Chelsea v MSK Zilina (CL) 23/11/10, 19:45 KO GMT

Anelka

We should rest as many of our big guns as possible except probably essien whose suspended for the newcastle game. I think we should start with something like:

Turnbull

Paulo Bruma Ivanovic PVA

Ramires Essien MacEachran

Sturridge Anelka Kakuta

Does anybody think its a bit strange Essien arranged a big thing in Ghana so quickly after getting himself suspended?

Anyway

Agree with the team, but would play Zirkhov, if fit at left back.

I think we should only see Bruma in this game in the back 4, as he needs experienced players around him to see if he can fit in with them.

Look foward to see how him & Josh do.

My first instinct is to rest 5-6 players from saturday, play youth players and Essien. However, losing 3 match in a row is just a bit too much for Roman and the team, especially CL is his ultimate drea. I think we will see Cole, Malouda, Anelka etc rested, Drogba 45 minutes to get the goal he desperately needed, and Turnbull in goal.

No need to field the strongest possible team possible

paulo-bruma-ivanovic-cole

----essein-mikel-zhirkov/ramires

anelka--drogba--malouda

Need to regain some form fast and this is possibly the best way to do this. Best way to shut the press up, id hate to see the headlines if we lose or even draw this game

So no Terry, Lampard, Essien, Mikel, Zhirkov, Benayoun or Alex.

Guess we'll play:

Cech

Ferreira - Bruma - Ivan - Cole

McEachren - Ramires - Malouda

Sturridge - Anelka/Drogba - Kalou

Would like to give Anelka/Drogba and Cole a rest and use Kakuta and PVA instead, but I can't see that happening.

But if Drogba isn't 100% free from his malaria, then Anelka should play.

I want a win in this one, but even though we are at home I think it'll be a very tough game for us with so many players missing.

We might not need the points, but we need a win. Three points here would really boost the confidence.

Carlo has just confirmed Turnbull, Josh and Bruma will start. Essien still has a problem with his toe so wont play, Mikel has a knock too by the sounds of it. Zhirkov still out and Alex wont play.

So that sounds like something along the lines of:

---------------------Turnbull

Bosingwa---Ivanovic-----Bruma--------Cole

--------------------McEachran

------Ramires----------------------Malouda

Anelka-------------------------------------Kalou

----------------------Drogba

That seems a good balance of youth and experience. It's certainly a team that could hope to win against a fairly poor team.

So that sounds like something along the lines of:

---------------------Turnbull

Bosingwa---Ivanovic-----Bruma--------Cole

--------------------McEachran

------Ramires----------------------Malouda

Anelka-------------------------------------Kalou

----------------------Drogba

That seems a good balance of youth and experience. It's certainly a team that could hope to win against a fairly poor team.

I am hoping that not all of Anelka, Kalou and Drogba start. Why play the three of them when we have others itching for a chance?

We know what those three can do (or on recent form can't). Sturridge deserves a chance as does Kakuta and Borini.

I'm sure Didier could do with a rest after the bout of malaria. I would also rest Kalou whether he likes it or not!

Start with Anelka, Sturridge & Kakuta with a view to getting Borini on at some point.

I am hoping that not all of Anelka, Kalou and Drogba start. Why play the three of them when we have others itching for a chance?

We know what those three can do (or on recent form can't). Sturridge deserves a chance as does Kakuta and Borini.

I'm sure Didier could do with a rest after the bout of malaria. I would also rest Kalou whether he likes it or not!

Start with Anelka, Sturridge & Kakuta with a view to getting Borini on at some point.

I agree with this. Obviously there might be an issue of over-weakening the squad (another embarrassing home defeat might not be the best of ideas), but I think Sturridge and Kakuta should get a start. The midfield might be a bit lightweight if we're swapping Mikel for McEachran and Ramires is starting. Malouda might have a bit of a job on his hands.

