Chelsea v Derby County August 1983.

erskblue
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

34 minutes ago, Ewell CFC said:

Went to Bananas a few times but don’t like Croydon. Does anyone like Croydon?

I certainly don't like the parking arrangements the few times I have been there in the 8 years to meet or travel it has been a pain and really expensive.

Guess the council are reshaping the area for their own aims. 

Chelsea 2-3 Grimsby Town

Sat 17th Dec 1983.

We were 2-0 up on the hour, yet lost the game !

Our scorers were: 'King' Kerry Dixon in the 26th min with a penalty and John, Bumstead in the 60th minute.

Very disappointing to say the least.

13,151 saw it at The Bridge.

We're still 2nd in Div 2

Next up is Shrewsbury away on Boxing Day, less than 24 hours later (!) we've got Portsmouth at The Bridge on the 27th with an 11.30am kick off.

17 hours ago, Richard P said:

Used to go to Cinderella’s back in the early 80s! Was 14 when I first got in, went with my sister’s who are 4 and 6 years older. Amazing what a shirt tie and jacket used to do for making you look older!

We used to go to the Cats Whiskers in Streatham. Free entry for whole group and bottle of fizz if one of the group had a birthday which we always made sure happened.

They used to restrict large groups of chaps, so we just used to pick up girls in a nearby pub on promise of free night out and then dump them once inside.

”Grab a Grot” was also a popular pastime there. Had to at least have one dance with ugliest sort you could find and then walk her past the rest of the chaps for judging. Ugliest one won the pot...

Edited by Shug

Went to Cinderella’s straight from football training one Thursday night October 87.

Drove a girl home after, had a kiss and a cuddle. It’s about 2 now and I’ve noticed starting to get windy. By the time I got home it’s blowing a gale but nothing out the ordinary.

Woke up about 7, opened the curtains, carnage outside.

It was the night of the hurricane!

11 hours ago, Shug said:

We used to go to the Cats Whiskers in Streatham. Free entry for whole group and bottle of fizz if one of the group had a birthday which we always made sure happened.

They used to restrict large groups of chaps, so we just used to pick up girls in a nearby pub on promise of free night out and then dump them once inside.

”Grab a Grot” was also a popular pastime there. Had to at least have one dance with ugliest sort you could find and then walk her past the rest of the chaps for judging. Ugliest one won the pot...

I was Born in streatham but it had changed name by 1985 when I first went there.

11 minutes ago, Richard P said:

I was Born in streatham but it had changed name by 1985 when I first went there.

Feeling old now, we used to go there late 70s / early 80s, were late teens /early twenties and invincible. 

Until we somehow, one night after playing 5 a side football in East Ham, ended up in a bit of a dodgy pub without realising half the ICF had walked in. Luckily I knew a couple of their younger chaps from college (I did day release at East Ham tech) and we drank up quickly and walked. 

Those were the days, also used to hit the Hammersmith Palais occasionally and spent half the evening looking for or avoiding the chaps from Q P Ha, depending on who had more there (normally Chels as they didn’t really travel well even to Hammersmith).

Edited by Shug

On ?17?/?12?/?2018 at 07:30, erskblue said:

Chelsea 2-3 Grimsby Town

Sat 17th Dec 1983.

We were 2-0 up on the hour, yet lost the game !

Our scorers were: 'King' Kerry Dixon in the 26th min with a penalty and John, Bumstead in the 60th minute.

Very disappointing to say the least.

13,151 saw it at The Bridge.

We're still 2nd in Div 2

Next up is Shrewsbury away on Boxing Day, less than 24 hours later (!) we've got Portsmouth at The Bridge on the 27th with an 11.30am kick off.

Less than 24 hours between kick offs.

Can you imagine the reaction of players and coaches alike, if this was the case in todays game !

Shrewsbury Town 2-4 Chelsea

Monday, 26th December 1983 at 15:00.

Back to winning ways.:biggrin:

Our scorers that Boxing Day 35 years (!) ago were : King Kerry Dixon with a 64th min pen. Then David Speedie in the 71st and Johnny Bumstead with two quick goals in the 81st and 84th minutes.

Watched by 7,582.

We are second in Division. 2.

Next up and it's a game tomorrow, 27th December is Portsmouth at the Bridge with an 11.30am kick off !

https://sabotagetimes.com/football/all-chelsea-fans-must-see-this-lost-collection-of-blues-memorabilia

Controversy surrounded the red trim on the first Le Coq Sportif shirt of 1981/82, and the idea of hoops wasn’t met with universal acclaim when the next change came in 1983 – but the memories of the likes of Pat Nevin and Kerry Dixon in this kit are now mostly golden. 

le coq graphic cfc.jpg

We didn’t go to that rabbit hutch ground in W12  Boxing Day 83-84,  but loved it when we did in years before.

You’d expect there to be sod all on the roads but one year remember being stuck in nightmare traffic off Shepherds Bush Green- one of those stick in your head moments- we were listening to JFM one of the pirate soul stations and Tania Maria Come with Me was playing.

The protest paint on the plastic pitch- Garry Waddock always got grief from us for some reason-  got properly Garry Waddocked Xmas Eve as it goes!

Always as many Chelsea as Rangers. Saying that the biggest turnout at the Lego Stadium I remember was in the Cup Replay 96. Hardly saw a QPR fan all night.

Just found some prices for that replica top and tracksuit.

Home and away tops: Youths, Medium, Large and X Large men cost £12.99.

Tracksuits for Youths cost £17.99. With Medium, Large and X Large Mens Tracksuits costing £21.99

From M.C. Sports in Leicester.

Not able to post the actual advert !

Chelsea 2-2 Portsmouth.

It was 2-2 at Half Time.

Tuesday, 27th December 1983 at 11:30 at The Bridge. Less than 24 hours after the Final Whistle sounded at Shrewsbury, we were kicking off at The Bridge !

Our scorers were: Paul Canoville in the 6th minute and King Kerry Dixon in the 39th .

They scored through Mark Hateley 4, Dillon 11 (Pen)

King Kerry Dixon missed two penalties that day !  One being saved by the Portsmouth keeper and he hit the bar with another.

25,409 saw the action.

Next up is Brighton at The Bridge on Saturday, 31st December 1983 with another 11:30 kick off.