Favourite League Cup win

Bobbywoodhogan

Which of these was your favourite of our 5 League Cup victories:

Chelsea 3 Leicester City 2

I am actually unsure if anyone here is old enough to have actually watched this at the time. I have only seen it on highlights myself. Bobby Tambling, Terry Venables and Eddie McCreadie's goals gave Chelsea the win on the day and the first league cup in our history.

Chelsea 2 Middlesboro 0

This one I remember very well, scoreline wss 2-0 but Boro put up a good fight on the day. I rememenr been very nervous as I was for the 1997 FA Cup Final but maybe moreso cause this was a different team to that one. Eddie Newton was the hero on the day giving us the lead, Roberto DiMatteo once again scored against Boro in a cup final to extend the lead. The goal wasn't as spectacular as his in the FA Cup final but it was just as important as it killed the game off. To be honest I think beating Arsenal in the semi final second leg meant just as much as the final did to me in some ways, as we couldn't beat them back in the day.

Chelsea 3 Liverpool 2

The 90 minutes is a bit of a blur to me tbh, I remember Riise giving Liverpool the lead (with one hell of a goal if I'm honest) and I felt really stressed as the game was coming to a close but thankfully Gerrard's own goal header gave us an equaliser right at the end, probably more remembered for Jose Mourinho shushing the Liverpool fans than anything. Extra time was where we came alive, with goals from Drogba and Kezman taking us 3-1 up before Nunez pulled one back about a minute after. Was a tense finish but we held on and win the cup. This is probably the most important of the league cups we have won as it gave this group of players that winning feeling they needed to go on and win the Premier League.

Chelsea 2 Arsenal 1

This was one of the best football cup finals I've watched, itsactually quite a rarity in that a cup final is also an enjoyable football match but this one had everything. Walcott gave Arsenal the lead and they really did give us a game, were it not for Petr Cech we might have lost this one. Drogba levelled the game up early on in the first half but it was the second half that the game really got going. It's weird remembering what order stuff happened in, I know John Terry was knocked out before the winner was scored and it was a truly horrible moment to witness. I honestly thought he was dead for a moment but thankfully they were able to deal with him quickly and credit to the Arsnal players here who we're screaming for the doctors and such to come on. Shevchenko and Lampard both hit the woodwork in the match but Didier Drogba got the winner. A superb cross from Arjen Robben was met with a bullet of a header from Drogba. Towards the end of the match it kicked off between the two sides, Adebayor, Mikel and Kolo Toure all saw red. This for me is the best of the finals we won, it truly did have it all.

Chelsea 2 Tottenahm Hotspur 0

The most recent of the cup finals as it was only a few weeks ago, winning this was massive in my opinion. Not only did I want revenge for 2008 but after not winning anything last year I felt we needed to get an early trophy in the bag. I had a feeling at the end of last season we'd win this and the league this season (one down, one to go). It wasn't the best of games but tacticully it was a master stroke from Mourinho, outside of Eriksen's freekick hitting the woodwork Spurs were never really in the game. While it would have been nice to see some really great goals (which Haz nearly delivered in the second half but went just wide and Fabregs overhead kick attempt aswell), two deflected goals from John Terry and Costa were good enough and we won the game convincingly. Hopefully this one is the start of a new winning era.

It's a close call as 2005 is such a great memory.. but I have to go with 2015 as I was at the final and it's the first piece of silverware I've seen us win in the flesh. 

Thoughts go to my old man who's a life-long Chelsea fan yet has never seen us win anything in the flesh, and watched us lose the League Cup Final to Stoke in 1973 while sitting in the Stoke end.  :face_palm:

2005 for me, it set the tone, mentality of the club and it's longer serving players which inspired the success that followed. The fact that it was against the red s***e, Gerrard's own goal and Jose shushing the fans was icing on the cake.

2007 was a close runner-up though. Real eventful game. 

2005, but at the time and in retrospect. Didn't just get us that trophy, didn't just set us up for the win but took us out of a mini-rut and set us up to SMASH Barcelona 4-2 in the return leg.

The Gerrard stuff (when rumours were already swirling about him coming to us) and the Mourinho 'ssshh' in his classic grey coat....perfect.

1998 was great as well but the FA Cup win the year before really does put it in the shadow.

Good point about 2007 and cup finals generally being sh*t.

It's a close call as 2005 is such a great memory.. but I have to go with 2015 as I was at the final and it's the first piece of silverware I've seen us win in the flesh.

Thoughts go to my old man who's a life-long Chelsea fan yet has never seen us win anything in the flesh, and watched us lose the League Cup Final to Stoke in 1973 while sitting in the Stoke end. :face_palm:

You just made me realise I put 2014 instead if 2015 oops!

I'd love to claim it was the first but can't because it was just before my time. And so I'm going with the latest: finally beating Tottenham at Wembley.  I can fully understand why so many people would opt for the 2005 win over Liverpool,, but taking everything into account, Tottenham are still The Enemy.

Thinking about it, Tottenham fans actually have a lot in common with scousers. Bitter and spiteful, equally delusional and with a similar sense of entitlement. In Tottenham's case it's all the more farcical given their lack of silverware. And so when we kicked Tottenham out of the Champions League by actually winning the troph, it was well and truly the icing on the cake.

2005.....had one of my southerner plastic scouser mates text me giving it when Rise scored in the first minute, so I waited, bided my time, and ripped it out of him when we won.

Scouser taunting aside, it was special because it was Jose's first trophy with us, and also the first trophy of a new era for the club.

Archived