Ferreira

Keiron

What is it he brings too our team??

ive seen him put a decent ball in yes

but ive also seen him get skinned constantly, even his first year with mourinho

i always see people on here rate him

and i cant for the life off me work out why

belletti was so much more effective in a match and not just for his quite often wonder goals

but what does paul bring

he doesnt get into a crossing posistion???

IMO he should have started last night, he's solid enough, can put in a decent ball and mostly importantly it would have freed up Ivanovic to play at centre back instead of the woefully unfit Alex.

It still wouldnt have changed the outcome.

People rate him because he is not a primadonna and he loves to serve the club even if not playing constantly. People have grown to love him. That is a quality that many of our bigger names lack. Zola had it and he is considered the best player in Chelsea history and I totally agree. You don't have to be an ars*hole to be good. Look at Ramires and Essien. Have you seen nicer blokes out there?

Paulo is not 90min every game quality anymore. If we want to keep him he gets the odd CC game or replaces an injured player.

Not sure why this is being brought up now, perhaps it's related to his appearance last night. But the time for silliness is here again, so I'll play the role of McMurphy and enter the asylum.

First of all, Paulo is not a world beater we all know this. Lets not suggest that any of us on here think he is Maicon.

I think the perception of Paulo on here is that he is a very dependable player when required and also an excellent club man. Of course he is a confidence player who has his ups and downs. However, I don't think enough faith has been shown in him over his time here which has certainly affected his performances because of the aforementioned confidence issue and also the fact that he is often asked to come in and play having not done so in several weeks. However, when he does fill in as he did earlier in the season and get a run of games (not at CB) he can show his ability. Mourinho said of him that he 'will never be man of the match but will always score 7/10 for his individual display.' Another thing that I appreciate as bjd and a couple of others on here do is his crossing ability, which is arguably the best in the club. It's a skill we lack in spades and his ability to get his head up and provide a high or low cross is something I wish we could teach Ivan to do.

Also he is always a positive for the team. There are no complaints to the papers, he generates no internal dissension, even on the days he isn't even picked on the bench. He sticks it out and when he gets his chance more often than not he is reliable even if he is outpaced a little these days. He also always gives the best of himself, his work-rate can never be questioned. Last night is a perfect example of these qualities, he came on faced with a seemingly hopeless task but he was still overlapping down his side creating an outlet and getting the ball in when he got the opportunity. If we played for 180 minutes with even close to the energy he showed in his 10 then we would have come much closer to getting through. I honestly hope he stays on here as a part of the backroom staff when he does retire. He is one of only 7 players who were here in all of our PL wins and should always be remembered fondly because of that.

Solid player, never brillant. He never complains, always put his best effort when given the chance, not taking home a huge pay check. He's coming to the end of his career anyway, it's not like anyone will pay for his service, let him retire gracefully as a humble servant to the club.

What is it he brings too our team??

ive seen him put a decent ball in yes

but ive also seen him get skinned constantly, even his first year with mourinho

i always see people on here rate him

and i cant for the life off me work out why

belletti was so much more effective in a match and not just for his quite often wonder goals

but what does paul bring

he doesnt get into a crossing posistion???

your beef should be with carlo not PF

Ferreira playing much for us is going to be very rare scene in future with the inclusion of Luiz.

Looking at the way what Carlo had done i.e. shifting Ivan from RB to CB and bringing in Bosingwa at RB , even when Alex was injured than going for Ferreira denotes that Carlo didn't rate him that much.

Ferreira's role will be further under scrutiny if the coach is changed in next few months , which would make clear if Paulo stays at bridge or is moved somewhere else.

Ferreira's role will be further under scrutiny if the coach is changed in next few months , which would make clear if Paulo stays at bridge or is moved somewhere else.

managers come and go at Chelsea but Paulo outlasts them all

Im not sure what has prompted this thread out of nowhere - we are lucky to have such a hard working, experienced professional in our squad happy to play the odd game here and there.

There really are far bigger issues at the moment.

IMO he should have started last night, he's solid enough, can put in a decent ball and mostly importantly it would have freed up Ivanovic to play at centre back instead of the woefully unfit Alex.

Everyone was hoping Alex would be fit for the game so Ivan could play at right back and I was pleased to see him start, that said he was not at his sharpest and Ivan was not having a great time at RB...Carlo identified this and brought on a reliable player that can defend better than Bosingwa, Cross better than Bosingwa or Ivan and allowed Ivan to get back to CB, Paulo played well when he came on and in hindsight I would have started him, I don't see a problem with the Manager not having the foresight to know that with hindsight that would have been a good idea :D .

I like Paulo and he has been a big factor in all our Silverware, not just when he was an integral part of our meanest ever defence but with the bit parts hes been happy to play since where he has made the odd mistake and had a few forgettable performances but is the best third choice RB come back up CB around.

managers come and go at Chelsea but Paulo outlasts them all

Yes. that's what I meant as well...managers come and go , but they decide who plays in squad and who is out.

Carlo didn't have much faith in him and he chose to give chance to other players over him.

So if a new manager arrives , it remains to be seen what would be Ferreira's place in squad.

Edited by Jawan

Everyone was hoping Alex would be fit for the game so Ivan could play at right back and I was pleased to see him start, that said he was not at his sharpest and Ivan was not having a great time at RB...Carlo identified this and brought on a reliable player that can defend better than Bosingwa, Cross better than Bosingwa or Ivan and allowed Ivan to get back to CB, Paulo played well when he came on and in hindsight I would have started him, I don't see a problem with the Manager not having the foresight to know that with hindsight that would have been a good idea :D .

I agree mate, in hindsight PF should have started, Alex was not match fit, but thats the problem for me, Carlo should have identified Alex was not ready from the training sessions, thats mistake #1.

Mistake #2 is that he decided to bring on PF for Alex when we had 9 minutes left on the clock and needed to find 2 goals , leaving Zhirkov and Benayoun on the bench.

Edited by coco

I agree mate, in hindsight PF should have started, Alex was not match fit, but thats the problem for me, Carlo should have identified Alex was not ready from the training sessions, thats mistake #1.

Mistake #2 is that he decided to bring on PF for Alex when we had 9 minutes left on the clock and needed to find 2 goals , leaving Zhirkov and Benayoun on the bench.

To be fair within 3 minutes of coming on the pitch PF had put in the best cross of the game for us and set up Kalou with a great chance (that he fluffed). If we had scored from either one of them Carlo would have been hailed a genius. Such is the fine line in football.

To be fair within 3 minutes of coming on the pitch PF had put in the best cross of the game for us and set up Kalou with a great chance (that he fluffed). If we had scored from either one of them Carlo would have been hailed a genius. Such is the fine line in football.

Yeah totally agree with you, but it's still a like-for-like substitution PF>Ivan>Alex, a shift in the defence with a slightly more attacking option down the right (even though Ivan was doing ok down the right and he is also a vital player in the air when we have attacking corners, it was more the fact Alex was f**ked by then and needed replacing).

Carlo made a defensive substitution, no problem with that, but when your 9 minutes away from being dumped out of the holy grail competition and you have players like Zhirkov and Benayoun sat on the bench, and you dont use them, and we lose, and your boss is called Roman, your in trouble.