Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Celebration on pitch at The Dell after 1-1 draw against Southampton 6th October 1981. (League cup 2nd round, 1st leg. We knocked them out at the Bridge). Soton were high flyers in the top flight, we were a league below. (Soton finished 6th this year and went on to nearly win the top flight in 83-84 when they were runners up. This game was something to cheer about.sotonawayceleb.jpg

Edited by GarryJones

Celebration on pitch at The Dell after 1-1 draw against Southampton 6th October 1981. (League cup 2nd round, 1st leg. We knocked them out at the Bridge). Soton were high flyers in the top flight, we were a league below. (Soton finished 6th this year and went on to nearly win the top flight in 83-84 when they were runners up. This game was something to cheer about.a>

Great picture there Garry, i remember watching Blue Peter when i was a kid & they had a piece on Chelsea fans ect the game was v Southampton possibly the 2nd leg, i cant remember who the presenter was but he was stood on the shed terrace doing his report, i've emailed both the bbc & Blue Peter in the past about it but to no avail.

Celebration on pitch at The Dell after 1-1 draw against Southampton 6th October 1981. (League cup 2nd round, 1st leg. We knocked them out at the Bridge). Soton were high flyers in the top flight, we were a league below. (Soton finished 6th this year and went on to nearly win the top flight in 83-84 when they were runners up. This game was something to cheer about.

Was that the game where Keegan tried to handle the ball in on the back post in front of the away end? Boy did he get some clog for trying that on.

Great picture there Garry, i remember watching Blue Peter when i was a kid & they had a piece on Chelsea fans ect the game was v Southampton possibly the 2nd leg, i cant remember who the presenter was but he was stood on the shed terrace doing his report, i've emailed both the bbc & Blue Peter in the past about it but to no avail.

It was Peter Duncan. I remember he ran the London Marathon a few times back then and I think he trained with the Chelsea team for a bit. Our young goalkeeper at the time Steve Francis got a bit of airtime on Blue Peter as part of the report. Talking of Blue Peter wasn't one of the Ferdinand clan (Uncle Les) part of the crew that destroyed the Blue Peter garden back in the day? I seem to remember him owning up in a magazine interview.

Was that the game where Keegan tried to handle the ball in on the back post in front of the away end? Boy did he get some clog for trying that on.

Dunno. The 1-1 was the game were Cathy and I ran on the pitch when we scored. Rhodes-Brown grabbed and cuddled Cathy and then suggested we got off the field. We were in the seats at the side.

Bill Shankley had just died on 29th September and his funeral was in the 2nd October. This game was 4 days later. A one-off Chelsea chant (evil) heard that night was "We all agree put Keegan and Shankley together".

We had played Southampton in the FA Cup 3rd round back in January of the same year, losing 3-1. I was in the Chelsea end then and remember we gave Steve Moran a lot of stick because he had a face like a little baby. (We sung "baby-face" at him). We lost 3-1 that day but Keegan's handball escapes me so it was in either game. It's possible the Shankley chant may have been the retaliation for the handball so you could well be right. Another thing about the League cup match. Our 3rd goalkeeper had to play, Steve Francis made his debut. With Liverpool sporting so many stars we expected to be hammered. I remember Francis diving bravely at Keegan's feet and pulling off a couple of great saves early on. Shilton was playing that night, our boys responded to Steve Francis great work with the "Francis England's number 1" chant.

Dunno. The 1-1 was the game were Cathy and I ran on the pitch when we scored. Rhodes-Brown grabbed and cuddled Cathy and then suggested we got off the field. We were in the seats at the side.

Bill Shankley had just died on 29th September and his funeral was in the 2nd October. This game was 4 days later. A one-off Chelsea chant (evil) heard that night was "We all agree put Keegan and Shankley together".

We had played Southampton in the FA Cup 3rd round back in January of the same year, losing 3-1. I was in the Chelsea end then and remember we gave Steve Moran a lot of stick because he had a face like a little baby. (We sung "baby-face" at him). We lost 3-1 that day but Keegan's handball escapes me so it was in either game. It's possible the Shankley chant may have been the retaliation for the handball so you could well be right. Another thing about the League cup match. Our 3rd goalkeeper had to play, Steve Francis made his debut. With Liverpool sporting so many stars we expected to be hammered. I remember Francis diving bravely at Keegan's feet and pulling off a couple of great saves early on. Shilton was playing that night, our boys responded to Steve Francis great work with the "Francis England's number 1" chant.

