Chelsea v Sparta Prague (EL) 21/02/13 KO 20:05 GMT

mourad91

Figured it was about time to post a thread for this game as it's only two days away and there is already a thread for the Man City game on the week-end.

Hard to predict the score these days but ability-wise we're miles apart, let's just hope the boys are up for it. 

COME ON YOU BLUES

Glad to be coming home with an away goal.

Obviously Torres starts, as Ba is cup tied.  My only hope is that we have a reserve team striker, like Feruz but not sure if he's even available, on the bench so we don't get to see Torres mope about for 90 minutes if things aren't going his way.

we look to be taking this seriously, but I wonder if Marin will start again or if we'll see a more regular return to the starting 11?

With the City match on Sunday, I think we'll see a mix.  Maybe even Mikel back into the starting 11 and Lampard rested for the city game.

.....................Cech

Dave........Ivan...Cahill......Bertrand

...............Ramires..Mikel

Moses............Mata.........Marin

.....................Torres

This is a difficult one to pick.  I think that it is now well established that playing on a Thurday is a disadvantage for weekend league games.  (http://worldfootballacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WFA_Study-on-recovery-days.pdf). 

With that in mind we should make full use of our squad against Prague and City.  We should pick our best 11 for City, then pick the best we can for Prague having as few players play both games - except for Cech of course.  I think we're one outfield player short of being able to field two different starting 10.  I think that one outfield player who plays both games should end up being one of the centrebacks.

Based on this being the startng 11 for City on Sunday:

.................Cech

Azpi....Ivan........Cahill.....Cole

........Ramires......Lampard

Moses...Mata.....Hazard

..................Ba

Then the starting 11 for Prague should be something like:

......................Cech

Ferreria.....Terry.....Cahill.....Bertrand

.............Mikel........Luiz

Oscar.....Benayoun....Marin

.................Torres

Key point being only one outfield player backing up.  Debatable points being who are our best two centrebacks, and who is Lampard's best midfield partner.

Momentum is important heading towards some tough fixtures this week and March, although I don't expect Mata, Lampard, Hazard all start this game, I still expect a pertty strong team. I would be shocked if Benayoun or Ferriera start this one.Let's face it, this is one of our realistic chance to win something, don't expect us to give it away without a fight.

Momentum is all very good. We had plenty of momentum in the middle of October: Top of the league with a quarter of the season gone.  We’d scored 4 or more goals in four of our last five games – with that fifth game being a win over Arsenal.

Then we played 6 games in 18 days, including the extra time cup win over united, with essentially the same team. 

The result was from the end of October we took just four points out of a possible 21 in the league and crashed out of the CL and RDM got sacked.

We all know that there are better players in our squad than Ferreria and Benayoun, but those players cannot maintain their performance playing each and every game.  We’ve already seen that this season, and that report I linked to earlier backs that up with some pretty serious evidence. Something has to give:  Either we have a below par performance against city on the weekend, or we have some pretty serious rotation between the two games.

We have to play a lot better than we did in Prague, lucky to walk away with a win.  Might scrape through but I wouldn't be surprised if we go out.  The real fight and priority should be securing 3rd place or even 2nd because that will be the toughest challenge if Roman wants to attract top class players for next season; because we know there will be a clear out in the summer.

I'll be there tomorrow night, my first game this season (probably the last, too expensive for me boo hoo).

So I'm going to say 8-0 Chelsea because I want to see lots of goals and 5 of those will be scored by Frank letting me see him break the scoring record then a hat-trick for Torres because then the evening will be nigh on a miracle in 90 minute form. 

Glad to be coming home with an away goal.

Obviously Torres starts, as Ba is cup tied.  My only hope is that we have a reserve team striker, like Feruz but not sure if he's even available, on the bench so we don't get to see Torres mope about for 90 minutes if things aren't going his way.

we look to be taking this seriously, but I wonder if Marin will start again or if we'll see a more regular return to the starting 11?

With the City match on Sunday, I think we'll see a mix.  Maybe even Mikel back into the starting 11 and Lampard rested for the city game.

.....................Cech

Dave........Ivan...Cahill......Bertrand

...............Ramires..Mikel

Moses............Mata.........Marin

.....................Torres

This is the side I'd send out.

Hopefully we can have a good win, im taking my son to this game, he hasnt been before to any football matches, so a good win along with the experience of the bridge should make it a great evening.

I'm taking the wife along too, it will be her first game, she still thinks live matches are full of hooligans. 

What an incredibly crucial/important set of our next 3 games are; Sparta to progress in the EL, City to push for 2nd place and Boro to progress in FA cup. If we win all 3 the season really takes a turn to bright and positive. If we lose all there is nothing really to play for anymore but for the CL spot.

Now, Rafa you clueless spanish excuse for a manager, assemble all the fudge-covered braincells you were given and make this your mission to win the next three games!

This is a difficult one to pick.  I think that it is now well established that playing on a Thurday is a disadvantage for weekend league games.  (http://worldfootballacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WFA_Study-on-recovery-days.pdf). 

With that in mind we should make full use of our squad against Prague and City.  We should pick our best 11 for City, then pick the best we can for Prague having as few players play both games - except for Cech of course.  I think we're one outfield player short of being able to field two different starting 10.  I think that one outfield player who plays both games should end up being one of the centrebacks.

Based on this being the startng 11 for City on Sunday:

.................Cech

Azpi....Ivan........Cahill.....Cole

........Ramires......Lampard

Moses...Mata.....Hazard

..................Ba

Then the starting 11 for Prague should be something like:

......................Cech

Ferreria.....Terry.....Cahill.....Bertrand

.............Mikel........Luiz

Oscar.....Benayoun....Marin

.................Torres

Key point being only one outfield player backing up.  Debatable points being who are our best two centrebacks, and who is Lampard's best midfield partner.

I have to say I agree with the idea that we have to rotate seriously in this game, and am mostly Ok with the team above. Just bring Ramires in place of Luiz/ Mikel. One of these two should partner lamps at CM. No Mata surely - needs all the rest for city. At RB we might go with a youngster (Ake) as a sub after we go a goal up (after Oscar scores :) surely you-know-who wudn't bother scoring rite) same with feruz (for yossi). Marin to play full 90, needs to get match time.

we dont need just to get qualified. we need a great performance and a 3-0 result to boost the team for the game against city.
the ideal senario would be to give some rest to players like frankie and ivanovic, and to give to substitute players the motivation to use them again.
anyway, our focus is on manchester away, but without forgeting that sparta prague is another opponent we have to come over. weak of course! but opponent for sure!

................Cech

Dave.......JT....Cahill....Bertrand

...........Mikel......Ramires

Marin..........Oscar...........Hazard

.........Moses/Lampard/Ferrira/Ivan/Ake/Feruz/Hilario

That's the team I'd like to see but I am sure the FSW will be picking our ghost number 9 for yet another start. Sparta looked a poor outfit in the first leg. There should be no problems whichever side we put out.

................Cech

Dave.......JT....Cahill....Bertrand

...........Mikel......Ramires

Marin..........Oscar...........Hazard

.........Moses/Lampard/Ferrira/Ivan/Ake/Feruz/Hilario

That's the team I'd like to see but I am sure the FSW will be picking our ghost number 9 for yet another start. Sparta looked a poor outfit in the first leg. There should be no problems whichever side we put out.

No Luiz?

Archived