Desailly

undertow

could someone tell me when did we sign him? possibly the exact date. or at least, was it before or during the world cup?

i think it was before it but i can be wrong.

according to wikipedia that's right, but transfermarkt.de says the transfer happened in july. so what's the truth? :)

Just over ?4.5m - just think how little you would get for that now and we got a legend!

The Brit would argue that. icon_eek.gif

The Rock was one of the the greatest defenders I ever saw.

JT always said how much he learnt from him.

If only he could come back and teach Carvalho. icon_wink.gif

Desailly was a brilliant defender but i cant help thinking he coasted through some games, which annoyed me.

However, his performance at Old Trafford in the FA Cup game in 1999 remains the greatest ever defensive performance by a player i have ever seen.

I will never accept that BJD.

He simply got old, lost some of his physical prowess and just wasn't the same player at the death, (exactly like Sheva for me). But I honestly never saw a game where I felt he wasn't giving 100%. And that for me is the biggest crime you can ever commit wearing the Chelsea blue. Not giving your all. Wave that accusation at Jimmy. Wave it at Robben and Ballack, you'll get no argument from me. But Marcel ? No.

I find a modern day comparison with Maka. Why ? Because a lot of opposition fans level that criticism at Makelele. "He strolls through games". I always answer it by saying he is so much better than anything you ever watched before, and so far above those around him he makes it look easy. Desailly was the same. And don't forget Marcel had Frank Le Plank playing alongside him for much of his Chelsea career. Frank Le Plank, a man that was to defending and positional stability what Vanessa Feltz is to hang-gliding.

I remember the game you talk about, but I actually think he peaked in Gelshenkirchen against Besiktas. AWESOME. No, I'm sorry. The word doesn't do justice to what he was that night on and off the pitch, all in the most hostile atmosphere I have ever encountered.

Marcel Desailly - Chelsea Legend.

I will never accept that BJD.

He simply got old, lost some of his physical prowess and just wasn't the same player at the death, (exactly like Sheva for me). But I honestly never saw a game where I felt he wasn't giving 100%. And that for me is the biggest crime you can ever commit wearing the Chelsea blue. Not giving your all. Wave that accusation at Jimmy. Wave it at Robben and Ballack, you'll get no argument from me. But Marcel ? No.

Marcel Desailly - Chelsea Legend.

actually i think some of his coasting performances were in his early chelsea days, i really do think he took the piss in a few games. not quite at ballacks level granted. however towards the end and in particular when he was made captain, yes he was immense.

a great player ? yes, undoubtedly. but a chelsea legend ? not for me just mate, im sorry (i know loads of others will disagree too)

for a proper chelsea legend please see my picture post in your hail drogba thread!

I am firmly in Just's camp (that doesn't really sound manly does it!) on this one.

Marcel was fabulous for us throughout his time, the man oozed class and quality. His timing and awareness was second to none. And in JT his legacy lives on. I truly believe that JT would not be anything like the player he is now if he hadn't learnt his trade from Marcel.

Desailly was undoubtedly a Chelsea great, but I hesitate to use the term 'legend'. There are many Chelsea players who have been given so-called 'legend' status by some people, but very few actually really deserve it. Then again, I suppose it's all down to personal opinion, which makes it an interesting subject.

My Chelsea 'legends'? I'll just select players who've been at Chelsea since I started supporting them: -

Peter Osgood

Ron Harris

Peter Bonetti

Charlie Cooke

Kerry Dixon

Dennis Wise

Gianfranco Zola

Of course, there have been many Chelsea players over the years who I consider great, too many to list - but I'm not sure I'd call them legends.

That's a fair point Bluebeard - I wouldn't call Marcel a Chelsea legend if for no other reason than we are not the club you most associate with Marcel. I would imagine most non Chelsea fans would thin of Milan before they thought of Chelsea when they heard his name.

Now Stevie Clarke however!!

BB, i went to my first Chelsea match in 84 so i cannot have your knowledge of the first 4 on your list.

The final 3 however i think are spot on. Can i also add Roberto DiMatteo ? lets face it any man who scores 3 goals in 3 different cup finals for any team anywhere deserves legend status.

Of our recent and current bunch i think you have to include JT and perhaps Lamps (Bolton away in Apr 05 is enough for me)

Early days yet but players who could earn that status in years to come include Cech, Essien, Carvalho* and maybe Drogs.

But like you say its all about opinion and thats what makes footy so f**king ace.

f**k me im hammered, and ive got to be up at 7am

Now Stevie Clarke however!!

yeah, why not ?

*just joking Just

yeah sorry loz, like ive said ive had a fair few and the missus is watching celebrity wifeswap so im on here

icon_surprised.gif

we all agree that chelsea & rangers are magic

Maybe we as fans can argue the toss, but I think the players who played with Marcel at Chelsea undoubtedly looked up to him and saw him as a legend. An inspiration. A Rock.

I hark back to Gelshenkirchen, but imagine yourself as a player that night. 53,000 Turks, German riot police, the hail of missiles. Remember Roman's aides got him out of the stadium early because they couldn't garauntee his safety.

