Player Ratings v Corinthians

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Cech 7/10 Can't remember him making a save. A 6 would be harsh and an 8 too generous, so 7 it is.

Ivan 7/10 Solid if unspectacular. With Moses ahead of him hugging the touchline, he was not allowed to go forward. 

Cole 8/10 I thought he had a really good game and if we're going to let him go this summer, I hope we know what we're doing.

Luiz 8/10 Difficult one to call. 7 or 8? I'm plumping for 8. Thought he had a good game, particularly in the first-half. After they scored he became somewhat erratic and started playing out of position, but at least he was eager to affect the game.

Cahill 7/10 Good and bad. Slackness from him in the first-half could have cost us twice, once when their player dived looking for the pen, after nutmegging Cahill on the touchline, and once when he miscontrolled and their guy blazed over. Got some good blocks in, was decent in possession. No idea why he saw red I haven't seen a replay.

Ramires 8/10 Our best player. Curtailed his natural attacking instinct to play the holding role. Shame, as he is great at bursting into the opposition's half, taking opponents out of the game, and getting beyond the front players. Never mind, he was clearly asked to do a job, the job normally asked of Mikel. He did it far better than Mikel ever could. He was brilliant defensively. He is such an honest player. He toils all day and is quite prepared to get his hands dirty. With Romeu out, I have a feeling we will be seeing more of Ramires in this role. He is probably the best man for it, even though it clips his wings somewhat.

Moses 7/10 I like Moses. Didn't have his best game but was involved all the time and kept offering himself as an outlet. Had our best effort in the first-half. Has a strong work ethic, gets back and does his share defensively. Needs to work on his crossing but don't we all. Benitez obviously likes the fact he gives us natural width. Considering the fact this is all new to him, we have to give him props. He will improve but he's doing okay thus far.

Lampard 7/10 Couple of really good passes for Torres in the first-half. Played ahead of Ramires, got a couple of shots away, made his way into the box a couple of times but the ball didn't reach him. Neat and tidy but didn't really have a huge impact on the game.

Torres 6/10 No doubt his performance will spark another huge debate. This was the Torres we have become accustomed to. Struggled all game. Most top forwards, even if things are going against them, at some moment in the game they'll flash into life, defenders will know they can't switch off for a moment. Days like these, you wish you had someone to replace him. He just wasn't inspiring confidence. Had a great chance which he missed and had a goal disallowed as we pushed for a goal towards the end. The chance fell to him kindly and he should have scored and he was brave for the one that was disallowed. That's it folks. Get scribbling in the Torres thread.

Mata 7/10 Couple of flashes, particularly in the second half when he set up Hazard. Played in the hole and didn't have a huge impact on the game. Might have wished for more movement from Torres. I think they identified him as our best player, and did a job on him.

Hazard 8/10 Our best player in the first-half and for that reason I've given him an eight. Nice touches, some incredible passes, link-up play, skill and running. Also worked very hard. Hugged the left touchline for most of the game and that's obviously the way Benitez wants it. It might restrict him a little bit but Benitez clearly wants the team to play with width. Faded almost out of sight in the second-half, although he could have scored when put through by Mata. 

Subs ..

Oscar 7/10 Fantastic ball for Torres for the disallowed goal.

Azpi 7/10 Came on late.

Marin 7/10 Came on even later.

The only consolation I can take from this game is that it makes it less likely Benitez will be retained this summer.

Lastly, with support like that, it's going to be very difficult for Brazil to lose the WC on home soil.

lol sorry Davey, you have caught me at the bitterest of times...

This season feels like I'm being kicked in the crotch over and over again, and maybe this loss is the straw that broke this guy's back.

Cech - 6

Ivanovich - 5

Luiz - 7

Cahill - 6

Cole - 6

Lampard - 6

Ramires - 5

Hazard - 5

Mata - 4

Moses - 3

Torres - 3

Those are more realistic. People say Ramires did well tracking back.............but fail to mention how crap he was at everything else. I have never seen Mata that sh*t, and Moses just sucked today, and Ivanovic is getting more stiff as the season goes on.

Edited by Scott Harris

Torres can have a 2/10 because i'm in a forgiving mood, which then leaves Moses with a generous 0.5/10.

And Rafa for taking 70 minutes to bring on Oscar, bringing off Hazard, and for making a defender come on in 80th minute when we're 1-0 down, he can have a square f**k off.

How could you give Moses a 0.5, since he took a really well-placed shot that should have resulted in a goal for us, but not for the great save by the Corinthians keeper? Yes, he was sh*t for much of the rest of the match, but that shot alone merits him a 4.0.

