U21 Euros

Andreas

When the seasons over we'll have some football to watch at least, I remember the last u21s in Sweden which turned out to be a great watch with all the drama and that, hope this one will be as good.

Sturridge will be one of the guys I'll have a look out for as hes most likely going to get picked to the 23 man squad in the end.

I believe it starts 11th of June and ends last of June, not 100% sure though!!

Might be worse checking out some of the games. Remember the one in Sweden, that was a great time and Sweden really did have a good team.

Guess the stands will be crowded with scouts from all the big clubs in the world trying to find some supertalent.

Always good to watch, and yes it does give us a chance to see the next talent Europe has to offer. But wasn't the last hot prospect to come out of the Euro U21 Royston Drenthe?

Anyone know which (if any) broadcaster is showing it in the UK? I cant understand the apathy shown towards these tournaments by English tv and football fans.

I remember the last one when england were playing sweden and being a skint student at the time i decided to put my last £30 on england to win. All looked rosy at half time so i switched it over to the simpsons, low and behold i turn it back on and it was 3-3... Devastated!

Going to stay away from betting on it this year but hopefully Josh will be in the squad and will get a run out.

• 2 weeks later...

Squad was just announced. Josh didn't make it. Wilshire and Carroll weren't picked either but for obviously different reasons.

England squad for European U21 Championship:

Goalkeepers: Fielding (Derby), Steele (Middlesbrough), McCarthy (Reading).

Defenders: Bertrand (Chelsea), Gibbs (Arsenal), Jones (Blackburn), Mancienne (Chelsea), Richards (Man City), Smalling (Man Utd), Walker (Spurs).

Midfielders: Albrighton (A Villa), Cork (Chelsea), Cleverley (Man Utd), Henderson (Sunderland), Lansbury (Arsenal), Muamba (Bolton), Rodwell (Everton), Rose (Spurs).

Strikers: Sinclair (Swansea), Delfouneso (A Villa), Sturridge (Chelsea), Welbeck (Man Utd), Wickham (Ipswich).

Telegraph:England's Euro 2012 and Under-21 squads

Looks at good team to me.

I think that everyone picked was playing reasonably regularly, which goes against Josh. Also I'd think that Rodwell and Henderson will start alongside Albrighton and Sinclair in a 4 man midfield with Sturridge and Wellbeck ahead of them so there probably wasn't room for Josh in the starting lineup anyway.

I have been looking at the squads and noticed that neither France or Germany qualified which seemed odd to me. Perhaps all of Germany's stars were playing with the senior team. All that in mind England aren't a bad shot of making the final again if not winning it.

Edited by Spiller86

Shame Josh didn't make it. With Wilshere opting out I thought he was as good as in - especially as Pearce was singing his praises a while back. He has however been included in the U19's. Very surprised the Man Utd youngster Ravel Morrison didn't make it. He looks a bit special although he also looks one huge load of trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Tell you what, just watching Denmark vs Switzerland and Shakiri looks like a quality little player, created some good chances and then went on a great run and finished very well. One to look out for in the rest of the tournement for sure.

Shaqiri certainly had an influence last night as he did against England last week, I really thought Ericksen would be the one to dominate but I was surprised.

On another note here's hoping our Chelsea boys (and former boys) shut the smug Spanish up tonight. I see Thiago was out yesterday claiming England are bunch of no names without Wilshire. In fairness Spain did bring Mata and Martinez who both went to the WC last year but I think England have a stronger team than they're being given credit for. I'd love to see England burn Spain with a nice piece of direct play and a cross from Sinclair or Albrighton for Danny. Just to rub their noses in their boring tiki taka rubbish.

Read that from Thiago, bit out of order really and hopefully, along with England being written off as no hopers by pretty much everyone I hope this gives our lads a massive incentive to shove it back up the arse of everyone.

I hope they do as well, but I think the movement of Mata and Capel in particular might trouble Mancienne and Muamba. Martinez is also a great ball player and Thiago isn't bad either from the little I've watched of him. I think we're going to get a real look at how good Rodwell and Henderson are with all the hype stripped away tonight. It'll be interesting to see how they come up.