If this is true.....

moi

I won't be an AVB apologist, and I think selling Cech likely would've been a mistake.

BUT.....

AVB was in an extremely tough spot. I think we all agree that he mishandled some things, but overcoming the infamous "play power" at this club is a task that's proved too tall for even far more established managers than AVB. Perhaps he felt the only way to transform the club was to clear out ALL the "old guard," which would include Cech. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but if that was his thinking, I can at least understand why.

Older players , yes, but Cech is not 30 yet, for goodness sake! And where would we have been without him over the last year?

I know, I wouldn't have been happy if he let Cech go. Goalkeepers peak a lot later than outfield players so 29/30 really isn't old at all.

AVB got so many things wrong, it amazes me people still stick up for him. Di Matteo is doing exactly what he should have done & getting a positive response from the players in the main.

Other than Cech and Frank I think that list is about right and Cavani and Hulk are just what we need. I think shipping out Petr is more to do with getting rid of the old guard than a player not good enough.

Anybody who has been unfortunate enough to have been made redundant will know the effect it has on morale and commitment to the cause. AVB seems to have been oblivious to this and couldnt grasp the concept of the very players he wanted to cull were expected to carry on and perform for him. Football is a cutthroat business and if the cull was to take place it had to be this summer, then is time to make these thoughts clear having kept all onboard during the season. One very poor man manager.

My opinion on AVB hasn't changed and that has nothing to do with Cognitive dissonance, it has more to do with the task he was brought in to implement and the timescale and brief (I believe) he was given to do it in.

Most players on that debateable list should really be on their way if any sort of transition was ever intended and although I wouldn't like to see Cech depart, if I was managing the team and felt he wasn't fully behind me or was undermining me in any way, I'd be looking to move him on and if I felt I could get a good young keeper and have some change, I would feel quite confident that it was my best option.

I won't change my belief that he was sacked unfairly or too soon with the agenda he was brought in for being one that would obviously cost us trophies and time, even though I like the interim manager I don't feel I have to jump on a bandwagon of slagging AVB off because he will never be anything more than an opposition manager in the future, for me the belief remains that he has ability and players here made us waste threequarters of a season not seeing the full extent of it.

I'll be behind them regardless but I will certainly call them on it if and when they have another Manager who lets them know their contracts here are not lifelong and they decide they don't want to give their all for him.

Edited by Chippy

I think AVB made his biggest mistake in the very beginning with 'assessing the squad'. He should have came in and stamp his authority all over the squad on day one, just like José did. The shortcomings were obvious there was no need for delay but it seems he wasn't decisive enough which translated as weakness to the old guard.

I think AVB made his biggest mistake in the very beginning with 'assessing the squad'. He should have came in and stamp his authority all over the squad on day one, just like José did. The shortcomings were obvious there was no need for delay but it seems he wasn't decisive enough which translated as weakness to the old guard.

I think you're right but that adds to the sneaking fear I have that this same thing will happen this Summer, a new man will come in and all the players will be behind him, playing like they're contracts depend on it and he will find it hard to see past a lot of the squad that could easily slump in the same way they have for the last few seasons again next which will again cost another Manager his Job and reputation while we again are ship steered to a slightley better position while we look at the top name coaches we might be having in for a few months of the 2014 season.

I think you're right but that adds to the sneaking fear I have that this same thing will happen this Summer, a new man will come in and all the players will be behind him, playing like they're contracts depend on it and he will find it hard to see past a lot of the squad that could easily slump in the same way they have for the last few seasons again next which will again cost another Manager his Job and reputation while we again are ship steered to a slightley better position while we look at the top name coaches we might be having in for a few months of the 2014 season.

I think it depends on how that man will be. José or Guus could easily see through them. While José coming back seems to be a pipe dream at this point, I believe we can get Guus if we go for him.

The summer is definitely the time to cull and rebuild,there is no pressure from badly performing players,just a huge thanks,and no thankyou,..AVBs remit was to rebuild the team,and as soon as he said,"I don't think there will be to much change here",the players knew they were safe, isaid before he/we never had the players to play the Porto way,which hugely frustrated him,so lets see the Newly appointed manager go for it this summer,if we don't qualify automatically for CL,Roman knows he has to fund massively a rebuild to quickly,almost miraculously get us fighting for that coveted place amongst Europes elite..

I agree AVB went about it all wrong but his initial pitch must have sounded good to the board - a new team rebuilt from the bottom up.

His big mistake was to try and initiate this without having achieved any real success at the club - if he had the team believing in him, he could have done anything he wanted with it.

His best bet would've been to continue with the team he inherited which, when correctly motivated, is still very competitive. A lot of the strong personalities he had so much trouble with would probably have gone in the summer anyway.

