZolaPower

Flasher, I couldn't agree more...

I called for him to be sacked after the Wigan disaster, and I will gladly eat some humble pie. He hasn't done it yet, but we could still win the double, which would undoubtedly make this the greatest season in our history. Now we have 3 more matches to play to take what we deserve. United will certainly be confident they can win the league, but they can drop points. If we take it one kick at a time, I believe we'll lift the Cup in Moscow.

I must admit, I just watched his interview on Sky and his words on Lamps and Holocaust day had me getting a bit misty. It was like something out of a movie. And for all of the times I've been in a fury over his formations and tactics, I thought he had us ready for the last 2 matches. Cheers Avram!

I think he's staying now and in a way he's earned it, not that i think he's the best man for the job...he's had a lot of luck (with the draw, riise own goal etc) and inherited Jose's squad, but he's got us there (although the players have done it) and we can't ask any more than that...I don't regret saying he should go...losing to barnsley and spurs in the cup competitions was a disgrace

Good call, Flasher. I too had lost faith in him. It was hard not to. But with a bit of perspective, we can all see that he has beaten

1. Fergie

2. Rafa

3. Wenger

the three widely regarded as the best premiership managers. And not only did he beat them, he beat them when it was all on the line at the biggest pressure times. Knocked Arsenal from the title race, tied ManU at the top, and now dumped Liverpool to go to Moscow. Anyway you cut it, that is some f**king fantastic managing, and as good or better as Jose could ever achieve.

I think we have right to be mad when this squad cant close out a one goal game against the likes of Wigan or Reading. We have come to expect those games as an automatic three points the last few years, but I will be the first to say that if Avram didnt have a squad of players who, to the outside observer, were full of Jose loyalists who looked to be quitting on him, he might have done even better. When players like that are gone, and ones he has bought are here, things will, im sure, look different.

Lastly, I would like to say that, win or lose in the final 3 games of the season, he has done a tremendous job to get us here. If a better replacement is lined up for the job, move him upstairs again, and give the managers hotseat to whoever. If not, then Avram Grant's Blue & White Army it is

Until he's got his own team that wins the league there are going to be questions about if we've got where we are because of him or inspite of him, but for the first time this week the players have reacted really well to Avram Grant and Ten Cate, maybe the players are comming round and if that's the case then he should stay in the job. I really believe that it should be up to the players if they want him to stay, if they want to play for him and his management team then let's give it a go.

In the meantime, well done Avram, well done coaches, and well done players.

Until he's got his own team that wins the league there are going to be questions about if we've got where we are because of him or inspite of him, but for the first time this week the players have reacted really well to Avram Grant and Ten Cate, maybe the players are comming round and if that's the case then he should stay in the job. I really believe that it should be up to the players if they want him to stay, if they want to play for him and his management team then let's give it a go.

In the meantime, well done Avram, well done coaches, and well done players.

I agree, I still want him to prove himself managing a squad of his own, playing a different style as proof he can do his own thing and do it well rather than just carry on in another man's shoes.

For me this team is Mourinho's team and any victories with it will be coloured by the fact that I know it's his team and that Grant has done little to mould it in his image.

But if the players and management around him seem to want him to stay and I get vibes that it's not PR guff just being spouted for show then that's fair enough by me, he should stay.

As Tony Gale said the other day, it's Mourinho's team, still playing Mourinho's system.

Only with less organisation.

Grant has brought one player, Anelka, and (when he has choosen to play him), often used him out of position.

I'm sorry but whatever happens, whatever we win or lose, I hope he isn't in charge next season.

Spot on Abramovich, I've never been a Grant fan and I loved Jose but even I can see that you can't have it both ways. We all expected our season to fall away when Jose was wrongly sacked, but it hasn't. We expected that regardless of who was put in charge for the rest of the season, but what's happened is an unfacied manager has got us to the Champions League Final (say it again to yourself) and into a position where with two games to go we can still win the league.

Jose shouldn't have gone and Grant shouldn't be our manager, but he has, he is and we're in a bloody good position for it. The players are the only ones that really know if it's because of Grant or inspite of him and so they should decide if he stays.

As for it being Jose's team, of course it f*cking is, Grant's had one mid-season transfer window and bought one player that we all thought would make the difference to us till the summer. Any manager that takes over a team is playing with the previous managers players unless you sell everyone and bring in 20 of your own players, and why would you do that with the squad we've got???

I see nothing changes around here.

We succeed = Mourinho's players.

We fail = Grant's poor management.

No you're wrong there. I was posting the comments made the other day by Tony Gale, which I happen to agree with.

Com'on be honest. He's hardly changed the team, the formation or the personnel one iota. He brought in one player in the January transfer window, not played him as a regular first choice starter, and when he has used him it's often been out of his natural position. Are you really prepared to let the guy lose with £100 million to spend on new players?

