Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zinc

Fallout 4

Never played any of the Fallout games but very tempted to get this. Is it a shooter/Halo type of game?

It's is a shooter but the vats system which slows time and let's you focus on a particular body part, adds quite a strategic level to the combat, especially early on.

Of course things get a whole let easier once you have fantastic armour and weapons.

I think one of fallouts main appeal is some of the bizarre humor you come across.

Never played any of the Fallout games but very tempted to get this. Is it a shooter/Halo type of game?

It certainly is a shooter game. Not quite like Halo as you can use weapons like axes and it is rather bizarre.

I believe there are more varieties of weapons typically used in shooter games and it allows more player freedom to roam as compared to Halo.

Have you played Skyrim before? If you did, think of this as a post-apocalyptic Skyrim with guns. Big guns. Oh, and nuclear radiation. 

Amazing game. Highly recommend it. 

Have you played Skyrim before? If you did, think of this as a post-apocalyptic Skyrim with guns. Big guns. Oh, and nuclear radiation.

I think that's an accurate description considering that Bethesda's Fallout 3 was basically Oblivion with hats :)

I think that's an accurate description considering that Bethesda's Fallout 3 was basically Oblivion with hats :)

Hahaha, indeed. Gotta say Bethesda is a top-notch company, massively love their games.  :JC_doubleup:

Anyway, thanks for your recommendation for Wasteland 2 DC, having a blast playing it!

You probably haven't read my older posts in the topic ;) That wasn't a compliment, I'm not a fan of Bethesda. I think that their writers are horrible; the story, the quests and the npcs are all bland and boring in every rpg game they produce and I tried them all since TES2: Daggerfall (those timed random quests are still giving me bad dreams).

Anyway, I accepted that I'm in a minority here with this opinion, so I don't want to start an argument. Have fun with WL2! :)

You probably haven't read my older posts in the topic ;) That wasn't a compliment, I'm not a fan of Bethesda. I think that their writers are horrible; the story, the quests and the npcs are all bland and boring in every rpg game they produce and I tried them all since TES2: Daggerfall (those timed random quests are still giving me bad dreams).

Anyway, I accepted that I'm in a minority here with this opinion, so I don't want to start an argument. Have fun with WL2! :)

Oh my bad, I must have misread your posts.

I do somewhat agree with you on the story and quest thing. They seemed shallow and boring at times, though the combat (for Fallout and TES) made up for it.

Have you tried playing Dishonored before? It was pretty un-Bethesda IMO.

That's the main difference between us right there. For me the story and the characters are the most important parts of an rpg by far. If that aspect is severly lacking then there's no way combat or anything else can make up for it. Bethesda creates gorgeous and huge open worlds, I give them that. Maybe they should team up with Obsidian who have a few team members who know a thing or two about writing (it was Obsidian who salvaged F3 with the New Vegas iteration).

Dishonored was only published by Bethesda, they didn't develop it. I didn't play much with it. The last stealth game I really enjoyed was Alpha Protocol.

Ah, I see. Don't get me wrong, I'm more of a "overall package" kind of guy in games haha. 

Just curious, what were the RPG games that you have played and enjoyed?

Are they like say Final Fantasy, Dragon Age, Witcher?

FFVII was fun, Dragon Age and Witcher for sure, Mass Effect obviously, and mostly the classics: Fallout 1/2, the Baldur's Gates, Torment, NWN... or the oldies like Wasteland 1 :), The Bard's Tale, Eye of the Beholder, Pool of Radiance, Wizardry, Ultima... First person can be ok too: Gothic, Deus Ex, System Shock 2...

All those games were outstanding. I spent so long on the eye of the beholder on my Amiga. Got lost so many times though...

Wow, more than half of them were my favourites too.

Between the Dragon age and Witcher trilogies, which do you think is better?

Hard to say, different games, only the third of each can be compared somewhat in style. There are similarities though: great first game despite struggling a bit with game mechanics, underwhelming second game, and the third for both was too much influenced by Skyrim. I'd say they are about on the same level. Maybe DA a bit better but damn I loved the first Witcher.

All those games were outstanding. I spent so long on the eye of the beholder on my Amiga. Got lost so many times though...

Oh yeah they were hard, you had to discover every hidden switch and whatnot often with no help or hint at all. And you needed to have pen and paper at hand to draw maps and solve the puzzles.

Ha ha, maths paper with all those squares to draw maps. Ah, them where the days with no Google to help you if you got stuck.

You guys would love Pillars of Eternity.

I like it too, it's just very time consuming. I need to be in the right frame of mind to play it. 

I pre-purchased it (missed the kickstarter campaign) and yes, I enjoyed it. My second playthrough is about at 60-70%, I put it aside when WL2 DC come out. I'll get back to it probably when part 2 of the White March expansion comes out.

The one I'm waiting for the most is Torment: Tides of Numenera. The original Torment game was probably my favourite from Black Isle, and this one had Chris Avallone on the staff again, it's produced by Brian Fargo and most importantly it boasts Patrick Rothfuss as one of the writers.

