Brian Reade on Chelsea fans

BernardLambourde

Look at this from Daily Mirror columnist and life-long Liverpool fan Brian Reade:

"I’ve criticised Chelsea over the years for their inability to see that compulsory plastic flag-waving has as much place in a football ground as playing Eye Of The Tiger after every goal.

Those fans who couldn’t see it must now do so, after they looked on with pride at a decent banner displayed on Wednesday night: “First London club to win the Champions League.â€

See. You create some proper history, you create a proper flag that makes your rivals wince for all the right reasons.

And if Arsenal fans aren’t wincing, they should be."

I thoroughly agree with Brian. A flag bearing a powerful message can indeed make opposition fans squirm and feel uneasy. Most notably the ones Juventus fans unfurled during their Champion's League game with Liverpool in 2005 which read:

"We can't forget!"

And...

"Easy to speak....difficult to pardon.....Murderers!"

The Mirror hate Chelsea with a passion.

Reade is a gloryhunter, just like the rest of them.

Hmmm....I dunno about that. He is a Scouser who has been attending games for years and years. Not his fault they won so much in that time. He certainly has an agenda against Chelsea though.

I don't know why he attacks Chelsea fans for the flags anyway. Not like we asked for them. I just turned up one European game and there was one on my seat. I also saw plenty of Liverpool fans waving the free flags at Wembley for the cup final.

Check this out....a video of Scousers making their way down to London for the 1984 Milk Cup Final. Listen to their song in the pub at 0.33...

It is celebrating the Munich Air Disaster of 1958. I can't believe they have the cheek to take the moral high ground over things like Chelsea fans not respecting the minute's silence in the semi-final this year. I thought that was out of order from our lot.....but those in glass houses wearing shellsuits, shouldn't cast the first stone.

Look at this from Daily Mirror columnist and life-long Liverpool fan Brian Reade:

"I’ve criticised Chelsea over the years for their inability to see that compulsory plastic flag-waving has as much place in a football ground as playing Eye Of The Tiger after every goal.

Those fans who couldn’t see it must now do so, after they looked on with pride at a decent banner displayed on Wednesday night: “First London club to win the Champions League.â€

See. You create some proper history, you create a proper flag that makes your rivals wince for all the right reasons.

And if Arsenal fans aren’t wincing, they should be."

I thoroughly agree with Brian. A flag bearing a powerful message can indeed make opposition fans squirm and feel uneasy. Most notably the ones Juventus fans unfurled during their Champion's League game with Liverpool in 2005 which read:

"We can't forget!"

And...

"Easy to speak....difficult to pardon.....Murderers!"

Good post, be good if you could give him your reply about the Juve banners.

f**k what he says.Every Liverpool fan I know is plastic and only supported them because of the eighties.

I know so many plastic Scousers who are just gloryhunters its embarrassing. As for their history jibes they can keep it - wouldn't swap their bloodstained history for ours.

I really like my plastic flags and freebie scarves - great memories of them in games and a Chelsea freebie is always welcome - there's also nothing wrong in manufacturing a bit more atmosphere and in pre during or post match choreographed singing etc

I don't know why we get wound up by it, Chelsea has a history and atmosphere as good and as bad as most and people who use a plastic flag as an insult can keep doing so if they can't find anything more interesting to say I take it as a complement

I really like my plastic flags and freebie scarves - great memories of them in games and a Chelsea freebie is always welcome - there's also nothing wrong in manufacturing a bit more atmosphere and in pre during or post match choreographed singing etc

I don't know why we get wound up by it, Chelsea has a history and atmosphere as good and as bad as most and people who use a plastic flag as an insult can keep doing so if they can't find anything more interesting to say I take it as a complement

Its pathetic isnt it, people go on about clubs treating fans badly and never giving anything back yet when our club give away free flags and scarves etc they get slagged off. Weeks later loads of other clubs do it yet no mention, morons.

I don't know why he attacks Chelsea fans for the flags anyway. Not like we asked for them. I just turned up one European game and there was one on my seat. I also saw plenty of Liverpool fans waving the free flags at Wembley for the cup final.

I have never really got why free flags at Chelsea have been considered 'embarrassing' by rival fans. I couldn't give a sh*t, if someone gives me a free flag I will wave it, simple.

Good read from the link below that shows just how many other clubs have given free flags to their fans over the years, have a look, you will be surprised just how many have, it's not just Chelsea, but don't tell Liverpool that, this is all they have on us these days.

http://www.thefootballnetwork.net/main/s379/st143085.htm

I have never really got why free flags at Chelsea have been considered 'embarrassing' by rival fans. I couldn't give a sh*t, if someone gives me a free flag I will wave it, simple.

Good read from the link below that shows just how many other clubs have given free flags to their fans over the years, have a look, you will be surprised just how many have, it's not just Chelsea, but don't tell Liverpool that, this is all they have on us these days.

http://www.thefootba...79/st143085.htm

I know....it's only a flag. What's the big deal? They say that Chelsea are trying to 'generate atmosphere' with them......but how? A flag doesn't make any f***ing noise does it? It's just a nice freebie.....much like the giros that pay for the Scouser's match day tickets. If you buy some £5 knock off Nigel scarf from a stall outside the stadium and hold it over your head, does that make you oh-so more passionate?

And you're right......United gave away scarves before a Manchester Derby in recent years I recall. And Arsenal the same with flags for a CL semi in 2009. I've also been to an Ajax game in Amsterdam where there were free flags on the seats.

Its pathetic isnt it, people go on about clubs treating fans badly and never giving anything back yet when our club give away free flags and scarves etc they get slagged off. Weeks later loads of other clubs do it yet no mention, morons.

They are just grasping at straws. They should be concerned about their clubs descent from European power to mediocrity. Instead they are worried about whether we are giving away free flags.

It just about sums up that pathetic fanbase of theirs. Sad bar stewards all round.

Archived