I agree with this. Obviously there might be an issue of over-weakening the squad (another embarrassing home defeat might not be the best of ideas), but I think Sturridge and Kakuta should get a start. The midfield might be a bit lightweight if we're swapping Mikel for McEachran and Ramires is starting. Malouda might have a bit of a job on his hands.

Yeah. As I've said before, in an ideal world, McEachran would get his full first team debut with Essien and Lamps alongside him but with our injury nightmare that clearly isn't an option.

I Understand that Anelka has a knock so won't play in which case I guess Drogba will. Would still like to see Sturridge and Kakuta start and Borini get some playing time. Even Sala has been drafted in.

With all that youth, I would feel better if Cech was in goal.

And the latest addition to the injury list is... Michael Essien, who has an "inflammation of the toe":

ESSIEN OUT BUT MCEACHRAN STARTS

Michael Essien is the latest player to join the injury list, but there will be chances for youngsters against Zilina on Tuesday night.

The Ghanaian midfielder, currently serving a suspension from domestic action, will not feature in the Champions League either due to an inflammation on his toe, while Petr Cech will be rested and Yury Zhirkov remains out with a calf problem.

'No news from the last game,' said Carlo Ancelotti . 'Alex I want to protect, because we postponed the surgery because his reaction was very good. He didn't have a problem after the match but naturally he will not be involved tomorrow. We want to protect him to prepare for the next game.'

That means Jeffrey Bruma will make a first European start in defence, while Josh McEachran makes a full debut in midfield.

'Bruma will play from the beginning and also McEachran from the beginning. Turnbull will play in goal, Bruma as a centre-back and McEachran as holding midfielder,' Ancelotti explained.

'Mikel has a little problem on his knee and maybe he will go on the bench but it is time for McEachran to play. He showed good attitude and personality, and it is a good moment for him to have this chance.

'Our aim, in the Champions League, is to win the group. Tomorrow we have the possibility to close this group. We don't want a surprise in the last game at Marseille, so we have a great possibility.

'Now in this moment everything seems wrong, and we are at the top of the table and we won four games in the Champions League. We have to have control of this situation, it's a difficult moment, but we did something good.

'We are in the top of the Premier League and can win the Champions League group.'

LINK

Nice to hear Bruma & Josh will start. Hope Kakuta also starts as he may very well leave us if we cant give him more game time, this match (bar the pressure off the back of a few bad results) is the perfect game.

Poor opposition, home game and 1 point will guarantee us top spot in our group.

I would like PVA to start also, I was impressed with his attitude in the league cup game he started. While he could have done better for their first goal i thought he done enough to deserve another start.

-----------------------Turnbull--------------------

Bossy ------- Bruma -----------Ivan ----------PVA

-----------------------Josh--------------------------

--------------Ramires---------Malouda-------------

Sturridge--------Drogba ---------------Kakuta

I think thats more than enough to sweep that poor team aside.

Lets face it, while our kids may not be ready to star for us week in week out im sure Bruma, Josh, PVA & Kakuta could walk into that Zilina side. So i don't see any harm in them all starting.

If were cruising we can take off Drogba and bring on Borini. If we need a goal we can bring on Kalou.

Im not so much concerned about the kids starting as i am Turnbull in goal! He can be very hit or miss.

Im guessing since Carlo hasn't commented on PVA or Kakuta starting that they will be on the bench, which would be a shame

Yeah. As I've said before, in an ideal world, McEachran would get his full first team debut with Essien and Lamps alongside him but with our injury nightmare that clearly isn't an option.

I Understand that Anelka has a knock so won't play in which case I guess Drogba will. Would still like to see Sturridge and Kakuta start and Borini get some playing time. Even Sala has been drafted in.

With all that youth, I would feel better if Cech was in goal.

I was going on what Carlo said. He was clear about which of the youngsters were going to start, so I assumed that Borini, Sturridge, Kakuta and Van Arnholt wouldn't.

I would be happy enough if Kakuta and Sturridge played but I don't think it will happen.

To be fair, we do need to get a result. not just to qualify but to end a two match losing streak and build a bit of confidence.

Archived