Remember when Liverpool lost the plot?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Liverpool lost the plot partially because Hicks & Gillett made Abramovich look like the greatest owner ever.

Benitez's appointment was wrong for (many) other reasons - Liverpool's decline in his last season is one of the more minor ones if it factors at all.

OK now that's a more valid reason for not appointing Benitez. His flawed man-management skills were apparently shown up because several long-time Inter Milan members (Materazzi etc.) never warmed to him. It's no coincidence that Leonardo, a flawed tactician himself, came in and did better.

That being said, I think that Inter Milan squad was somewhat spent after an exhausting 2009/10. It desperately needed new blood, which Moratti was reluctant to provide.

What are the chances Benitez gets sacked by Monday?

I think this team is in serious need of leadership at the moment. With Lamps and Terry both sidelined this team is in shambles. It really would be a shame to see Lamps go. I think its actually rather stupid to do so. As much as I love these young players out there in the midfield, Chelsea need some players with some years under their belt, someone that's been there before and can handle themself, as well as pull the team together in a difficult situation.

Just get this sack of sh*t out of the club as soon as possible.

He truly truly is on a mission to turn us into dogsh*t. Its no longer a joke anymore. I didnt think it was possible to dislike him anymore than I do already, but I was wrong.

Liverpool lost the plot partially because Hicks & Gillett made Abramovich look like the greatest owner ever.

Benitez's appointment was wrong for (many) other reasons - Liverpool's decline in his last season is one of the more minor ones if it factors at all.

FALSE!

I assert that this is more nonsense promoted by scousers to defend their golden calf.

What had Hicks and Gillet done under Benitez?

Had they forced him to sell players to make them money? No.

Had they undermined their owner by refusing to buy him players? No, but if you listened to Benitez, yes.

Under Hicks and Gillet I can think of 3 huge transfers. Keane (20m) Johnson (17m) and Aquilani (20m). Thats 57m in spending right there, the latter player to replace an unhappy Xabi Alonso that left.

And yet, just as he did at Inter, Benitez determined this kind of spending wasnt good enough, because Liverpool had failed to kick on after the fluke season of 2009.

Then the circus of their ownership came into town and WAS a huge distraction. But I maintain before that they were nothing more than average owners in this league, who were first lauded and celebrated by the Scousers, and then later became the focal point for their inability to win trophies, post 2006.

OK now that's a more valid reason for not appointing Benitez. His flawed man-management skills were apparently shown up because several long-time Inter Milan members (Materazzi etc.) never warmed to him. It's no coincidence that Leonardo, a flawed tactician himself, came in and did better.

That being said, I think that Inter Milan squad was somewhat spent after an exhausting 2009/10. It desperately needed new blood, which Moratti was reluctant to provide.

And on the flipside of things, there is no earthly way a CL winning squad, minus a then marginal young player like Balotelli, should have flamed out to 7th place in a still pretty toothless Italian league. I say again, Moratti did nothing to the squad Benitez had in the CL final only 7 months before.

For me, that incident really made my mind up about "rafa". Used someone elses squad to win some walkover trophy, despite the rest of the season turning to crap, and had the temerity to slate one of the best, most generous owners in world football in front of a battery of cameras. That just summed the smarmy prick up for me.

Had they undermined their owner by refusing to buy him players? No, but if you listened to Benitez, yes.

I think the answer to these 2 questions is actually yes. Those guys were f**king miserable owners, we shouldn't defend them.

FALSE!

I assert that this is more nonsense promoted by scousers to defend their golden calf.

I know that what Liverpool fans say should often be taken with a grain of salt, but from what I've read about Tom Hicks' behaviour at Corinthians, I am inclined to believe that a good chunk of the accusations against both him & Gillett are true. As at Liverpool, Hicks made an empty promise about a 'new stadium' for Corinthians, sold various important players (Arbeloa also left in 2009/10), demonstrated an inability to get along with partners and left the club in financial strife. Even Gillett's history is a bit dodgy, though for different reasons (selling junk bonds + many of his companies went bankrupt).

Under Hicks and Gillet I can think of 3 huge transfers. Keane (20m) Johnson (17m) and Aquilani (20m). Thats 57m in spending right there, the latter player to replace an unhappy Xabi Alonso that left.

Benitez has a poor transfer record, but I heard that Hicks & Gillett limited who Benitez could buy because their leveraged buyout actually increased Liverpool's debt. Apparently by 2009/10 he could only buy players from clubs that owed Liverpool money. Portsmouth owed them money for Peter Crouch; Roma owed them money for Risse.

That being said, there is a good chance Benitez would have wasted the money anyway.

Then the circus of their ownership came into town and WAS a huge distraction. But I maintain before that they were nothing more than average owners in this league, who were first lauded and celebrated by the Scousers, and then later became the focal point for their inability to win trophies, post 2006.

Again, read up on the history of those two. From a Liverpool fan's perspective (not our perspective heh), selling Liverpool to them was a big mistake from the outset.

In no way, shape or form could they be described as 'average' owners.

And on the flipside of things, there is no earthly way a CL winning squad, minus a then marginal young player like Balotelli, should have flamed out to 7th place in a still pretty toothless Italian league. I say again, Moratti did nothing to the squad Benitez had in the CL final only 7 months before.

For me, that incident really made my mind up about "rafa". Used someone elses squad to win some walkover trophy, despite the rest of the season turning to crap, and had the temerity to slate one of the best, most generous owners in world football in front of a battery of cameras. That just summed the smarmy prick up for me.

