Who is steering our rudderless ship?

Nibs

I am getting more & more concerned over exactly WHO is making the decisions at our club
these days? Not just now we are in the unfortunate position to have an interim but even during the time of AVB & RDM. Who is deciding which players we need to identify and sign? Who is deciding which players we should sell or not offer a new contract to and who makes the decisions as to which players get sent out on loan and to where and for how long? Right now, when we still have an outside chance of the PL, the FA Cup, Europa Cup and SHOULD have been making
the Capital One Cup final, our squad looks paper thin. We currently have a couple of first team players at the ACON and God knows how many players out on loan. We only need a couple more injuries and/or suspensions and the entire season will be f**ked because of bad management decisions made by ????

Take a look at our bench in recent weeks and we’re hardly over-loaded with players who can change a game, in fact it’s normally full of defenders!

Like many, I have already given up on this season and can’t wait for it to be over and draw a line under it. But assuming (and praying) that FSW isn’t at the helm next season who is now planning ahead? I can only hope (and again pray) that the club are already in discussions with our next permanent manager behind the scenes and the groundwork is being done but with our track record, I wouldn't bank on it. IF that isn't the case, the new man will have his work cut out to turn things round before next season kicks off.

Roman sits in a lush chair in the captains quarters, occasionally making an appearance on the bridge to preside over things. Tenenbaum stamps the executive orders, eagerly doing the bidding of his comrade and frequently chuckling away at his own good fortune.

The rostrum for wheelhouse duty is certainly a muddled one, with the experienced but ineffectual Rafael Benitez nominally overseeing affairs and trying to take care of the nuts and bolts of the vessel.

The sycophant brigade of Emenalo, Gourlay and Buck has turns at the wheel, strictly under the orders of the captain they carry out their duties in accordance with his fleeting desires and fancies, changing course to and fro at the drop of a hat and generally trying to look busy.

Our befuddled assortment of players toil away at the cole-face in the ships bunkers, trying to stoke up an inferno to fire us towards our targets but frequently making a mess of things.

The SS Chelsea puffs away gallantly, but finds itself going in circles all to often.

All of this above in sharp contrast to the 2 Manchester clubs that although owned by men of equal or more worth

than Roman are being run by people who are obviously far more efficient and in tune with the business of premier

league football than the CFC board.

There was a time a few years ago when Chelsea FC looked like they would dominate for years to come, it has passed. I fear that

the club is now moving more backwards in the direction of Liverpool and Arsenal, and no amount of spending on players and

hiring and firing of managers will prevent this slide.

We have been lucky enough recently to witness a time of great success, but now thanks to the same man that brought the trophies

with his patronage we may be facing the opposite. Other clubs fans could say we have become spoilt, perhaps we have. But it still

breaks my heart how the dream has been turned into a nightmare in a few short months since the Champions league was

somewhat fortunatley won by by a true club legend, RDM and a team that still included a few natural born leaders and champions.

:(

All of this above in sharp contrast to the 2 Manchester clubs that although owned by men of equal or more worth

than Roman are being run by people who are obviously far more efficient and in tune with the business of premier

There was a time a few years ago when Chelsea FC looked like they would dominate for years to come, it has passed. I fear that

the club is now moving more backwards in the direction of Liverpool and Arsenal, and no amount of spending on players and

We have been lucky enough recently to witness a time of great success, but now thanks to the same man that brought the trophies

with his patronage we may be facing the opposite. Other clubs fans could say we have become spoilt, perhaps we have. But it still

breaks my heart how the dream has been turned into a nightmare in a few short months since the Champions league was

somewhat fortunatley won by by a true club legend, RDM and a team that still included a few natural born leaders and champions.

Wise words General - Nail firmly on head

Be interesting to see how citeh fair given they in a similar financial position, albeit 6 yrs down the line

Emenalo joined us when Avram was the interim. But he really cemented his position at the club when Wilkins went. He took the assistant coaching position and never looked back. Could be coincidence but isn't that where our our troubles really started to build? Since then we have had no stability and have seen Carlo, AVB, and RDM sent on their way.

Aside from overestimating the Glazer's fortune, General, you said exactly what was on my mind.

Roman has brought us to the top of the mountain. Now, I feel we will die of exposure up here and be a cautionary tale to future rich club owners. We already are to Man City. Roman has put us here, and thanks to lessons he seemingly cannot learn he is going to make sure we never stay there.

Had he just put his money in and let football people (like Jose) just control things as they saw fit, he would be sitting atop a dynasty right now. As it is, since fall 2007 we have been a crisis club on a near constant basis.

The good news is, in my opinion, this damage can be undone. As CFCs visibility has increased, so have club earnings and profile around the world. If we maintain the team we have now, hire a world class manager that can stay and do his job without interference, bring someone like Hiddink in as director to intervene between management and owner, and just LEAVE IT ALL ALONE the club will go on to further successes. 

Sadly, I just dont see that happening. Maybe the Pep thing was embarrassing enough for him to see, but he hash to recognize there are now people who just dont want to be associated with this club at any price. Look at yourself in the mirror RA. Please

With a midfield weekened with injusies, susprensions and the ANC, why is Malouda still training with the reserves?

Who made that desision? - and why has Rafa stuck to it?

It shows how little control he has here.

Another bizarre one right there.

If the most plausible scenario is correct, both club and Flo refused to blink over his move to Lyon. Chelsea refused to subsidize his wages at a new club, and Flo refused to reduce them.

Once that happened, and the summer transfer window slammed shut, what exactly was gained by sending him to play with the reserves

Its very simple for Gourlay, the club, or whoever was doing the negotiating. You played chicken over subsidizing a high salary (which you gave to him in the first place) and you lost. There is nothing to be gained from ostracizing the player.

it seems like winning some bizarre battle of principle was more important than saving part of Flo's wages. Now they pay all his wages, get no fee in return, and he does nothing for CFC.

