Crespo's Contract Expires

Alan

After his contract expired this week, Hernan Crespo is no longer a Chelsea player.

The Argentine forward had been on loan with Inter Milan for the past two seasons, after playing an important role in our 2005/6 Premier League success.

Crespo, who turns 33 this week, signed for the club in the summer of 2003 when Roman Abramovich took control.

In 19 league games that season, Crespo scored 10 goals, with two more coming in Champions League action.

A year later he was loaned to AC Milan, scoring twice in the Champions League Final of 2005, before seeing his side lose on penalties to Liverpool.

Returning to Stamford Bridge, Crespo was a regular figure in the side during 2005/6, scoring 13 times in all competitions as we retained our Premier League crown.

We thank Hernan for his efforts in a Chelsea shirt, and wish him well in the future.

Official Chelsea Website

I always thought Hernan was a class player and wish he'd spent more time at the club. I'll always remember his lob against Liverpool in 2006 that was wrongly disallowed for offside, sheer class.

Such a quality player, it really was a huge huge shame he couldn't settle here.

I'll never forget him shedding tears when we won the title though - should how much it meant to him, which was obviously great to see in the modern football world of mercenaries.

That puts me firmly in the minority then, I wished he'd had the balls to fight through a little bit of homesickness and earn his money for us! He was undoubtedly a class striker but never really gave us much to be thankfull for, certainly not for what he took from us in terms of money.

That puts me firmly in the minority then, I wished he'd had the balls to fight through a little bit of homesickness and earn his money for us! He was undoubtedly a class striker but never really gave us much to be thankfull for, certainly not for what he took from us in terms of money.

Wasn't it more to do with his family not settling here. Not sure if it's true but i remember reading his wife had a miscaridge and thats why they didn't want to stay?

I loved it whilst he was playing for us and i wish him all the best, guess Inter will now get him for free :D

Man, looking at that picture I miss him :D

I will never forget that goal against Wigan. Seeing all those lactics fans with their hands on their heads while Drogba tackled Hernan.

Its a shame this never worked out because he was EXACTLY what we needed up front, and still need. The yin to Drogba's yang. And its exactly what we thought we were getting with Sheva

It makes me wanna search e-bay for an old 'Crespo 9' shirt

The headline at the official site actually was "CRESPO NO LONGER A BLUE". Sounds like a good riddance to me, given that he was one of the best paid Chelsea players. Not in the same categorie with Bogarde though

agreed

he could have been a great

but never seemed to settle properly during his 1st stint, then when he was recalled looked totally unhappy

He was a great player, and had potential to be one of the best. His touch and finishing looked so completely natural it was a joy tow atch, even better live and I was glad to have seen him live. His wife had a miscarriage shortly after the move to England, and wanted to be back in the comfort of familiar surroundings; thus, she wanted to stay in Italy. Crespo tried to adjust, but he's just lost a kid, and maybe about to lose his wife....you can't really blame him for that.

Remember, there was talk about Crespo living in Italy, but training with us. I don't know how accurate that was, but if it were true it is a testament to how great a player the club felt he was. Also, remember, his tears of Joy in winning the trophy with us? I believe that was his first league title with any club, so you know he greatly enjoyed that

To call him a mercenary, or in the same category as Bogarde is nonsense. you can't blame other clubs wanting to take advantage of him as a player, it was Chelsea who acted stupidly by offering to still pay half his wages. We should have just cut our losses and sold him

scott

Unfortunately for people like Crespo and Eidur, Jose liked his forwards to be big lads that could lead the line.

Crespo could and should have been huge for us.

Homesickness soon disapears if you are doing well and happy in your job.

I could be of the money here barn but i was under the impresion that his wife had a miscarige while over here couldnt handle it and went back to italy, his second year here she stayed in italy, to be honest i dont blame him to much...

On the player side of things, technicaly perfect!! not a player that relied on his pace, new where to be and when and was clinical!

I could be of the money here barn but i was under the impresion that his wife had a miscarige while over here couldnt handle it and went back to italy, his second year here she stayed in italy, to be honest i dont blame him to much...

On the player side of things, technicaly perfect!! not a player that relied on his pace, new where to be and when and was clinical!

I think you're spot on about his wife...

terrific footballer, real shame we didn't get to see more of him.

all his goals for us:

the cross from SWP down the right while he bombed onto the header goal for me remains the coolest one i can remember. All poor Hernan wanted was to be played in a proper pairing formation and get games.

would have been awesome. still you cant look back. and we had him while he still had his long hair and not the short hair crespo who sucked. XD

Pure class and so much a pity that we never saw more of him. Gee, he has been gone for some time hasn't he! Were we still paying half his wage until now?

Have to agree he was great to watch on his day . His movement off the ball was just superb and one of the best strikers I have seen sitting on the back fours line. Always felt our midfield wasn't good enough for him in his first season with us under Claudio but came into his own when given a good run under Jose . Crying shame we never tried a 4-4-2 with him and Drogba more often.

The goal he scored in the last minute at Wigan away was just pure class and a finish of the highest order

just watched that youtube video (again) and the one thing that stands out, apart from his skill and techneque, is his celebration after scoring, it's as if each and every goal was a world cup winning strike.

the man just loved to score goals.

I find it really strange that some players can play for Chelsea for a number of years, only ever say good things about the club and perform at a consistently high level for the club (JFH for one!) yet fail to be seen in as good a light as Crespo.

His off ball movement is just out of this world. He just killed us in the first half in Istanbul with his movement. Still he is a top class striker since he still has that composure in front fo the goal and off the ball movement to hurt opposition. I am sure lot of clubs will be behind him since he is free agent now.

I find it really strange that some players can play for Chelsea for a number of years, only ever say good things about the club and perform at a consistently high level for the club (JFH for one!) yet fail to be seen in as good a light as Crespo.

I'm with you 100%. He's bled the club dry even more than Bogarde did yet most fans seem to view him with affection. I can't understand it.

Yes his wife had a miscarriage and was homesick, but why could he not have been sold? Did no Italian club actually want to BUY him?

well that is surely the clubs fault for not selling him, not Crespo's! I don't recall him saying 'no no, you must keep me!" Bogarde was just a really bad signing, and was playing well out of his depths. He was signed to a 4 year contract, and was getting it as good as it ever would have got! Therefore, he was quite right to see his contract out.

To talk of him and Crespo in the same breath is staggering. Also, Jimmy was a great servant to the club, but he was not as great a striker (purely in footballing terms, not what they did at Chelsea) as Crespo was. I talk "favourably" about Crespo in a footballing term, not necesarilly a Chelsea term

Scott

I always thought Hernan was a class player and wish he'd spent more time at the club. I'll always remember his lob against Liverpool in 2006 that was wrongly disallowed for offside, sheer class.

That was the best finish I have ever seen, sheer class like you said. You wont find a player who was better at off the ball running than Crespo, anywhere.

Archived