Sky Decide Against Having The Last Word On Chelsea

Dorset

There appears to be nothing, short of going into administration, that CFC can do to get the headlines on Sky Sports this season. Last week, following a sumptuous 7-1 thrashing of Villa, we the fans waited in vain for Andy Gray to tell it like it was on Sky’s The Last Word only to have our hopes dashed by the emergence of that new-found and fangled talent, Steven-Gerrahhhrd, with the lauding of his ability [to be both unproductive and inspirational at the same time] bizarrely taking precedence over a prolific Chelsea performance. Surely on this Sunday evening, of all evenings, the so-called Clash of the Titans would receive Gray’s customary forensic treatment and, along with a dollop of critical analysis on United, we would have the plaudits we deserved…

So, nestled into a comfy chair, I waited for at least small measure of Chels adulation to wash over me as the credits rolled and Richard Keys opened the show with a cheery, “We thought we’d have a change this week and look at the Champions Leagueâ€. You what! You what, you-what, you-what, you-what!!! Thought you’d have a change!??? When we’d just witnessed, by Sky’s own admission and hyped-up promotion, the Clash of the Titans and were desperate to have the bones of it picked over to our hearts content, here was Richard Key’s telling us ‘they thought they’d have a change‘! What, no little blue counters being moved about by Andy, to represent Malouda careering past Neville for the umpteenth time? And no little red counter representing Berbatov, standing stock-still for hours on end twiddling his thumbs whilst wedged firmly under those of the cigar-smoking JT and Alex? Why not, I screamed at the telly, why the hell not!?!?

What possible reason could Sky have for this sudden about-turn on content, a change that rendered not only the title of the show, The Last Word (on the Premiership games of that particular weekend) completely useless, but also showed a total lack of respect for an audience and its expectation? Let’s face it, there could be no better game to cover than a top-of-the-table battle that Sky themselves had dubbed a title decider, yet here they were ignoring the golden opportunity to overplay a hand of their own creation, an over-egging of their own pudding, and all for the sake of a half-hour of cobbling together a spurious argument in support of the Arse still having a chance to beat Barcelona in a Champions League quarter-final second leg tie….as if!

Then again, Sky have always found it difficult to criticise United for longer than two seconds at a time, so when this situation cannot be avoided [without unbelievable censure] and it is also accompanied by the equally unpalatable truth that Chelsea would have to be shown in a good light as a direct result, perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised at their avoidance tactics. Yet the presenters themselves cannot fail to be embarrassed by the ridiculousness of the situation they find themselves in and maybe this explains Gray’s ambivalence, as he mucked up his coloured counters alarmingly and reduced the art of button-pushing to frenzied guesswork. It wouldn’t hurt them, just for once, to point out some of United’s failings and they must know how stupid they look wading through the entrails of a six-day old Champions League game instead, especially when they had a fresh-as-a-daisy Premiership decider readymade for the mulling and mauling over.

By any stretch of the imagination there is only so much that most viewers can take in terms of Sky’s continual failure to be critical of United and the limit is probably reached when they revamp a whole program simply because the result didn’t suit them and hoped for scheduling couldn’t be put into operation. Imagine the coverage had we lost, with wall-to-wall triumphal trumpeting and on the hour, every hour, repetition from a Sky Sports News service choc-a-block with happy presenters - whereas now the only acknowledgement we have that the game actually took place is in the top right hand corner of the television screen, when the Premiership table confirms victory for the Chels and a two-point lead at the top. Heaven knows what they will do if we go on to register five straight wins and take the title in style - now that really would be the last word on the matter and couldn’t be ignored, could it?

Dorset, I understand your frustration...their commentary of the match was incredibly one-sided...however, the last word show tends to be a chance to talk about sky's product...when the champions league in on and they have a big game to show they will talk about that as part of the promotion for it...i assume gray talked a lot about arsenal-barca, utd-bayern?

Did they really not comment on the game that could decide the whole prem season? thats utterly ridiculous, yet not at all surprising from the sycophantic w**kers at sky, and i include Gray and his f**king puppet in that. truly sickening.

Dorset, I understand your frustration...their commentary of the match was incredibly one-sided...however, the last word show tends to be a chance to talk about sky's product...when the champions league in on and they have a big game to show they will talk about that as part of the promotion for it...i assume gray talked a lot about arsenal-barca, utd-bayern?

No mention of United-Bayern whatsoever, Brit, which made it all the more obvious that their intention was to change for a reason [because United did not win on Saturday] rather than having planned a program highlighting those English teams still left in the CL. It had all the hallmarks of hasty re-arrangement when none should have been necessary. Nor do I buy into the change being made when the CL is on because it's never been done before and the title of the program is more than a bit of a giveaway that the show should relate to either the game that has immediately gone before or the best of the previous Premiership games played over the weekend. As Bonetti said, it seems that, if it's not bad news, there is no Chelsea news.

"Chelsea FC finally finds cure to cancers, which was long over due and only obtained due to evil Romans billions.......but apparently Chelsea FC hates people with AIDs as they have neglected to find them a cure!"

"Manchester United officials express outrage over an alleged theft of the original serum from Old Trafford grounds. Manager Sir Alex Ferguson claims to be the first chemist to isolate the fundamental cause of cancer. FA officials decide to take no action, based upon lack of evidence, while saying that they believe the claim, thus proving that Chelsea FC did not cure cancer the right way."