Back then i used to listen to our away games on the radio what with being young ect & i remember hearing about the Southampton fa cup game & the commentator going mental about "disgusting behvaiour by Chelsea fans for not returning the ball" when it went in our end, i did have a cutting off Petr Borota in the following programme praising our away support but asking for no silly behaviour like keeping the ball lol!

Back then i used to listen to our away games on the radio what with being young ect & i remember hearing about the Southampton fa cup game & the commentator going mental about "disgusting behvaiour by Chelsea fans for not returning the ball" when it went in our end, i did have a cutting off Petr Borota in the following programme praising our away support but asking for no silly behaviour like keeping the ball lol!

HaHa, you reminded me. Shrewsbury away 1979 15th September. They had just been promoted and us relegated. The previous weekend there had been a bit on football focus about how Shrewsbury were a poor club and they only had 3 match balls. Each time a ball was kicked over the stand into the river seven the groundsman had to get in his rowing boat and row after it. So in the first five minutes 2 balls ended up in our end. Both were passed alone head height to the end of the stand and booted over into the river to great cheers. For ten minutes the 22 players tried not to kick the ball into the crowd. Then Droy stuck a defensive header over our bar. Bang, bobble, bobble, boot. Splash!. The ref looks over to the side. There is an eerie wait and then the groundsman dressed up like a fisherman with a sowester and dirty mac turns up in the tunnel with the first 2 balls. This went on. I think we kicked it over into the river about 15 times before the novelty wore off. All in fun though hey?

Hi to all

Its been a long time since I have last been on here, and I must say reading recollections of those who attended games back in the day (I am of the mid seventies generation) is superb

Bluebeard, I just love reading your posts, thanks for sharing

And GarryJones, I was and still am a big fan of your missing link website. That has been in my favourites for god knows how long..10 years maybe.

I have still have lots of bits I saved from young including scrapbooks from 1975-76 till 1981-82.

I have been collecting and recording matches on video and DVD for years, starting from my first video in 1979.

Garry you mention above you would love to see the Bolton 4-3 from 1978-79 again, let me know if you still have not seen it, if not I will upload for you to see at the weekend :smile:

Eddie Macs - If you really have that Bolton it would make hundreds of fans from yesteryear really happy. I can honestly say its up there with the cup wins in 1970, 1971, 1997. The fact that probably none of us have ever seen it again on TV, youtube or anywhere makes it one of the Holy Grails of lost footage. I'd also like to see Chelsea Liverpool 3-1 in the league a few weeks after the 4-2 in the 1978 cup. Orient 3 Chelsea 7 as mentioned earlier. The 2-1 defeat at Bolton when we scored 2 own goals (75-76). The 1-0 at Bolton that saved Chelsea in May 83 and the title clincher at Grimsby from 84. If you can do any of that then you'll make a name of yourself as the King Uploader of Chelsea!

Hi Garry

Oh, I think I will make a name for myself then, here goes :biggrin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DefdbXVzuIA&feature=youtu.be

I will add some less seen interesting matches, that may take some interest.

I am a dogged collector of games and to my Knowledge the Orient 7-3 wasn't televised. I could be wrong, but I have not seen or heard of it being filmed.

I have the Bolton 1975-76, which I will put up, I also have New York Cosmos....Remember that game? again 1978-79

The Bolton clincher again to my knowledge was not flimed, where Walks scores a cracker from 25 yards :sad:

I am desperate for the Liverpool 3-1 from 1977-78, which was filmed for scandiavia, but I have never seen it. I know it is around and I will get it trust me I will

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92kJ8X3Feac

I can whack on Plymouth away 1976-77 if not seen for a while

Good to read you know Lee Frost? I have a few of his games if he wants copies. I thought he was a good player but he just disapeared, just like Gary Johnson

Edited by Eddie Macs blue and white

Amazing. I love that Bolton footage.

Thank you!

I know Orient was filmed and shown on the Big Match. Mervyn Day was on the Big Match that day as special guest. He concluded "it was just one of those games, it could have finished 12-12". I don't know Lee, but I am Facebook friends with his wife. Yes, they would like copies of anything you can do, just add to you tube.

