2013 Oscar Nominees / 85th Academy Awards Nominees

Maksimov

Haven't seen any of the nominated movies, but will try to see Beasts of the Southern Wild, Django Unchained and Amour as soon as possible. Les Miserables will premier in Sweden on the 18th so I might go and see it then.

I guess the only category I've got more or less covered is Animated Film. Seen all the nominees apart from Wreck-It Ralph.

Out of the four I've seen I think Brave will win, but I hope Frankenweenie will. Or maybe Paranorman.

The opening credits and song were the only part of Skyfall I felt were worth the hype. The rest of the film was a let down after that.

Do people actually care about Oscars/ Oscar nominations anyway? Apart from actors/film-makers obviously who like to have it on their CV. They definitely have no relevance to me, I've never watched a film just because it's been Oscar nominated. 

The opening credits and song were the only part of Skyfall I felt were worth the hype. The rest of the film was a let down after that.

Do people actually care about Oscars/ Oscar nominations anyway? Apart from actors/film-makers obviously who like to have it on their CV. They definitely have no relevance to me, I've never watched a film just because it's been Oscar nominated. 

I don't think I'd see a movie just because it said "Oscar winner" or something, but the whole Oscar thing is like a 2nd christmas to me. One of the highlights of the year.

Do people actually care about Oscars/ Oscar nominations anyway?

I can't speak for anyone else, but to me they're not all that important. I just thought the nominations list might be a good conversation starter, that's all.

Sorry if that came across as argumentative. I was just curious really, since they always gets such a massive amount of attention but I've don't know anybody who follows them.

Clearly they mean an awful lot to Moos, which is interesting to know.

Must say that I'm very surprised that The Dark Knight Rises didn't get a single nod. I didn't think it was great, but expected it to be nominated in some technical categories atleast. I though Michael Caine was excellent as well, so I would not have objected if he'd been nominated as supporting actor.

Must say that I'm very surprised that The Dark Knight Rises didn't get a single nod. I didn't think it was great, but expected it to be nominated in some technical categories atleast. I though Michael Caine was excellent as well, so I would not have objected if he'd been nominated as supporting actor.

Yeah, I would've thought it would get nominated in one of the technical categories, although I think it's the weakest in the trilogy. Actually, I'd say it's one of the worst movies I paid to see last year. It looks quite good, though. Same could be said for Prometheus, which is probably the worst movie I paid to see last year. It looked great, but what a waste of time. I would've said the worst was Cosmopolis, but at least it had some substance and one pretty cool scene.

• 1 month later...

it's weird how much importance is given to this ceremony...actors are so full of themselves...they 'act' as if they have found a cure for a major disease or created world peace or something, when they just entertain (and many of them don't even do that!)...always felt the oscars is actually just one big advert to promote the industry and keep people going to the movies...if people are told how special the actors are and how great films are enough times, they will believe it..

yes I love a good film, but as each year has gone by, the more have been about hype rather than substance...bit like the oscars then really

I enjoyed Django Unchained far more that I thought I would, was expecting the Tarantino-isms to get to me but they didn't (only a small number of implausibly verbose monologues).

I think the film was carried by three performances (must've taken some big balls to ask SLJ to take up that role given his past) which probably explains why the film went downhill in the last 20 minutes.

As for the oscars... There's too much backslapping, too many people voting (especially as most don't watch all the films available).

I've also not a lot of time for a group of people who'll give a standing ovation to someone who drugged and raped an underage girl then went on the run from the police (and still hasn't received justice). But apparently that's only a minor thing compared to making a drunken anti-Semitic rant (or a poorly thought out anti-semitic joke) which results in instant blackballing.

Archived