World Cup Standouts

ace

So I always like big tourneys like this where unheralded players can try and make themselves a household name, so I figured I'd start a topic for us to converse about what players are interesting and fun to watch. I figured this was a better way to do it then start a bunch of individual rumour threads, saying "CFC should sign __________, he is so exciting!".

Anyways, I haven't gotten to watch many of the games so far, but Alexis Sanchez and Gervinho have both been entertaining so far. Additionally, though his club career has turned into somewhat of a punchline, Dos Santos looked lively against South Africa.

I missed the Germany game, but I've heard good things regarding about half of their young squad, hope to get to see them soon.

That boy Sanchez has something special and I think it´s only a matter of time when he´s playing for a top club (Would like to see him playing for us as he is young and never gives up but possibly needs some time to settle). Lets see what he can do against solid Swiss side.

Obvious answer is Messi.

He just seems to be on a totally different level to everyone else and he will prove he is the best player in the world by far.

I think he's already proved it. He certainly was dominant today.

What I don't quite get is why both Nigeria and South Korea let Messi do whatever he wanted? I know Argentina has alot of great players, but take Messi out of the game and they will lose some of their power.

I don't think that South Korea did. I just think he is good enough to get free and create chances. You can only give him so much attention, considering they also have Tevez (then Aguero), Higuain and Di Maria up front.

So Man U's new Mexican still hasn't cracked the starting XI for them, wouldn't mind seeing him get a proper run-out to see what he's all about...

Saw that he got on the score sheet but since I'm sitting at work, wasn't able to actually see his peformance, how did he look?

What I don't quite get is why both Nigeria and South Korea let Messi do whatever he wanted? I know Argentina has alot of great players, but take Messi out of the game and they will lose some of their power.

Haha easier said than done mate.

My players of the tournament would be RMarquez, Forlan, Ozil, Messi, Greichting, Honda.

Missed the Chille game but heard some of their guys looked impressive. Fernandez etc

Seems epl players have been quite disappointing last round and early this round. Anelka, Gallas, Malouda, Evra, Vidic, whole England team...however only early days

1. Sanchez - looks a lot similiar to carloz tevez - hard-working, fast,skillfull, strong with improved finishing he could be one hell of a player.

2. Mark pastom,the kiwi goal keeper- looked excellent against Italy, great reflex saves.

ramirez, gokhan inler, bougherra,ozil -Looked good so far.

After a good enough start to the cup, I'll be interested to see if any Americans move after this cup. I think Bradley is the one who could make the biggest jump, as he is young and only plays for a mid-level Buendesliga team...Donovan is having a good cup and you have to see him as less of a gamble after the Everton move from last year. Dempsey and Howard are both playing well, but they already play for mid-level EPL teams, so I don't know how much further up they could go (especially for Dempsey). Demerrit and Bocanegra are too old to take a chance on, and Findley is one of the faster players I've ever seen but I'm not convinced he could hit water if he fell out of a boat. Onyewu is stuck riding the pine for AC Milan, and the triumverate of attacking midfielders - Holden (already at Bolton), Feilhaber, and Torres - probably won't get enough playing time to impress due to our reliance on having Bradley + Edu/Clark in the midfield.

Anyways, just a little rant from a Yank, obviously not expecting any of these guys in Chelsea blue next year, but like seeing my country's boys do well. On a related note, Wenger has been doing coverage for the French tv networks and apparently has said a lot of pro-USA stuff, so I've been seeing rumours floating around that he's looking after Howard, Donovan, and/or Bradley...please don't let that happen!

After a good enough start to the cup, I'll be interested to see if any Americans move after this cup. I think Bradley is the one who could make the biggest jump, as he is young and only plays for a mid-level Buendesliga team...Donovan is having a good cup and you have to see him as less of a gamble after the Everton move from last year. Dempsey and Howard are both playing well, but they already play for mid-level EPL teams, so I don't know how much further up they could go (especially for Dempsey). Demerrit and Bocanegra are too old to take a chance on, and Findley is one of the faster players I've ever seen but I'm not convinced he could hit water if he fell out of a boat. Onyewu is stuck riding the pine for AC Milan, and the triumverate of attacking midfielders - Holden (already at Bolton), Feilhaber, and Torres - probably won't get enough playing time to impress due to our reliance on having Bradley + Edu/Clark in the midfield.

Anyways, just a little rant from a Yank, obviously not expecting any of these guys in Chelsea blue next year, but like seeing my country's boys do well. On a related note, Wenger has been doing coverage for the French tv networks and apparently has said a lot of pro-USA stuff, so I've been seeing rumours floating around that he's looking after Howard, Donovan, and/or Bradley...please don't let that happen!

I was just going say say the same thing about Bradley. He is still very young and controls the midfield really well for his age. Plus, he never gets tired and does have the ability to score from the defensive midfield position. Now I am not saying he should play at Chelsea. He is nowhere near that good, but I think he could play for a team like Fulham, Birmingham City, or even Everton. He is much better than Holden and he is at Bolton.

I was just going say say the same thing about Bradley. He is still very young and controls the midfield really well for his age. Plus, he never gets tired and does have the ability to score from the defensive midfield position. Now I am not saying he should play at Chelsea. He is nowhere near that good, but I think he could play for a team like Fulham, Birmingham City, or even Everton. He is much better than Holden and he is at Bolton.

He's got to work on his tackling, pretty sure he's gotten sent off in the last 3 international tournaments we've played in, but yeah, I'd like to see him get a contract in England so I could watch him more (and hopefully his game would improve even more)

He's got to work on his tackling, pretty sure he's gotten sent off in the last 3 international tournaments we've played in, but yeah, I'd like to see him get a contract in England so I could watch him more (and hopefully his game would improve even more)

I think he has corrected this to be fair. I don't think he used to be in as good of physical condition as he is now so when he used to get tired he would tackle sloppy and draw cards. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him at the moment.

I'm far from the biggest Michael Bradley fan but he has been epic in this World Cup so far. I'm hard pressed to think of any midfielders that are playing better. As much as I would love to see him move to a big club, his situation isn't bad now because he has a unquestionable starting spot in a top league. American players always get derailed when they step up to a bigger club but can't find the pitch ever. If he moves somewhere, it needs to be somewhere he will get regular playing time.

I think he has corrected this to be fair. I don't think he used to be in as good of physical condition as he is now so when he used to get tired he would tackle sloppy and draw cards. This doesn't seem to be a problem for him at the moment.

I'm far from the biggest Michael Bradley fan but he has been epic in this World Cup so far. I'm hard pressed to think of any midfielders that are playing better. As much as I would love to see him move to a big club, his situation isn't bad now because he has a unquestionable starting spot in a top league. American players always get derailed when they step up to a bigger club but can't find the pitch ever. If he moves somewhere, it needs to be somewhere he will get regular playing time.

Yeah, even Dempsey and Donovan aren't guaranteed starting XI spots in England, Clint came off the bench for Fulham a lot this year (usually the first one off it, mind you) and Donovan was a sub for Everton a lot...I'm really not happy that Gooch went to Milan either, I'd rather have him starting at Standard Liege than riding the pine at AC.

Ozil looked good yesterday, I still can't get over the sight of Cacau leading the lines for Germany, just looks weird.

Archived