Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

There you are Cath. Check back in this thread, there are some more of you. Notice the picture from Västerås where I labelled some of our fans. I have noticed a mistake, I had Warren down as Eamon. Apart from that you might be able to add some input on the other names.

Edited by GarryJones

I am in the top photo - 20 years old and still innocent - what memories!

Welcome to the site Cath, met you at the MK end of season shindig a few years back on one of them nights where the most up to date talk probably only got as late as 1983, all the best.

What match is this? It is labelled as 1976 but it looks earlier.

Video: http://www.britishpa...sea+Footballers

As stills http://www.britishpa...sea-footballers

Sad I know but I got it from the programme that the kid's holding at about 2:50, it's 74/5, my first relegation season. Remember those portakabin bogs the other side of the turnstiles, almost as bad as them in the West stand.

Welcome back Garry! Great to see you posting again. I remember exchanging a few memories with you on the original PR forum back in the day. I still check on your old site once in a while to see if you have added any more content. Your accounts of the years 76-81 made for a riveting read and I reckon there is a book in there somewhere.

I notice Terry Last in quite a few of those photos. Didn't the Met's finest try and frame him up to be the leader of the headhunters back in the day? Thankfully that whole case fell to pieces in the end.

Anyway keep the posts coming. Some great stories and clips already on this thread.

I notice there is also a lot of good stuff on the ITN website: http://www.itnsource.com/

You can search for Chelsea by decade etc. They even have the legendary news footage of the 4-3 comeback against Bolton in 1978-79 season in their stock. But its not available for preview yet. Would love to see that.

Here is footage from another entertaining game. A 3-3 draw away against a good Luton Town side in 1980:

http://www.itnsource.com/shotlist//ITN/1980/01/01/FS010180065/?s=chelsea&st=0&pn=2

Welcome back Garry! Great to see you posting again. I remember exchanging a few memories with you on the original PR forum back in the day. I still check on your old site once in a while to see if you have added any more content. Your accounts of the years 76-81 made for a riveting read and I reckon there is a book in there somewhere.

I notice Terry Last in quite a few of those photos. Didn't the Met's finest try and frame him up to be the leader of the headhunters back in the day? Thankfully that whole case fell to pieces in the end.

Anyway keep the posts coming. Some great stories and clips already on this thread.

I notice there is also a lot of good stuff on the ITN website: http://www.itnsource.com/

You can search for Chelsea by decade etc. They even have the legendary news footage of the 4-3 comeback against Bolton in 1978-79 season in their stock. But its not available for preview yet. Would love to see that.

Here is footage from another entertaining game. A 3-3 draw away against a good Luton Town side in 1980:

http://www.itnsource...elsea&st=0&pn=2

Great to see the toilet rolls being thrown on to pitch about 47 seconds in. :biggrin: Good footage.

Would love to see that 1978 comeback game v Bolton again.

To be honest mate i'm not that much a fan of Facebook & have always said i'll never join it, though after some of my mates have been on & on at me about it i have been thinking recently of joing it just for the Chelsea side of things maybe with my nickname(Cathy knows it) rather than my real name, if/when i do join up i'll let you know.

Just a warning, we set up a Facebook site for Chelsea fans in Melbourne which made me finally sign up (with nickname too). Trouble is people who know your email address can then ask you to be their friend.....in fact I think the computer even tells them your on facebook.....rude not to accept....you end up inundated with f*ckin photos of their kids etc.!!!

They have got the wrong year and it is man city,the year is 73/74 as Steve kember is running out the tunnel and he left chelsea when we went down in 74/75 .

74/5 mate, look at the programme one of the kids is holding at about 2:50. 73/4 was the last year of the pocket size prog before it changed to one the same size as todays and doubled in price to 10p, outrageous!!!.

