Is the current squad strong enough not to sign in January?

Sheva

Is the current squad strong enough not to sign in January, or should we strengthen?  

88 members have voted

1. 1. Ooh what does this do?

• Yes, we can afford to use Sturridge/Matic etc for what will be 4 or 5 easy January games.
    • No, we can't swap Drogba/Essien/Mikel for youth players and pretend everythings going to be ok!
    • Forget January- we need to sign anyway!

Yet another stale performance put in today but we are still a number of points clear, we lack the form but remember other teams are lacking it aswell. Ancelotti has said a big no no too transfers in january by saying if he does sign anyone he will streak.

Is this a bluff or is he right in what he is saying, can we rely on on the squad we have now for maybe 3 transfers windows or do we need to spend over the top to bring someone in. We wanted that big name signing in the summer but didn't get it and according too Ancelotti we won't be in January, so what do you think.

Is he bluffing or are we maybe going to see no more new names at the club until summer 2011?

The ban has been suspended pending the outcome of our appeal. This means we can sign in January. Any decision will be made before the Summer and any punsihment will then be imposed. We will probably be banned for one window (i.e. Summer) so any moves need to be made in January.

So a straight swap - Joe Cole for Craig Bellamy (easy Nibs)

Yet another stale performance put in today but we are still a number of points clear, we lack the form but remember other teams are lacking it aswell. Ancelotti has said a big no no too transfers in january by saying if he does sign anyone he will streak.

Is this a bluff or is he right in what he is saying, can we rely on on the squad we have now for maybe 3 transfers windows or do we need to spend over the top to bring someone in. We wanted that big name signing in the summer but didn't get it and according too Ancelotti we won't be in January, so what do you think.

Is he bluffing or are we maybe going to see no more new names at the club until summer 2011?

I tend to believe Ancelotti. As others have pointed out before, one of the biggest criticisms you could level at Ancelotti is that he is very conservative in terms of his squad; prefers to keep a large core group of players and promote or buy squad players, and isn't really one for wholesale transfer changes. Going on past behaviour it's very likely we will not sign anyone in January.

I think we need to ignore Ancelotti's previous transfer marker history as his position with Milan was different form his positon now.

Yes. But if we dont end up signing someone, I think Carlo might be closer to his old Milan days than anyone would suspect. Namely a big club who become inexplicably tight with money.

I dont know what to believe, really, but for a few years running now we have been expecting a "big" signing to sharpen up our attack since Robben left, and Sheva turned out to be a dud. And, the Robinho fiasco aside, it hasnt happened.

Given the circumstances its getting to the point of "make or break". Last year we needed something extra up front and it never arrived. This year, we are showing the same signs of flagging around the same point. A big signing could be the shot in the arm the team needs, and I am hoping all these negative signs are just because CFC have learned to keep their cards close to their chest

While conventional wisdom is we will be banned from one transfer window, it is quite possible that we still are banned from two. That would mean no new players for 18 months. I think it is unfathomable that no one is brought in for this transfer window. The squad as a few holes and is getting older. There is far too much money at steak for us not to sure up a few areas. It may not be big names but I'll be shocked if there isn't at least one transfer.

While conventional wisdom is we will be banned from one transfer window, it is quite possible that we still are banned from two. That would mean no new players for 18 months. I think it is unfathomable that no one is brought in for this transfer window. The squad as a few holes and is getting older. There is far too much money at steak for us not to sure up a few areas. It may not be big names but I'll be shocked if there isn't at least one transfer.

My thoughts 100%. No point in naming names or guessing who but the simple question has to be why did we apply to get the ban upheld if we were NOT going to buy in Jan ?

As WW has said the club has (hopefully) learnt from their previous errors and are not giving anything away, and Ancelotti is also , quite rightly, hoping not to piss off the current squad by saying we need this player, that player etc....

Ive long since given up guessing what type of players our club will go after but if it were up to me i would be looking at top striker and a player to play at the front of the diamond.

I still believe we are looking for players and still believe we are going to see new face/faces.

I know Ancelotti have been using Sturridge, Borini, Kakuta and other youngsters because of ACN but he has seen how PL is like and how grueling it can be when you lose your best players.

Lets see how he talks about this if we lose to Fulham...

The ban has been suspended pending the outcome of our appeal. This means we can sign in January. Any decision will be made before the Summer and any punsihment will then be imposed. We will probably be banned for one window (i.e. Summer) so any moves need to be made in January.

But can't we sign players now, but let them stay with their teams until the summer? Or do we have to get them to the team now in january if we're banned in the summer?

If have to get them now I think that could cause us some problems. I think players like Aguero will want to stay and help their team all throught he season.

I think we have the ability to loan them back. After all, the players we have loaned out now can still come back next season.

But it doesn't provide any solutions to current problems if we do that.

I would like Ancelotti to streak...but pretty much zero of it is to do with seeing that Italian body ;) hahaha

The key for me in his statement is "we do not need players in this moment". How do people interpret this comment? Does he mean he does not envisage new players joining the squad for the rest of this season only? Or does he mean longer term? My interpretation is no one will join the squad for the remainder of this season but that doesn't mean we won't sign anyone during January with a view to joining the squad in the summer for next season. At least I hope that is what he means.

Double post ( message for mods - had some wierd message appear on screen saying connection had timed out - clicked retry and double post appeared)

Just received same message again:-

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to api.wipmania.com:80 (Connection timed out) in /var/www/vhosts/theshedend.com/httpdocs/sources/classes/class_session.php on line 1404

If we don't bring in someone this January I fear we're out of the tittlerace.

Yes, I know we're still 2 points clear of United

(could be 1 point down to Arsenal if they win their game in hand).

To rely on Sturridge and Borini while Drogs is away and Anelka injured?

I don't want to sound like I don't have any faith in them, but noen of them have played a full match yet or even scored a goal.. If Carlo is as reluctant to bring someone in January, Carlo either has it all under control and know Studge and Borini will step up to the plate and scoring lots and lots of goals. Or he's taking a mere chance, hoping one of them will shine.

I have no doubt about the talents of these two youngsters, but to put that much presure on their shoulders may backfire on us and see us sliding down the table pouring cold water on our tittleambitions.

Double post ( message for mods - had some wierd message appear on screen saying connection had timed out - clicked retry and double post appeared)

Just received same message again:-

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen]: unable to connect to api.wipmania.com:80 (Connection timed out) in /var/www/vhosts/theshedend.com/httpdocs/sources/classes/class_session.php on line 1404

Could well be a temporary blip - some programs run in the background from time to time and if it so happens that you try and do something at the same time then things slow down slightly and you occasionally get an error message.

I think we can get by without any new faces in January, I would prefer we brought one or two in espesially with the risk of no signings in the summer but I don't think it will be make or break for this season.

I think Anelka has been great this season and last come to that and discounting Drogba only Torres and Rooney in the EPL would give me any more confidence if paired with young Sturridge who looked up for the challenge yesterday and is surely desperate to impress while he has the chance.

Hopefully a few of the other boys will find some form and we'll welcome the African boys back with our lead still in tact.

I went for the third choice as I think we need a player for the tip of the diamond. I think for the diamond system that position is important. We cant only rely on Drogba and Anelka to score, a bit of a threat from the midfield would help, especially because Lampard doesnt offer that this season.

Another quality striker would help too because as soon as one of Drogba and Anelka is out we are basically f**ked (at least in big matches).

Archived