Wilfried Bony

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

A couple of papers linking us with Wilfried Bony this morning.

The 24 year old Ivory Coast international is top scorer in Holland, with 26 goals in 24 league games for Vitesse Arnhem, who Chelsea have close links to having sent 7 of our youth players there on loan over the past couple of seasons. 

Wilfried-Bony_2866514.jpg

No thanks. Don't need him or yet another player who we lose to the ACON every couple of years at the crunch stage of a season.

My first thought when I saw this was that we would potentially lose Ba and Bony for 6 weeks every two years.

I personally don't think you can be overly reliant on having African players in one position for your team because it can leave you looking too lightweight. 

With regards to Bony himself, I know very little about him but I can't imagine he would be a huge improvement on having Lukaku in our squad next season and I personally think the step up from the Dutch league to the Premier League is massive. 

some nice finishes in there tbh but like others have said having him gone for ACON will have us light up front. Didn't kezman tear that league up too before joining us?

Yes and, quite frankly, the Eredivisie was stronger when Kezman played. To illustrate what a joke of a league it is, Jozy Altidore has 25 domestic goals in 31 matches. Jozy Altidore is one of the least skilled, dumbest forwards I've ever seen in my life. A thoroughly sh*t player, who was completely out of his depth in Spain and England, putting up those kinds of stats shows that Eredivisie performances must be taken with a mountain of salt.

Edited by That Boy Brandinho

Yes and, quite frankly, the Eredivisie was stronger when Kezman played. To illustrate what a joke of a league it is, Jozy Altidore has 25 domestic goals in 31 matches. Jozy Altidore is one of the least skilled, dumbest forwards I've ever seen in my life. A thoroughly sh*t player, who was completely out of his depth in Spain and England, putting up those kinds of stats shows that Eredivisie performances must be taken with a mountain of salt.

I just looked this guy up on Wiki.

1 goal in 28 appearances for Hull.

33 in 60 for AZ...... Ha ha, quality. 

I just looked this guy up on Wiki.

1 goal in 28 appearances for Hull.

33 in 60 for AZ...... Ha ha, quality. 

1 in 9 in La Liga.

1 in 11 in Turkey.

1 in 28 in the Premiership.

He actually played for multiple teams in La Liga, but could only get on the pitch for one of them. The club that couldn't find time to give him a solitary appearance? Mighty Xerez, of course. 

1 in 9 in La Liga.

1 in 11 in Turkey.

1 in 28 in the Premiership.

He actually played for multiple teams in La Liga, but could only get on the pitch for one of them. The club that couldn't find time to give him a solitary appearance? Mighty Xerez, of course. 

I'm now going through on Wiki looking at all the top scorers from the division from previous seasons to see where they have ended up since, pretty mixed bag I must say. 

And is not as if we are going to loose African players to AFCON in January, reason being that this year's edition was played because they had shifted it from January to summer time(June-July) and in order not to clash with next year World Cup, they had to play it this year meaning the next edition would be around June 2015.

African players in Europe called up, can be allowed to play as it is after the season must have ended.

I think something along that line.

If the club sees he's okay, fine and good. But, am only after the huge gap btw the two leagues, he might flop in the EPL.

Edited by Normal9ja

Yeah I mean look at all the sh*t strikers to come out of the Eredivisie in recent years; Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Suarez, Huntelaar, Bergkamp, we'd be mad to go after a player from there after those massive flops.

Yeah I mean look at all the sh*t strikers to come out of the Eredivisie in recent years; Van Nistelrooy, Van Persie, Suarez, Huntelaar, Bergkamp, we'd be mad to go after a player from there after those massive flops.

You could, like, not put words in peoples' mouths.

I advise caution when evaluating player performance in such a poor league, not that we should avoid the league entirely.

Reading comprehension, mate. It'd serve you well.

You could, like, not put words in peoples' mouths.

I advise caution when evaluating player performance in such a poor league, not that we should avoid the league entirely.

Reading comprehension, mate. It'd serve you well.

Taking it with a mountain of salt, in other words suggesting that achievements there are virtually irrelevant to their abilities in "top leagues", while some of the worlds best strikers of the last 15 years have come from there.

No need to get so bitchy about it mate you're just wrong.

Taking it with a mountain of salt, in other words suggesting that achievements there are virtually irrelevant to their abilities in "top leagues", while some of the worlds best strikers of the last 15 years have come from there.

No need to get so bitchy about it mate you're just wrong.

I'm certainly not "wrong", you just evidently aren't familiar with the quality (or lack thereof) in the Eredivisie. The top scorers from the past decade:

2012 - Bas Dost - an uncapped 23 year old with a 1 in 3 scoring rate in Germany

2011 - Björn Vleminckx - 27 year old Belgian with 3 caps who's now on loan in Turkey

2010 - Luis Suarez 

2009 - Mounir El Hamdaoui - 28 year old Moroccan who washed out at Tottenham and has a 1 in 5 scoring rate in Italy

2008 - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

2007 - Afonso Alves - 32 year old Brasilian who flopped miserably at Middlesborough and is now playing in Qatar

2006 - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

2005 - Dirk Kuyt - a mediocre player most notable in England for working really hard, not scoring

2004 - Mateja Kezman

2003 - Mateja Kezman

2002 - Pierre Van Hooijdonk - another mediocre player who achieved a measure of success in the Championship with Nottingham Forest

You can go on about those top strikers all you want, but facts are facts and most of the top scorers in the Eredivisie are not very good players. Have you forgotten that that was what we were discussing? The top scorers, hence why you should take statistics in the Eredivisie with a mountain of salt. Anybody could watch Van Persie and see that he's an incredible talent, but when we're talking about players where the primary selling point is their goal tally, yes, the mountain of salt is the only way to take it. 

• 1 month later...

I'm certainly not "wrong", you just evidently aren't familiar with the quality (or lack thereof) in the Eredivisie. The top scorers from the past decade:

2012 - Bas Dost - an uncapped 23 year old with a 1 in 3 scoring rate in Germany

2011 - Björn Vleminckx - 27 year old Belgian with 3 caps who's now on loan in Turkey

2010 - Luis Suarez 

2009 - Mounir El Hamdaoui - 28 year old Moroccan who washed out at Tottenham and has a 1 in 5 scoring rate in Italy

2008 - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

2007 - Afonso Alves - 32 year old Brasilian who flopped miserably at Middlesborough and is now playing in Qatar

2006 - Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

2005 - Dirk Kuyt - a mediocre player most notable in England for working really hard, not scoring

2004 - Mateja Kezman

2003 - Mateja Kezman

2002 - Pierre Van Hooijdonk - another mediocre player who achieved a measure of success in the Championship with Nottingham Forest

You can go on about those top strikers all you want, but facts are facts and most of the top scorers in the Eredivisie are not very good players. Have you forgotten that that was what we were discussing? The top scorers, hence why you should take statistics in the Eredivisie with a mountain of salt. Anybody could watch Van Persie and see that he's an incredible talent, but when we're talking about players where the primary selling point is their goal tally, yes, the mountain of salt is the only way to take it. 

Nice list, but doesn't say that much. Bony is rated as one of the best strikers the Eredivisie ever had. Ronaldo and Romario are on the same list.

This player is by far better and more complete then Lukaku. The 12,5 million pound rumor is nice, but Vitesse rejected a 18 million euro bid from CSKA last season already.

This guy has got a West Ham/Fulham kind of level look about him to me. Don't think he's anywhere near the level we should be looking at.

And you say that because you saw him 40 x 90 minutes this season?