Will Torres come good?

Star

Just think of a basic principle of football and you will get the same answer to play a big man

up front with a striker capable of making runs across the back line.

The Centre Forward should always stay in the zone, the space is created by his partner in crime.

Last night was Liverpool at their best granted, with passion from all over the pitch only seen when

they play us in important fixtures.

But Carroll and Suarez played for 90 mins in the exact way Drogba and Torres should, Kuyt gave

an all over the pitch performance that Essien once gave and Ramirez is almost capable of.

Tonight we are going in to our biggest game of the season without what would have been

unthinkable last season - Didier Drogba.

My mind goes back to Kerry Dixon, when he was in the zone it was goals goals goals, classic

centre forward play - Drogba drifts wide far too often and it's the reason why he and Torres

have failed to gel. Kerry was never the same once Speedo left and often was seen marauding

down the wing.

It's time Drogba got back to playing his natural game, my guess is he will come on after 60 mins

tonight.

I genuinely like watching talented world class players, no matter which club they're at.

Fernando Torres is a world class talent but something isn't right. Whether it's bedding into a new team, confidence or injuries I'm not sure but he's a shadow of the man that was one of the most feared at Ath. Madrid and Bin Dippers.

Would you bench him and play the more effective Drogba? Persevere with him in the hope he comes good this term?

Another question that's just been asked by one the lads here watching the game was: do you have to fit the team around Torres?

It could be argued the Liverpool set-up was geared to make the most of his talents.

Do you think Ancellotti (or the next boss) has to do the same or, can Torres adapt to that of his new surroundings?i

I don't think we should build a team around just one player. We've had success with a team biuilt around a backbone of cech terry lamps and drogba. The problem is lamps and drogba haven't been performing and look like it's only gonna get worse. Until we bring in a quality creative midfielder to replace or complement lampard, and we sign 2 quality wingers, torres, drogba and whoever plays up front will struggle to score goals.

There has been a lot of media attention on the lack of goals from Torres since he came here, but the fact of the matter is that he's come into a team with some serious problems of its own. None of the other players in the team have been scoring in any meaningful way and our midfield isn't exactly dominating games in the way it used to. Whether you blame the manager or the players is neither here or there, the point is that no player is going to be able to perform at their best if the rest of the team aren't giving them any support.

I agree that the team at Liverpool was structured to provide the majority of goals through the striker, whereas, for a while now, we've been able to score goals from any area of the park and not put much focus on one particular player. I think that Torres is good enough to thrive in either system, but there is only so much he can do - he is but one man. It is (as Charlie has pointed out) clear to see that Torres is not performing at the same level as he has shown capabilities of at his previous clubs. He must take some of the blame for this, however, it is not entirely his fault. I hope that a summer of training will enable him (and the rest of our players) to regain previous form otherwise we're in for a helluva lot of stick over the coming year.

I think Torres will score some goals this season, but not become the huge goalscorer we hope. He will probably do better next season, though we don't know what the team will look like then. Will we have the same players, or new ones and what will they be like? And will Carlo still be here or will it be someone else. And if someone else comes, will he be someone who can really make Torres score for fun again.

Questions, questions. My head is spinning.

The media attention certainly isn't helping him. As degOey mentioned, it seems to have been forgotten that he came into a side that hasn't consistently performed all season. Whether he'll ever be the player he once was is anyone's guess. For now we just have to hope he gets that first goal out the way. The comparisons to players that have flopped in the past mean diddly squit. He's been here all of a couple of months, the jury will be out for some time yet. He could score a hatrick at the weekend and some would say "Aaah but that's against a struggling side".

Edited by Scooby Blue

I can't believe it's been that long he hasn't scored. As I see it, we should either ease him in, or we play him until he scores. Playing his old mates 3 days after his arrival was a terrible idea, he was no where near fit, and booed off by the haters when he came off didn't do any good. Against weaker oppositions such as the Dainish, Stoke, Wigan, he didn't get a start, very strange decision. Today, he shouldn't have started, way too much pressure, and no confidence after the Wigan game. Of course he will get better, the goals will come, just work hard and don't read newspaper.

The media attention certainly isn't helping him. As degOey mentioned, it seems to have been forgotten that he came into a side that hasn't consistently performed all season. Whether he'll ever be the player he once was is anyone's guess. For now we just have to hope he gets that first goal out the way. The comparisons to players that have flopped in the past mean diddly squit. He's been here all of a couple of months, the jury will be out for some time yet. He could score a hatrick at the weekend and some would say "Aaah but that's against a struggling side".