My Marks would be along the lines of:

Cech - 6

Ivanovich - 6

Luiz - 7.5

Cahill - 6

Cole - 5

Lampard - 5

Ramires - 6

Hazard - 5

Mata - 7

Moses - 6.5

Torres - 6

Though Ash was average today and Lamps looked very rusty and should not have played 90 minutes.

Hazard started brightly but once again completely faded and I'm worried he's becomming very much a luxury player who just isn't doing anything like enough for what he is in the team for.

Mata was a lot quieter but played a couple of unbelievable balls - the one to Hazard in particular was pass of the match and Hazard should have done better.

All in all, very frustrating to watch. 0/10 for FSW for being too negative with the line up and even worse with the subs. Can see the "Rafa Out" campaign gathering momentum after that.

Hazard started brightly but once again completely faded and I'm worried he's becomming very much a luxury player who just isn't doing anything like enough for what he is in the team for.

Mata was a lot quieter but played a couple of unbelievable balls - the one to Hazard in particular was pass of the match and Hazard should have done better.

Are you forgetting Hazard's pass to Moses in the first-half, Nibs?

That was sublime and Moses could have done better.

Mata's ball was good, but Hazard gave him no option but to play it.

Yes, Hazard faded, but I think you're being harsh on him.

Are you forgetting Hazard's pass to Moses in the first-half, Nibs?

That was sublime and Moses could have done better.

Mata's ball was good, but Hazard gave him no option but to play it.

Yes, Hazard faded, but I think you're being harsh on him.

Perhaps I am. I just had so much expectation for Hazard and to date, I have seen him flit in and out of games without hardly ever dominating. The little gimpses we are seeing are nowhere near enough. It was right that he came off today but then again, there were a number who could have joined him.

It was right that he came off, he had faded spectacularly, but he was great in the first-half IMO, and if you give him a centre-forward with movement, he will assist a lot more. Let's not forget he is young. I have no doubt he will be a great player. I think he has it all.

Ramires was very poor. wins a lot of tackles but that's usually after he's given the ball away. Moses should have been hooked at half time, maybe the shot at the end of the half saved that but he wasted countless opportunities attack.

Torres is a poor player, with a woeful first touch, poor attitude, poor bravery and the finishing of an over weight, pissed up Sunday league centre back.

Cech - 6

Ivanovich - 6

Luiz - 7.5

Cahill - 6

Cole - 5

Lampard - 5

Ramires - 6

Hazard - 5

Mata - 7

Moses - 6.5

Torres - 6

Shocked that you would give Mata a 7, he was awful , he made 1 decent pass the whole match, he didn't look like the same Mata at all today. You say Lampard was rusty but in the first half he was the only one creating anything. Torres getting a 6 is very VERY kind.

How could you give Moses a 0.5, since he took a really well-placed shot that should have resulted in a goal for us, but not for the great save by the Corinthians keeper? Yes, he was sh*t for much of the rest of the match, but that shot alone merits him a 4.0.

fair enough that shot was pretty brilliant, i'd forgotten it in all my rage

still, he's had a good few games lately but yesterday he was completely useless by comparison

Shocked that you would give Mata a 7, he was awful , he made 1 decent pass the whole match, he didn't look like the same Mata at all today. You say Lampard was rusty but in the first half he was the only one creating anything. Torres getting a 6 is very VERY kind.

We all see games differently. That said, I will admit that during the first half I paused the game whilst I made myself a cup of tea and a sandwich and then ending up fast forwarding bits as the match got increasingly dull. And during the not over exciting second half, I did get distracted by the Christmas edition of the Radio Times!

I know Mata wasn’t up to his brilliant best but he certainly did more than make one pass. He was constantly looking for the ball and trying to make something happen. Ever when he is well below par, he is still our most creative player although if FSW had seen what most of us could see and pushed Luiz further forward, just maybe we would have been able to cause them a few more problems than we did.

Cech - 6

Ivanovich - 6

Luiz - 7.5

Cahill - 6

Cole - 5

Lampard - 5

Ramires - 6

Hazard - 5

Mata - 7

Moses - 6.5

Torres - 6

Though Ash was average today and Lamps looked very rusty and should not have played 90 minutes.

All in all, very frustrating to watch. 0/10 for FSW for being too negative with the line up and even worse with the subs. Can see the "Rafa Out" campaign gathering momentum after that.

Mata was abysmal, Lamps looked like the only player who had some sense on the pitch and desire to win it in the first half. He too decided to fade away with the rest of the team in the second half. El tubbo should have brought on the 'Five year contract' Mikel in the second half and paired him with Ramires which would have allowed Frank to push forward seeing as the rest of the jokers could not finish for squat.

Horror show on display.