Debating whether to get this. I had Fallout 3 but couldn't get in to it. Loved the concept of it but for some reason couldn't get into it.

Couldn't get into the combat part of it, always felt massively under powered and a huge struggle.

Think I should take the plunge and devote some time to it?

Spoilers ahead. Only click if you're certain.

All S.P.E.C.I.A.L perks for this game

STRENGTH is a measure of your raw physical power. It affects how much you can carry, and the damage of all melee attacks.

Iron Fist - Channel your chi to unleash devastating fury! Punching attacks do 20% more damage to your opponent. (5 Ranks)
Big Leagues - Swing for the fences! Do 20% more melee weapon damage. (5 Ranks)
Armorer - Protect yourself from the dangers of the Wasteland with access to base level and Rank 1 armor mods. (4 Ranks)
Blacksmith - Fire up the forge and gain access to base level and Rank 1 melee weapon mods. (3 Ranks)
Heavy Gunner - Thanks to practice and conditioning, heavy guns do 20% more damage. (5 Ranks)
Strong Back - What are you, part pack mule? Gain +25 to carry weight. (4 Ranks)
Stead Aim - Stay on target! Hip-fire accuracy is improved when firing any gun. (2 Ranks)
Basher - Get up close and personal! Gun bashing does 25% more damage. (4 Ranks)
Rooted - You're part tree! While standing still, you gain +25 Damage Resistance and your melee and unarmed attacks deal 25% more damage (3 Ranks)
Pain Train - Choo choo! All aboard! While wearing Power Armor, sprinting into enemies hurts and staggers them. (Robots and oversized enemies are immune to stagger.) (3 Ranks)

PERCEPTION is your environmental awareness and "sixth sense," and affects weapon accuracy in V.A.T.S.

Pickpocket - Your quick hands and sticky fingers make picking pockets 25% easier. (4 Ranks)
Rifleman - Keep your distance long and your kill-count high. Attacks with non-automatic rifles do 20% more damage. (5 Ranks)
Awareness - To defeat your enemies, you know their weaknesses! You can view a targets specific damage resistances in V.A.T.S. (1 Rank)
Locksmith - Your nimble fingers allow you to pick Advanced locks. (4 Ranks)
Demolition Expert - The bigger the boom, the better! Your explosives do 25% more damage, and you can craft explosives at any Chemistry Station. (4 Ranks)
Night Person - You are a creature of the night! Gain +2 to Intelligence and Perception between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m. (2 Ranks)
Refractor - You must be part mirror! Instantly gain +10 Energy Resistance. (5 Ranks)
Sniper - It's all about focus. You have improved control and can hold your breath longer when aiming with scopes. (3 Ranks)
Penetrator - There's no place to hide! In V.A.T.S. you can target an enemy's body parts that are blocked by cover, with a decrease in accuracy. (2 Ranks)
Concentrated Fire - Stay focused! In V.A.T.S. every attack on the same body part gains +10% accuracy. (3 Ranks)

ENDURANCE is a measure of your overall physical fitness. It affects your total Health and the Action Point drain from sprinting.

Toughness - You now have +20 Damage Resistance (5 Ranks)
Lead Belly - Your digestive tract has adjusted to the weirdness of the Wasteland! Take less radiation from eating or drinking. (3 Ranks)
Life Giver - You instantly gain another +20 maximum Health. (3 ranks)
Chem Resistant - All the rush without the hassle! You're 50% less likely to get addicted when consuming chems. (2 Ranks)
Aquaboy - Water is your ally. You no longer take radiation damage from swimming, and can breath underwater (2 Ranks)
Rad Resistant - Exposure to the Wasteland has made you more resilient, instantly granting +10 Radiation Resistance. (3 Ranks)
Adamantium Skeleton - Your skeleton has been infused with indestructible metal, reducing limb damage by 30% (3 Ranks)
Cannibal - Feast on mortal flesh to heal your wounds! Eating human corpses restores Health. (3 Ranks)
Ghoulish - Sure, you're still human - on the outside! Radiation now regenerates your lost Health. (3 Ranks)
Solar Powered - Catch some rays! Gain +2 to Strength and Endurance between the hours of 6:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. (3 Ranks)

CHARISMA is your ability to charm and convince others. It affects your success to persuade in dialogue and prices when you barter.

