Best football images

offside

Posted (edited)
World%2BSoccer%252C%2BJune%2Bjuly%2B1975%2B%252810%2529.jpg
Photo From: World Soccer, June July 1975 
(May 17, 1975, Home Championship, Northern Ireland 0-England 0)

img20190225_19121030.jpg
England%252C%2BThe%2BComplete%2BPost-War%2BRecord%252C%2BAuthor%2BMike%2BPayne%2B%25282%2529.jpg
The above game ended 2-2.

England%252C%2BThe%2BComplete%2BPost-War%2BRecord%252C%2BAuthor%2BMike%2BPayne%2B%25282%2529.jpg
It was 5-1 to England in the above game in May 1975 v Scotland.

It used to be ‘The Home International Championship’ being played at this time of the year.
Certainly in the mid 1970s. 

Edited by erskblue

Posted (edited)
On 15/05/2021 at 10:28, Boyne said:

Taken in the mid to late seventies. Some great players of that time and from the sixties. Some of those from the sixties have put on a few pounds. Slim Jim doesn't look so slim. Must have come from running a pub!

FB_IMG_1621070472180.jpg

This was at a midweek game v Dundee Utd in early May 1976.

Before kick off, there was a short game between the veterans of the 1949 and 1964 Treble winning sides.

The then current Rangers side had just completed the Treble in 1975/76. 

Edited by erskblue

Posted (edited)
The still amazing Willie Donachie own goal for Wales in the 1-1 draw with Scotland in the Home International at Hampden on 17th May 1978.
 Commentator is a completely disbelieving  Hugh Johns.
Edited by erskblue

Another from the 1995 UEFA Cup Final Juventus v Parma. Dino Baggio equalises in the San Siro.  Juventus decided to play their home leg in the San Siro.
Culture of Football Classics on Twitter.

7 hours ago, Boyne said:

A Rangers legend and one of the best full backs I've seen.

FB_IMG_1621547070272.jpg

Player of The Year in Scotland in 1974/75 and then again in 1985/86.  
He was also a very good sweeper with Hearts at the end of his career. His reading of the game was just class. A gentleman off the pitch too.

4 hours ago, erskblue said:

Player of The Year in Scotland in 1974/75 and then again in 1985/86.  
He was also a very good sweeper with Hearts at the end of his career. His reading of the game was just class. A gentleman off the pitch too.

A shame that he is no longer with us. It would have been great for Sandy to have seen the 'Gers win title 55. A player who could play anywhere in defence and in his early career midfield and even centre-forward at one stage.

On 20/05/2021 at 22:47, Boyne said:

A Rangers legend and one of the best full backs I've seen.

FB_IMG_1621547070272.jpg

Pat Nevin in his new book, on Sandy Jardine.

‘He refers fondly to Sandy Jardine, then at Hearts, taking him aside after a match at Shawfield when the great Scottish defender had dominated the spindly winger.’           Pat was in his last season at Clyde.

'He told me what I should have done in the game,' says Nevin. 'I asked him why he was being so kind.

'He just told me that he was retiring and so wouldn't play against me again. He added that he thought I would be off to England soon.'

Camp Nou, July 1984. Terry Venables watching his first training session as  FC Barcelona manager. [Credit: Bob Thomas Sports Photography via Getty Images]

FootballRetroPlus on Twitter.

US forward Joe Gaetjens being carried off the pitch by Brazilians after he scores the winner in the USA's 1-0 defeat of England in the 1950 World Cup in Belo Horizonte 29 June 1950.

The England team that day included Ramsey,Finney, Bentley,Hughes and Mortensen

, B

Joe Gaetjens.jpg

Posted (edited)

From the England v Scotland game at Wembley in 1963. England's Bobby Smith and Scotland's Eric Caldow were both injured early on. Caldow broke his leg and Smith returned after treatment. This was before substitutes so Scotland played about 85 minutes of the match with ten men but still won 2-1. Both of Scotland's goals were scored by Jim Baxter one of four Rangers players in the side. The others being Caldow, Davie Wilson and Willie Henderson. The four were part of the great Rangers side of the early sixties.

image.jpeg.602a97cc0e890420b180ecec72969d9e.jpeg

Edited by Boyne

On 20/05/2021 at 00:01, erskblue said:
That Brazil team of 1982.    My favourite ever international side.
FootballRetroPlus on Twitter.

MINE TOO!  Toninio Cerezo, Zico, Junior, Paolo Roberto Falcao. and of course DR. SOCRATES!!!!