Ultimately AVB's job was to manage and he mismanaged the situation and the team. So he was probably sacked with some justification.

I think you're on to something undertow. Mourinho got it right because he watched the players beforehand, knew what he wanted exactly before he came in. He didn't come in with a blank slate; he came in prejudiced.

No sentiment or "reduced squad roles" for Gronkjaer or Hasselbaink; Crespo sent out on loan and Drogba signed to replace them; Tiago to compete with Parker; Ferreira to compete with Johnson; Carvalho to keep Terry and Gallas on their toes; Cudicini dropped for Cech; Robben and Duff given clear preference over Joe Cole.

Some players responded: Cudicini took a backseat with good grace. Joe Cole worked harder and became an infinitely better player. Gallas, Parker and Johnson didn't respond and were shipped out. It's the same story at Inter and Real; fan-favourites Adriano and Raul are gone, and replacements brought in. The point is, it asserted Mourinho's authority over the squad.

Cut to Barcelona, 2008. Rjikaard is gone and the board crazily appoint a reserve-team coach to the top position. Guardiola comes and immediately uses the broom through the squad. Sentiment is washed out and Guardiola already knows who he has to get rid of in order to make his system a success. Ronaldinho, Deco and co are all moved on. Guardiola, like Mourinho, wants an athletic and hard-working team. The emphasis on home-grown is shown too, by the promotion of Iniesta to a more prominent first-team role having been used as a utility injury replacement by Rjikaard. Guardiola's authority is established and like Mourinho, he gains a cult-like status among fans and players.

The three managers who have been tasked with the "rebuilding" of the squad have all failed in this regard perhaps because of what undertow suggests- by giving the players a "clean slate" it is unwittingly giving them more power than they deserve. They essentially become accountable to themselves, instead of the manager.

I wouldn't overstate Mourinho's ability to win over the veterans on his Madrid squad. I think there are ongoing issues there.

And being the drama queen that he is, this week he drops a hint that Inter's a very appealing place to coach.

"Inter is my home; a return home is always possible,"

Jose, I thought Chelsea was your spiritual home? :laugh2:

I think Mourinho's issues lie with the board and not with the squad- mind you, the success at the moment will paper over the cracks.

What I should've added in my post is that each club's board in my previous examples were unreservedly behind the manage. Contrast this to Chelsea post-Mourinho, where the board has had a conditional approach to backing each manager.

I think you're on to something undertow. Mourinho got it right because he watched the players beforehand, knew what he wanted exactly before he came in. He didn't come in with a blank slate; he came in prejudiced.

No sentiment or "reduced squad roles" for Gronkjaer or Hasselbaink; Crespo sent out on loan and Drogba signed to replace them; Tiago to compete with Parker; Ferreira to compete with Johnson; Carvalho to keep Terry and Gallas on their toes; Cudicini dropped for Cech; Robben and Duff given clear preference over Joe Cole.

Some players responded: Cudicini took a backseat with good grace. Joe Cole worked harder and became an infinitely better player. Gallas, Parker and Johnson didn't respond and were shipped out. It's the same story at Inter and Real; fan-favourites Adriano and Raul are gone, and replacements brought in. The point is, it asserted Mourinho's authority over the squad.

Cut to Barcelona, 2008. Rjikaard is gone and the board crazily appoint a reserve-team coach to the top position. Guardiola comes and immediately uses the broom through the squad. Sentiment is washed out and Guardiola already knows who he has to get rid of in order to make his system a success. Ronaldinho, Deco and co are all moved on. Guardiola, like Mourinho, wants an athletic and hard-working team. The emphasis on home-grown is shown too, by the promotion of Iniesta to a more prominent first-team role having been used as a utility injury replacement by Rjikaard. Guardiola's authority is established and like Mourinho, he gains a cult-like status among fans and players.

The three managers who have been tasked with the "rebuilding" of the squad have all failed in this regard perhaps because of what undertow suggests- by giving the players a "clean slate" it is unwittingly giving them more power than they deserve. They essentially become accountable to themselves, instead of the manager.

This is a very good post.

I'd also like to add that for me it always comes down to the issue of how much backing each of the CFC managers has got from Roman and the board. My feeling is that apart from Jose in his first couple of seasons, no other manager had a full and unquestionable support from the CFC hierarchy, especially when it comes to transfers. As a result, the spine of the team remained the same, while the caretakers came and went. You can't really say that Scolari, Ancelotti or AVB builT their own teams, they were just trying to adapt their ideas with various degrees of success to the squad that was already there.

Except for Mourinho in 2004-06 period no other Chelsea man had the full freedom to buy/sell the players they wanted and that's what made the job to rebuild this current squad so difficult. The fact that AVB went about it in a totally wrong way made it even worse.