The same goes for Benayoun. They paid him that ludicrous wage, so have the good sense to pay part of it away if any new club is interested in taking him. Yossi's wage is 95k a week. Thats about 5m pounds. If you pay half of those wages for West Ham or someone to take him, and get a paltry 2-3 m in a transfer fee, you've come out to 0, and the player is no longer our problem.

Someone has a lot to answer for with regard to the squad this season. Someone allowed us to go into a season where we'd be playing a huge number of games with a squad of about 18 viable players, including just two strikers, one of whom had failed to deliver in the past 18 months and the other was obviously out of favour. Drogba and Anelka left and neither was replaced. Despite this, Lukaku was sent out on loan. Someone also allowed Essien and Meireles to leave when we were already short on midfielders.

All of which makes the Malouda and Benayoun situations all the more baffling. We have a thin squad as it is and while they may not be to everyone's liking they're decent experienced players who would be useful over the course of a season. Either would be ideal for Sunday's match so Mata or Lampard can get a rest. We're paying them anyway so why not make use of them?

But most baffling of all is we don't even know for sure who made these decisions.

Whilst it might not completely turn this ship around, it will be a good day for Chelsea Football Club when we see the backs of Buck, Emenalo and Gourlay, and have them replaced with people who actually know what they're doing, or at least don't walk all over the hardworking people they employ. Gourlay sacking Carlo springs to mind.

I think if we're going to have a Director of Football, it should be someone who's got a good background in management, like Guus Hiddink - I'd love to see him back at the Bridge. I've never understood the whole idea of Directors of Football, all it seems to me is a bloke in a suit ramming transfers, tactics and selections down the manager's throat? Which is exactly how our board and owner see best to run the club, unfortunately..

Whilst it might not completely turn this ship around, it will be a good day for Chelsea Football Club when we see the backs of Buck, Emenalo and Gourlay, and have them replaced with people who actually know what they're doing, or at least don't walk all over the hardworking people they employ. Gourlay sacking Carlo springs to mind.

I think if we're going to have a Director of Football, it should be someone who's got a good background in management, like Guus Hiddink - I'd love to see him back at the Bridge. I've never understood the whole idea of Directors of Football, all it seems to me is a bloke in a suit ramming transfers, tactics and selections down the manager's throat? Which is exactly how our board and owner see best to run the club, unfortunately..

The problem is Buck, Emenalo and Gourlay can simply turn to the trophy cabinet during their reign and say 'Who said we don't know anything about football, look at Arsenal's or Utd's cabinet during the same period' 

The problem is Buck, Emenalo and Gourlay can simply turn to the trophy cabinet during their reign and say 'Who said we don't know anything about football, look at Arsenal's or Utd's cabinet during the same period' 

True. It upsets me that Abramovich and his board have got their priorities wrong - they consider winning trophies to be the be-all-end-all of Chelsea, a bit like the glory-hunters who only see success as what the club stands for. I've said it before but trophies aren't important when compared with identity of the club and the relationship between the fans and the club. Nowadays, you walk into the Bridge and it doesn't feel like anyone's interested in you, only in the rip-off prices you pay for your ticket. It's hard to explain but when I used to live near London and be taken to games with Dad to watch the likes of Zola, Deschamps and Di Matteo play, it felt more like a family. It doesn't now, and that I felt was epitomised by the sacking of RDM and the appointment of the FSW.

Sad times :(

I'm reminded of that scene from The Simpsons where Homer averts a meltdown by shutting his eyes and guessing the correct button. Just because we've been successful over the last decade that doesn't mean we're successful because of the way we're run. I'd say the opposite is true and we've actually underachieved given the resources and talent at our disposal. Had we been managed more shrewdly we'd have won a whole lot more, IMO.

This is a question which has been on my mind for a while- who is actually running this place? What is the plan/vision?

Look at 3 of the best run clubs in Europe: Barca, Ajax and Bayern. They all have one thing in common, everybody is on the same wave length from the boardroom to the under 11's. At Chelsea there is no cohesion between anybody. Not even manager and players right now. 

What does this lead to?

Wasted talent in the academy, overpriced transfers of has beens, high wages dead wood players and bizarre situations like Flo's. Something has to change.
Lets not spend 30 million on a central midfielder. Why not give Josh a chance in the squad?

With the players out on loan worth keeping our squad next year will look like the following

GK: Cech, Courtious (can go out on loan again), Turnball, Hilario

Def: Ivanovic, Dave, Kane, Chalobah, JT, Ake/Kalas, Cahill, Bertrand, Cole

DM: Mikel, Ramires, Luiz, Romue, Josh, Essien

AM: Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Moses, Paizon, Marin, De Bruyne, Flo, Affane

ST: Lukaku, Ba, Feruz

That is a decent squad. Could probably do with an extra striker. But we just need a more integrated approach, use our resources.No need to vanity buy Isco when we have De Bruyne who is probably as good as him. Spending ourselves silly won't solve our issues. We need to buy the right player when they come up, when they can genuinely improve our team rather than just being an addition to the squad. We currently have plenty of resources to build a strong squad.

If there's one good thing FFP will do, it might encourage Roman to stop overspending on players and make better use of our youth squad. I don't buy the whole 'Lampard shouldn't be offered a new contract because of FFP restrictions' stuff - if he goes in the summer, in all likelihood £25m will be earmarked for a replacement like Isco. If he stays, we can promote a youth player like McEachran at the same time who can bounce off Frank's experience, and it'll be cheaper surely?

Archived