I fully agree with you as a matter of fact; I was just trying to (very weakly) play devil's advocate. I maintain that the squad was somewhat burnt out, but Benitez's lack of connection with the players was the real killer blow, which is why Leonardo came in and pushed them up to 2nd - as I pointed out.

Ultimately, Hicks & Gillett are of no importance to this club. Unfortunately, Benitez is. I don't think sanity will be restored until after his departure at the very earliest. If there's any manager I would never appoint, he would have to be #1.

Edited by DaRick

I know that what Liverpool fans say should often be taken with a grain of salt, but from what I've read about Tom Hicks' behaviour at Corinthians, I am inclined to believe that a good chunk of the accusations against both him & Gillett are true. As at Liverpool, Hicks made an empty promise about a 'new stadium' for Corinthians, sold various important players (Arbeloa also left in 2009/10), demonstrated an inability to get along with partners and left the club in financial strife. Even Gillett's history is a bit dodgy, though for different reasons (selling junk bonds).

Benitez has a poor transfer record, but I heard that Hicks & Gillett limited who Benitez could buy because their leveraged buyout actually increased Liverpool's debt. Apparently by 2009/10 he could only buy players from clubs that owed Liverpool money. Portsmouth owed them money for Peter Crouch; Roma owed them money for Risse.

That being said, there is a good chance Benitez would have wasted the money anyway.

Again, read up on the history of those two. From a Liverpool fan's perspective (not our perspective heh), selling Liverpool to them was a big mistake from the outset.

In no way, shape or form could they be described as 'average' owners.

You are right to point out what you have. I do remember now the dodgy BS Hicks was involved in before, the fact that the owners apparently werent speaking, and the whole leveraged buyout mess. They really were good with the smoke and mirrors of a new stadium, and made legions of Scousers look stupid for embracing them (our yanks are better than your yanks, etc)

My point was that Benitez was not exactly curtailed in his wild transfer dealings during that time. He was still buying expensive players for alot of money (not on discounted rates, despite the money owed to them....this kind of fuzzy math was used by his defenders to make his purchases seem canny rather than insane). I know by the end of their reign the financial troubles couldnt be hidden and the fans and manager were in open revolt, but before that there was no penny pinching going on, despite the debt they were accruing.

Looking back on it once again, Hicks is a genuine prick. I knew about his disastrous ownership of the Texas Rangers, but he really does have a reverse midas touch for sports. Hes only been successful with his NHL team.

I fully agree with you as a matter of fact; I was just trying to (very weakly) play devil's advocate. I maintain that the squad was somewhat burnt out, but Benitez's lack of connection with the players was the real killer blow, which is why Leonardo came in and pushed them up to 2nd - as I pointed out.

Ultimately, Hicks & Gillett are of no importance to this club. Unfortunately, Benitez is. I don't think sanity will be restored until after his departure at the very earliest. If there's any manager I would never appoint, he would have to be #1.

Agreed with you there, and thats a fair assessment of the Inter debacle.

What really gets my tits about the man is his gall. He hasnt turned water into wine, but he did have success many years ago. Somehow, that limited success which has grown scarcer since entitles him to be called one of the greatest minds in world football. And now he has parlayed that past success into a spot at this club so he can ruin us.

Guest AFriendlyRed

Hicks and Gillette ruined Liverpool. Read "An Epic Swindle" to understand all the ins and outs of their ownership. Even a good mate of mine, a massive Chelsea supporter, read it based on my recommendation and fully sees the troubles we were going through. The legal stunts they pulled and the lies they told were unforgivable and have really set us back by several years.

Rafa had an awful time under H&G, especially that last season when the money dried up. He may have had a couple of shockers in the transfer market, but which manager hasn't? Rafa is loyal to his employers, I know he has the best interests of Chelsea FC at heart.

Rafa is loyal to his employers, I know he has the best interests of Chelsea FC at heart.

Liverpool supporters don't have the best interests of Chelsea FC at heart, yet they're all on here asking us to have faith in "Rafa".

You know what? You can have him.

Guest AFriendlyRed

You know what? You can have him.

Good!

But seriously, the Rafa bashing at the ground is tacky at best, classless at worst. Give the man a chance.

A scouser talking about class, who'd have guessed it?

You know what chump, it's none of your business, you don't give two hoots about our club whereas the paying punters do.

They pay their money and they can do as they damn well please, and if you don't like it, good.

Guest AFriendlyRed

Not a scouser mate. I'm from, and still live, a mile away from the Bridge. But no matter. I'm just here to provide an outsider's point of view. Many of my closest friends are Chelsea supporters and I'm able to say these exact same things to them without getting this sort of infantile reaction from them.

Now 'chump', don't throw your toys out of your pram and start acting like the fine upstanding gentleman I'm sure you are.

Not a scouser mate. I'm from, and still live, a mile away from the Bridge. But no matter. I'm just here to provide an outsider's point of view.

A plastic scouser then, which is what I meant.

Edit: Glad you think our booing of your precious "Rafa" is tacky and classless.

Coming from a scouser (of the plastic variety) I consider that a compliment.

Edited by Davey Baby

Guest AFriendlyRed

You know all about plastic don't you?

Anyway, I'm not here for a bloody fight. I'm just giving an honest opinion. You're entitled to disagree, just don't act like a tit in the process.