Not sure about that show as we dont get it in NZ, but i watch espn soccernet presspass over here and i believe its shown in england as well and they are usually fantastic with unbiased reports. Their last episode would not stop praising the chelsea performance and criticising the many flaws in the mancs team. Not sure how many people watch it in the UK

Not sure about that show as we dont get it in NZ, but i watch espn soccernet presspass over here and i believe its shown in england as well and they are usually fantastic with unbiased reports. Their last episode would not stop praising the chelsea performance and criticising the many flaws in the mancs team. Not sure how many people watch it in the UK

Saw that last night here in Australia. They seem to always talk about us, seems you have to get outside of the UK an analysis of the Premier League that isn't a Utd love-in.

I think our problem is we need to stop looking for acceptance from the mainstream media. They don't like us because they think we cheated. But in the end, we should just be saying who cares? We are top of the league and if we win it I won't give a flying toss what Andy Gray or anyone else in the British media thinks, because the trophy will be ours and in the end that, not the media's love is what we as club crave.

SKY+'d "The Last Word" as I was working and expected it to be full of insightful comment on how the boys in blue stopped the great Manure machine ... I'll not bother watching it now ... thanks for giving me 30 minutes of my life back Dorset! :club happy:

Typical sky really if its not man utd or steven gerrard its not worth reporting , same old toss its even worse in ireland we have the premiership hosted by a twat with no football background (bill o'herlihy) who said this after the arsenal vs barca gamt the other night "But john they rescued a point" he was saying this to leeds legend johnny giles who could not hate chelsea more if he wore a i hate chelsea t-shirt and then theres Eamon dunphy who hates everyone equally but at least he tells it straight :P

Not suprised at all. They build it up all week as Blue v Red, 1st (where their beloved Man U were) against 2nd (the rightful place to the pretenders to the premiership crown), the clashof the titans, the Title decider and then they talk about the CL??? There is absolutely no way they would have done that had Man Utd won, no way!

Had they won, I'm sure gray wouold sicophantically be goingon about Man U's tenacity, will to win despite losing Rooney, and how we may have spent a lot of money (excuse me??? That was a few years ago now) but we don't have the class of their sweethearts. The main reason they failed to report on the issue is simple:

They would have had to shown Man U for the past couple of seasons have solely relied on one player to carry them to success. Rooney this year, and Ronaldo in the past.

If we go on to win this, I'm sure we'll get a customary nod and that wil be it! f**k em all

I found the same thing reading some of the papers the next day, i could'nt believe most of it. The media in this country are a complete joke. I thought i'd been watching another game.

Fergie is hardly likely to say his team were beaten by the better side but the press should have a bit more about them than just sucking up to him. They must have opinions of their own, is'nt that what their payed for?

They COULD have had a penelty, lets not mention the Berbatov tackle because it was'nt even a foul. We SHOULD have had a penalty.

Our goal was offside but theirs was handball.

Both Neville and Scholes were lucky to stay on the pitch so on balance i think we have more right to be angry about some of the dicisions on the day. Of course having won the game we did'nt feel the need to dwell where as for fergie thats all he had left.

Everytime Utd have lost this season Fergie has blamed someone else, its understandable from his point of view but you expect more from a supossed unbiased sports reporter.

We played them off the park first half, then hit them on the break in the second and at 2-0 at Old Trafford you'd expect to have to do a little bit of defending which we coped with quite easily. I've long thought that if you take a couple of players from the Utd team they were very ordinary, 2 have since been sold and 1 is currently out injured.

I wonder what Andy Greys opinion on that is????? oh looks like we'll never know now does'nt it.

Does anyone know what patrick barclay has had to say on the game? be interested to know what excuses that twat has been using.

I read his latest report and it went along these lines "LA LA LA, IT DIDNT HAPPEN, IVE GOT MY FINGERS IN MY EARS AND MY EYES CLOSED SO IM IGNORING IT"

Does anyone know what patrick barclay has had to say on the game? be interested to know what excuses that twat has been using.

First report I looked for, Jack, bearing in mind that Paddy is God [or at least Paddy thinks he is] and, like that delusional Gooner and his messianic bewilderment in the nearest and dearest thread, I’ve never been able to understand why He has chosen to come back down to Earth as a mere mortal with such a narrow mind, limited vocabulary and hatred for the CFC. That said, he did curb his usual disdain for us in the Times [The Game on Monday] preferring to have a go at Ferguson’s excuse-making and poor performance tactically. Had to laugh at these two sentences from the last paragraph though…

“At the beginning of last season Ferguson made some perfectly reasonable comments about the age of the Chelsea squad and on Saturday he lost to them having started with a team that contained five over-30s to their three. He has reconstructive work to do.â€

I take it that this is the same ‘reconstructive work’ Barclay would have made no mention of had United won, but, be that as it may, it should really come as no surprise to anybody to realise just how quickly he can swing from an appearance on Sky [in the Sunday Supplement] a week ago, during which he labels Chelsea ‘a disgrace’ for not wrapping up the title by Christmas, to a pre-match prediction that United, with the better squad, would win both match and Premiership, and then back again to a Times Podcast on Tuesday, in which he glumly informs his colleagues that he now thinks Chelsea are favourites for the title once again. This God does indeed move in mysterious ways, his journalistic wonders to perform, and I often wonder what a down-to-earth guy like Gab Marcotti makes of having to work in the presence of one of the most ill-informed and thought-fluctuating authorities on the game.

Archived