The players walked out onto that pitch and you could sense the tension in them. But throughout the entire pre-match warm up there was Desailly. Walking round talking, cajoling, reassuring the whole team. I had never seen him so animated. But he had been there, done it and brought the t-shirt. He was getting them all in the right frame of mind. Concentrating on the job in hand. Blocking out the atmosphere. And then the way he played on the pitch. He never put one foot wrong all night. It was the perfect Captain's performance.

Ranieri had little to do with our victory that night. It was Marcel Desailly's.

For me he's not just one of Chelsea's greatest ever defenders. IMO he is one the greatest defenders ever to kick a football.

Peter Osgood

Ron Harris

Peter Bonetti

Charlie Cooke

Kerry Dixon

Dennis Wise

Gianfranco Zola

No Bobby Tambling shame on you BB

Well, I originally had him in my list - Bobby Tambling should probably be on there, but I thought I'd better not have too many players from that era. So Ossie, Chopper, Charlie and The Cat got the vote ahead of him.

Must admit, I saw Tambling play many times, but he was never one of my favourite players - maybe that's got something to do with it as well icon_redface.gificon_wink.gif

Can't take away his record though - 202 goals in a Chelsea shirt! Great stuff.

There are so many Chelsea players who I feel came close to being a legend, but just fell short. Loz mentioned Steve Clarke, and I very nearly added him to my list, along with the likes of Jimmy Greaves, Eddie McCreadie, Ian Hutchinson, David Webb, David Speedie, Pat Nevin, Eddie Niedzwieckie.....the list could go on and on. Even the Welsh nutters Joey Jones & Mickey Thomas came close, though they were only at Chelsea a short while icon_lol.gif

Very nice to look back over the years and remember just how many great players have sported the blue shirt of Chelsea though bow.gif::Scalf::

Maybe we as fans can argue the toss, but I think the players who played with Marcel at Chelsea undoubtedly looked up to him and saw him as a legend. An inspiration. A Rock.

I hark back to Gelshenkirchen, but imagine yourself as a player that night. 53,000 Turks, German riot police, the hail of missiles. Remember Roman's aides got him out of the stadium early because they couldn't garauntee his safety.

The players walked out onto that pitch and you could sense the tension in them. But throughout the entire pre-match warm up there was Desailly. Walking round talking, cajoling, reassuring the whole team. I had never seen him so animated. But he had been there, done it and brought the t-shirt. He was getting them all in the right frame of mind. Concentrating on the job in hand. Blocking out the atmosphere. And then the way he played on the pitch. He never put one foot wrong all night. It was the perfect Captain's performance.

Ranieri had little to do with our victory that night. It was Marcel Desailly's.

For me he's not just one of Chelsea's greatest ever defenders. IMO he is one the greatest defenders ever to kick a football.

Never a truer word spoken in regards to Desailly's presence in our team. I remember that night so vividly, it wasn't about Chelsea it was about the Turks and the English. Desailly played brilliantly that night, and forever should be remembered as one of the greatest defenders of all time.

I remember when he retired with us, there were people saying that the word "legend" was thrown around too easily, and should Desailly actually be considered in such terms.

My reply was something along the lines of "obso-fecking-lutely"

Scott

His best game for us was in the CL v AC Milan in the 0-0 at the Bridge. He was so good that night it did make me think he had another level of performance he could hit when he could raise himself, which has led to the widely held view that he didn't always give his all.

He was an incredible defender but he still wouldn't make my all-time Chelsea XI.

I think that The Rock was a key player (like Gullit and Hoddle) in the transformation of Chelsea to where they are now.

He was the first player we ever bought who was the "best in the world" at the time. Sure, we got him at the tail-end of his career, but some of those performances he put in in the Champion's League in particular were nothing short of amazing. And I will never forget that goal he scored against Everton to get us into the champion's league (his was the cruical one - not Gronkjaers).

If you look at JT today, it is obvious that he learnt a lot of his defensive technique from Desailly. But what is not so obvious, is that he learnt a huge amount about leadership from the great man.

Whether you want to call him a "great" or a "legend" is up to you, but if you ask me, there is a good chance that without Desailly, we would not be where we are now as a club - and that puts him right up there into the legend category for me.

marcel was fan-f*cking-tastic. a truly exceptional player IMO, and I thought he showed exactly that when he joined us, at his peak... sure, towards the end he was running out a bit, and less able (though not for the lack of effort) to play at a high level consistantly... but there were many highpoints.. he was a player who not only peformed in big games, but one of that rare breed that could up his game even more in those circumstances.

Marcel will go down as one of the worlds all time great players, In years to come people will talk about him much in the same way they talk about Platini now. He was class, and an abselute bargin at ?4.5m. Especially when you consider the week after we paid that for him Blackburn paid ?6m for that other potentiall world eleven allstar Christian Dailly. Perhaps there was a typo or something and the thought they were getting Desially.

Peter Kenyon could learn a few things from the way Colin Hutchinson conducted transfers. Not months of speculation, just a done deal and usually a very good one to.

Hoddle,Gullit,Vialli,Hughes and Laudrup all brought in on free's and players like Desially,Ferrera,Flo,Leboufe,Di Matteo and the legend that is Gianfranco Zola were great bit of business.

Although Hutchinson left a bit sharply,did he have his fingers in the till i wonder? even if he did he probably saved us millions.