The Liverpool 3-1. I remember seeing the cameras when I walked into the shed end. I ran down to the front to see if it was BBC or LWT filming. It was LWT. So banked myself infront of the TV Sunday afternoon expecting to see the game. It was not shown. The following weekend Brian Moore explained that they had had many phone calls and letters during the week complaining. He explained that it was broadcast to Sweden. They then showed the highlights and goals with Swedish commentary. Having emigrated to Sweden in 1988 I can explain more. From 1969 the Swedish State TV had a contract to send one game live on a Saturday afternoon from March to October. This was called "tipsextra". It ran from 29 November 1969 to 18 March 1995. (In 1969 the cost of each match was $1500 to ITV, how times have changed). Most Swedes of my generation fell in love with English football through this programme.

Of course it would be great to see the original Chelsea Liverpool again as I now understand Swedish. (You are right about Scandinavia as these games were also shown in Denmark and Norway, but the clip that Moore showed was from Sweden.)

I remember the Cosmos. 42000 turned up. Steve Hunt? scored for Cosmos. 1-1 draw. And Cruyff played a 1-2 with the corner post.

Upload everything you can mate. I can dig out some more old photos to keep this thread rolling.

Hi Mate

That Orient game definately wasn't on the Big Match as I have nearly every program apart from Wrexham v Arsenal, which would have shown the goals for the Liverpool 3-1, and I have every Chelsea game from the 70's and 80's

Chelsea v Orient 1979-80 was shown as I have that one 1-0 (Lee plays in that one)

Right lads, here are a couple more uploads and off to bed for me, as I have an early start in the morning

Who remembers this game, with an attendance of 55,000 against Fulham in the second Division? AND they say where were you when we were sh*t!!...... That actualy is my favourite team of all time, the boys of 1976-77

Who went to Plymouth away? I was a bit to young to go to the away games outside London

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9wEy1oIZ6o&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oqMr9jPFDE

Strange about the Orient then.

My guess is that Mervyn Day was just the guest for some reason. What a pity. I was sure it was filmed.

The London teams in action on that day were as follows:

10th November 1979

Div 1

Palace Arsenal 1-0

Spurs Bolton 2-0

Div 2

Fulham West Ham 1-2

Luton Qpr 1-1

Orient 3 Chelsea 7

Shrewsbury Watford 1-0

So maybe its one of the other London teams that featured with Mervyn Day just a guest. Check what you have in your collection. To be honest I can't remember the goals on TV but I distinctly recall the Day 12-12 snub of Chelsea's feat. Footnote for those that don't know. Mervyn Day was a former West Ham keeper who played for Orient when Chelsea scored 7.

Eddie Mac - that is just phenomenal work. To see that footage again after all these years - wow. I was in the Shed for the Boxing Day 1977 Fulham game with my dad, and set out for the Liverpool 3-1 game in 78 but got delayed and never made it, and never knew it was filmed.

I remember the Cosmos game. I'd forgotten the crowd was so big.

One game I'm pretty sure was never filmed but everyone would love to see was the 5-0 promotion game v Leeds in 84.

Cheers again - you're a legend (as is Garry!).

EDIT - Just watched David Hay's incredible run in the Fulham game. What a goal that would have been!

Edited by Backbiter

Brilliant stuff Eddie Mac. I don't think I had seen footage from that Bolton game since I attended it. I was one of those who actually stayed to the end. I remember quite a bit of the ground had started to empty when all looked lost with about 15 mins to go. Then after the second goal people started coming back to gather in that area by the East Stand where the cars parked by the pitch. I think you can just catch sight of them in the corner during the last part of the footage.

One of the few bright days in an otherwise pretty sad season. That was my first year with a season ticket too ;).

Right lads, here are a couple more uploads and off to bed for me, as I have an early start in the morning Who remembers this game, with an attendance of 55,000 against Fulham in the second Division? AND they say where were you when we were sh*t!!...... That actualy is my favourite team of all time, the boys of 1976-77 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff9hPXS1fS8&feature=youtu.be Who went to Plymouth away? I was a bit to young to go to the away games outside London http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9wEy1oIZ6o&feature=youtu.be

Talking of "Where were you when you were sh*t?" it doesn't come much worse than this one. Be warned:

They beat us 4-1 at the Bridge that season too. I think our manager after the game (or it could have been Ken Bates) said we were lucky to get 0.