A Roy led team that beat the media darlings, the other red team.

Torres has come into a team that for the last 6 years has become accustomed to kicking the ball, both along the ground and with some height, to a centre forward who is probably the best at holding up the ball. Torres is a striker who is probably the best at running onto balls kicked into the space behind the last defender. Totally doesn't fit our current style of play, unless both he and Drogba learn to play next to each other and he (or the other) can act as a decoy. And please don't scream this will never work. Carlo tried it for a few games but then gave up. I think this idea requires more persistence.

I think Torres will score a goal or two this season but not more than that based on all the posts above. He needs the summer offer, he needs pre-season with his teammates. And he needs to go give Lalkovic Milan a kick in the ass the next time he sees him at Cobham for being a tweeting moron.

Don't worry Chelsea fans United think they've got it good Barcelona or Even Schalke will smack them up in The Champions League believe me!!! Torres Will Score against WBA Watch it be a fantastic Goal then watch him come in handy for Westham & Spurs when we play them at Home he will score 10 goals or more i think by May!

Don't worry Chelsea fans United think they've got it good Barcelona or Even Schalke will smack them up in The Champions League believe me!!! Torres Will Score against WBA Watch it be a fantastic Goal then watch him come in handy for Westham & Spurs when we play them at Home he will score 10 goals or more i think by May!

I love Torres but even I'm not that optimistic. 10 goals or more including the 9 he scored at LFC?

I don't see it. The team is currently built for a Drogba type player. The only player on the same wavelength as Torres is Yossi. Doesn't matter though because Torres lack of confidence, form, body tired, whatever you want to call it is an absolute mess right now especially after today. I hope Torres proves us all wrong, proves you right, and scores 10 or more goals for Chelsea this season as you say.

I love Torres but even I'm not that optimistic. 10 goals or more including the 9 he scored at LFC?

I don't see it. The team is currently built for a Drogba type player. The only player on the same wavelength as Torres is Yossi. Doesn't matter though because Torres lack of confidence, form, body tired, whatever you want to call it is an absolute mess right now especially after today. I hope Torres proves us all wrong, proves you right, and scores 10 or more goals for Chelsea this season as you say.

Westbrom (Away)

Birmingham (Home)

Westham (Home)

Tottenham (Home)

United (Away)

Newcastle (Home)

Everton (Away)

7 Games Remaining As Good as he was for Liverpool he should be able to grab at least 1-2 goals per game being who he is as a Player regardless of his current form you gotta keep positive so he proves the critics wrong

no offense but that is so unrealistic and a typical childs fantasy

1-2 goals a game?

i bet you'd get odds of about 10-1 him scorin in half them games

thats 3/4 goals not 7-14

if he scores 3 ill be satisfied next year when drogba leaves for marseille or madrid i think we'll see torress at his best

nobody is mentionin mceachran, him and yossi could be critical for torres

I dont blame Torres at all... Its not his fault that we have no clue how to use him. Also we pay 50m and sacrifice Drogba (still by FAR our best striker) just to get a player that doesnt fit in our system. What we needed in winter was a winger and a creative midfielder, not another striker that needs the ball fed to him. It reminds me of Sheva all the way, from the poor first touch to the problem of not knowing how to make the striker recieve some service due to lack of pace and creativity. Lampard and Essien are out of form, Ramires with limited offensive talent and a role that limits his offensive play anyways. What do we expect?

I'm pretty certain he'll become a legend here. The squad has several serious and deep rooted issues with form, morale and desire which Torres can't do anything to help with. I've been impressed by his movement and attitude in games so far, he's made a good number of set ups for others and he's been pretty unlucky with the few chances he's had. We don't need to build the team around him and I don't believe we should, because if he gets injured we'd be pretty boned (ala Liverpool without him). But you could put any striker in the world in front of our midfield and you'd find similar results, such is their form at the moment.

To be honest we may as well write the rest of this season off as far has Torres being brilliant is concerned. Hopefully we will have qualified for the champs league with a few games to spare, and then maybe he will score when there is a little less pressure. A full pre season with the other players will do him the world of good. Anelka seems to be getting away scott free and he has been woeful recently. Plays in midfield, has shots from outside the area that barely reach the goal.

If Drogba was to leave, I would also sell Anekla, and look to bring in a player in the mould of Neymar, Snejder etc. Someone who can see a pass in behind. Essien, lamps, Ramires are not doing this.