Super fast players

alan'82

Does anyone remember the speed merchants of yesterday?.

Those players who would tear down the wing & then often or not, cross into the stands?,(more often then not).

The arse's Theo Walcott is as fast as a teflon turd,(& about as usefull),but,he is exciting when in full flow,what about the old Theo's of yesterday?.

For me,step forward,Paul Canoville,Peter Rhodes-Brown,Jesper Gronkjaer & with respect,Clive Walker!.

There are others,aren't there?.

I don't remember Canners being particularly quick but that may have been his running style. I remember quite a few people used to call him the King because he looked like he was running with a crown on his head he was so upright. From the old days Rhoades-Brown was a good call as was Flash. Gronks was one of the quicker players I remember in more recent times. Another couple I remember from the 80's: Phil Driver was a pretty speedy winger, and Colin West was a very fast center forward. I remember him tearing Arsenal's great defense to pieces on his debut and scoring the only goal. He had a decent run of games towards the end of the 86-87 season but then seemed to fall out of favor.

Also Jukebox Judas was very quick but I won't dwell on him ;)

well..............going way back, bobby tambling was very quick over 20 yards, and powerful too

in 70's keith weller was quickish

80's - yes phil driver was quick (but erratic), kerry d was quik when he got going, and very strong

90's - dorigo very quick left back

2000's - robben quick as anyone, donkyar too

I don't remember Canners being particularly quick but that may have been his running style. I remember quite a few people used to call him the King because he looked like he was running with a crown on his head he was so upright. From the old days Rhoades-Brown was a good call as was Flash. Gronks was one of the quicker players I remember in more recent times. Another couple I remember from the 80's: Phil Driver was a pretty speedy winger, and Colin West was a very fast center forward. I remember him tearing Arsenal's great defense to pieces on his debut and scoring the only goal. He had a decent run of games towards the end of the 86-87 season but then seemed to fall out of favor.

Also Jukebox Judas was very quick but I won't dwell on him ;)

Phil Driver was quick. Quicker than Clive Walker IMO.

The fastest player I have seen live is probably Andriy Shevchenko. I got to see him play for Ukraine at Wembley when he was only 21 or 22. He was stunningly fast. I was also in the San Siro when Dennis Wise scored the "farking great goal" against AC Milan and Shevchenko was lightening quick that night as well.

Unfortunately by the time we brought him that burst of searing pace was long gone.

• 1 month later...

William Gallas was one of the fastest central defenders i've ever seen. I've never seen someone become a twat so quickly.

The Danes sure produced some speedsters in the late 90s/early 00s; Gronkjaer was the pick of the bunch for overall talent but Dennis Rommedahl and Peter Lovenkrands at their peak would've made even Gronkjaer look laboured!