Just a warning, we set up a Facebook site for Chelsea fans in Melbourne which made me finally sign up (with nickname too). Trouble is people who know your email address can then ask you to be their friend.....in fact I think the computer even tells them your on facebook.....rude not to accept....you end up inundated with f*ckin photos of their kids etc.!!!

To be honest mate i can see its good points like finding old mates ect but it also has its downside to it, i know a fella who accepted a friends request from an ex, nothing in it at all but his mrs found out & went ape sh*t.

Funy you mention about fb & emails, a while back i got an email from fb telling me that certain names in my contacts list were on fb it even had their pictures attached, got me quite paranoid i must admit, If/when i do it i'll use my other email addy that has nothing to do with my real name.

The game is likely to be Chelsea v Man City 12th April 1975. We lost 1-0. With the East Stand complete it must be 74-75 at least. And as said the programme is a 74-75 programme. However, it "could" be 76 as the young fan may have just bought an missing programme in the programme shop from the previous season. :) But interesting point about Kember, according to Wikipedia ".....and Kember moved back to the top-flight, to Leicester City, shortly after Chelsea's relegation (in 1975).

Another Chelsea player who went to Leicester was of course, Keith Weller. At Leicester he was known as "Leicester's Georgie Best". However most MOTD viewers remember when he turned up for a cold winter game wearing a pair of his wife's white stockings. Dunno whether the keeper fell over laughing but they certainly worked as he scored wearing them. Leicester v Norwich, FA Cup 1979 -

(Yes I know this is a Chelsea thread but this does have a Chelsea connection. I'd actually forgotten that Keith died of cancer back in 2004. His Wikipedia page reminded me. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Weller

> They even have the legendary news footage of the 4-3 comeback against Bolton in 1978-79 season in their stock

I can't wait, probably the happiest 10 minutes of my youth. (On a par with the 4-2 against Liverpool in 78 and the half-time break just after Fillery's rocket against Tottenham in the 1982 q/f.)

If they have Bolton then they must have the 7-3 away to The Orient in 79 when Lee Frost scored a hat-trick. I'd love to see that as would one of my Facebook friends (Lee Frost's wife).

Hope they release all this soon.

> They even have the legendary news footage of the 4-3 comeback against Bolton in 1978-79 season in their stock

I can't wait, probably the happiest 10 minutes of my youth. (On a par with the 4-2 against Liverpool in 78 and the half-time break just after Fillery's rocket against Tottenham in the 1982 q/f.)

If they have Bolton then they must have the 7-3 away to The Orient in 79 when Lee Frost scored a hat-trick. I'd love to see that as would one of my Facebook friends (Lee Frost's wife).

Gary a mate of mine has loads of old games & footage on dvds & is happy to do swaps rather than charge anything, i'll get him to send you a list of games he has if you want to pm me your address?

Have a look at Razor 4660's channel on youtube thats some of his footage on there.

A mate of mine in work had been recording CFC bits and pieces from 1981 which I got copied. I bought my Betamax in February 1982 and have most clips of Chelsea shown until 88. I was fairly early compared to most in owning a VCR. (It cost me £1200 which is much more in today's money).

Garry I wasn't able to dig up footage of the 7-3 win at Orient but I too remember it as one of the happier days from that era. Funnily enough there was a photo on the Chelsea website in the Shot of the Day recently that came from that day. I'm sure Lee's wife already has a copy but I'll post it here in case anybody missed it. Classic snap. Good to see Mike Fillery in there too. Still remember his free kick against Spuds in that FA Cup QF. We could do with some of his guile in midfield today.

19791110.jpg

Update on that. Yes I sent those photos to Lee's wife. There are two, the one on the CFC site didn't have the "7" iirc so I guess you got that off Wikipedia. (Or is it the other way around?). Lee still has that ball "somewhere at his mums", but he refuses to join facebook. I am, by the way, facebook friends with Terry Last, Jody Morris, Micky Droy, Ron Harris and Fillery's wife. And the Olympic gold medalist from 1976 (Cycling Road Race).