Cap Collector - Buying and selling prices at vendors are now much better. (3 Ranks)
Lady Killer - You're charming... and dangerous. Women suffer +5% damage in combat, and are easier to persuade in dialogue. (3 Ranks)
Lone Wanderer - Who needs friends, anyway? When adventuring without a companion, you take 15% less damage and carry weight increases by 50. (3 Ranks)
Attack Dog - Your faithful canine companion can hold an enemy, giving you a greater chance to hit them in V.A.T.S. (3 Ranks)
Animal Friend - Commune with beasts! With your gun, aim at any animal below your level and gain a chance to pacify it. (3 Ranks)
Local Leader - As the ruler everyone turns to, you are able to establish supply lines between your workshop settlements. (2 Ranks)
Party Boy - Nobody has a good time like you! There's no chance you'll get addicted to alcohol. (3 Ranks)
Traditional - Because you lead by example, your companion does more damage in combat, and cannot hurt you. (3 Ranks)
Wasteland Whisperer - Master the post-apocalypse! With your gain, aim at any Wasteland creature below your level and gain a chance to pacify it. (3 Ranks)
Intimidation - Time to show everyone who's boss! With your gun, aim at any human opponent below your level and gain a chance to pacify them. (3 Ranks)

INTELLIGENCE is a measure of your overall mental acuity, and affects the number of Experience Points earned.

V.A.N.S. - Let Vault-Tec guide you! The path to your closest quest target is displayed in V.A.T.S. (1 Ranks)
Medic - Stimpaks now restore 60% of lost Health, and RadAway removes 60% of radiation. (4 Ranks)
Gun Nut - Shoot first, kill first, with access to base level and Rank 1 gun mods. (4 Ranks)
Hacker - Knowledge of cutting-edge computer encryption allows you to hack Advanced terminals. (4 Ranks)
Scrapper - Waste not, want not! You can salvage uncommon components like screws, aluminum, and copper when scrapping weapons and armor. (2 Ranks)
Science! - Take full advantage of advanced technology with access to base level and Rank 1 high-tech mods. (4 Ranks)
Chemist - Any chems you take last 50% longer. Far out. (4 Ranks)
Robotics Expert - Machines will always serve humans, if you have anything to say about it. Hack a robot, and gain a chance to power it on or off, or initiate a self-destruct. (3 Ranks)
Nuclear Physicist - You've learned to split the atom... and command it. Radiation weapons do 50% more damage and Fusion Cores last an extra 25% longer. (3 Ranks)
Nerd Rage - Genius. Is. ANGRY! When your Health drops below 20%, time slows and you gain +20 Damage Resistance and do 20% more damage while the effect lasts. (3 Ranks)

AGILITY is a measure of your overall finesse and reflexes. It affects the number of Action Points in V.A.T.S and your ability to sneak.

Gunslinger - Channel the spirit of the Old West! Non-automatic pistols do 20% more damage. (5 Ranks)
Commando - Your automatic weapons now do 40% more damage, and improved hip fire accuracy. (5 Ranks)
Sneak - Become whisper, become shadow. You are 20% harder to detect while sneaking. (5 Ranks)
Mister Sandman - As an agent of death itself, you can instantly kill a sleeping person. Your silenced weapons do an additional 15% sneak damage. (3 Ranks)
Action Boy - There's no time to waste! Your Action Points regenerate 25% faster. (2 Ranks)
Moving Target - They can't hurt what they can't hit! Get +25 Damage Resistance and +25 Energy Resistance when you're sprinting. (3 Ranks)
Ninja - Trained as a shadow warrior, your ranged sneak attacks do 2.5x normal damage and your melee sneak attacks do 4x normal damage. (3 Ranks)
Quick Hands - In combat, there's no time to hesitate. You can reload all guns faster. (2 Ranks)
Blitz - Find the gap and make the tackle! V.A.T.S. melee distance is increased significantly. (2 Ranks)
Gun-Fu - You've learned to apply ancient martial arts to gunplay! Do 25% more damage to your second V.A.T.S. target and beyond. (3 Ranks)

LUCK is a measure of your general good fortune, and affects the recharge rate of Critical Hits.

Fortune Finder - You find even more bottle caps in containers (3 Ranks)
Scrounger - You find even more ammunition in containers. (4 Ranks)
Bloody Mess - You now inflict +10% damage in combat. (4 Ranks)
Mysterious Stranger - Who is he? Why does he help? Who cares! The Mysterious Stranger will appear occasionally in V.A.T.S. to lend a hand, with deadly efficiency.. (3 Ranks)
Idiot Savant - You're not stupid! Just... different. Randomly receive 3x XP from any action, and the lower your intelligence, the greater the chance. (3 Ranks)
Better Criticals - Advanced training for enhanced combat effectiveness! Criticals do 50% more damage. (3 Ranks)
Critical Banker - You're a patient battlefield tactician, and can save a Critical Hit, to be used in V.A.T.S. when you need it most. (3 Ranks)
Grim Reaper's Sprint - Death becomes you! Any kill in V.A.T.S. has a 15% chance to restore all Action Points. (2 Ranks)
Four Leaf Clover - Feeling lucky? You should! Each hit in V.A.T.S. has a chance of filling your Critical meter. (5 Ranks)
Ricochet - What goes around comes around! An enemy's ranged attack will sometimes ricochet back and instantly kill them. The closer you are to death, the higher the chance. (3 Ranks)

For more information:
https://vid.me/Qqh2