In terms of results Grant has done well since he took over. No argument. But personally I've still witnessed too many little mistakes, (mistakes which are often repeated), for me to place my faith in him. Players regularly played out of position. Repeated confusion over substitutions. Lack of organization at set-pieces etc. A lot has been made of how well he did during the ACN tournament with players missing. But you have to admit the team did practically pick itself from what was left. IMO, his job became harder when everyone returned and he had to make choices and decisions, and in that time he has got it wrong as much as he has got it right. Again, I'm afraid it hardly inspires long-term confidence from me. Sorry.

It's funny how fast some people change their opinions. When we draw against Wigan, there are so many topics on here about wanting Grant dead. And then we go on to beat United, are tied on 81 points with them with two matches to go. We go on to beat Liverpool and reach the finals of the CL, and all the sudden i see topics "Grant's Blue and White Army". I can only imagine what I'd be reading if Chelsea stopped reaching the European competitions once again.

I was against Grant being the manager from the start, and I will be against him until he leaves. He has not changed anything in my opinion, and if that's the case, he did not deserve the possition.

Now please, nobody quote me with "yes he has changed the team", because he hasn't. Mourinho already won the league twice, and last year we were going for the third until the final days. And who can blame Mourinho for the losses to the Scum in the CL? "Goal" in the first semi and the penalties in the second? I thought Mourinho should leave too, even though he's done more than enough for Chelsea, but not to be replaced by... actions1.gif

Can I point out it wasn't really all Mourinho's team was it. Surely Ranieri bought most of them?

I wouldn't say that Grant is a brilliant manager, but then I never liked Mourinho, from the start. Glad of the trophies but I think he created as many problems as he solved. I don't agree that he gave us self-belief, I think he created an environment where everyone believed that only he could lead them and without him they would be lost. And for a long time they were. But the team were never a collection of also rans, they were always world class players. Whoever took over from Mourinho it was always going to be a difficult job to shake off that messiah like quality that he had instilled in the team. But give him his due, Grant has done well to keep the momentum going and keep the team together and keep them winning.

I think it's a real shame that Chippy, who only ever said, that we should give Grant a chance, stopped posting because he was fed up with listening to the continuous battering he got every time he just asked people to be reasonable. He was right and I wish he was here now to hear people say it. (Just excepted)

..there are so many topics on here about wanting Grant dead.

Just a tad overstated there maybe? Show me one?

Yeah, I didn't really mean "dead", but I'm sure you don't want me pointing out topics where people are calling for him to leave...

I see nothing changes around here.

We succeed = Mourinho's players.

We fail = Grant's poor management.

Spot on! I too have questioned Avram's ability as a manager, especially after the Carling cup final, Barnsley FA cup game and Wigan match, but I also remember saying after José was sacked that I'd settle for 4th place in the prem and thought we'd struggle to even achieve that.

So considering the managerial upheaval, numerous injuries to key players, players lost to African nations, key players such as Essien, Drogba and even JT all being shadows of the players they've been in past seasons, to be level on points at the top of the prem and in the CL final is nothing short of miraculous..

However, whether it is all down to AG, Clarkey, the players or a combination of the lot I really have no idea...

One thing that has definitely changed since Jose's departure is that I no longer fear individual players being missing.

Because of the ACN and our injuries we have had to change the team around a lot more than in previous seasons and I think that the players have done exceptionally well.

Now I don't really blink if Cole or Bridge is at left back or Ferreira or Essien at right back or Alex plays in the centre. In the midfield we now know we can still do well without Lampard if Ballack, Essien and Maka or Mikel are playing. Up front we have Anelka, Drogba, Kalou, Cole and Malouda. Even in goal we know that Hilario can do a good job.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't want to see our first choice players for the CL final, but we do seem to be less reliant on any one individual.

Credit where credit is due. If you had asked me where we would finish when he took over from Mourinho, I would have said 4th. If you had asked me at Christmas, I would have said a distant third. Even 1 month ago, I would have been top of the list of people wanting to see Grant shipped out.

What Grant has done over the past 3 or 4 weeks has changed my view. Right now, I think we should only think of replacing him if a truely great manager (i.e. Hiddink, Lippi, maybe Eriksson - not the likes of Rijkard or Laudrup) is available.

And, if he gets a result in Moscow, I think that really does buy him his job for another season.

I still don't think Grant has the team playing as well as they should. They are still nothing like the inpenetrable unit that we were under Jose, and it's not like we are playing flowing attacking football to compensate for this.

But, as others have said, he is still managing Jose's players - so it would take a pretty special manager to use the special one's players to better effect than the man himself.

What he has done, and it has only come through in the cruch matches over the past few months, is to get the players to find higher gears in a match when we really need it. We went a goal down against the Arse, then we played them off the park. We knew that anything less than a victory against United would be the end of our season, and we played them off the park. Then in extra time against Liverpool, we were the only team who looked like scoring in extra time, when we knew that the first to score would win.

I think that to finish 2nd in the league on goal difference from the position in which he took over is an absolutely phenominal acheivement, and if he could put the icing on the cake with a win in Moscow, you can't sack him. You just can't.