Mats Hummels

just

Several reports in the press today that we have approached Bayern Munich and been quoted £30 million for centre-half Mats Hummels. It says we have been given a deadline of 14th January to make a formal offer to allow them time to find a replacement.

Forgive me if I'm missing something here but it makes precisely zero sense to me. He's 30+. What would we offer him, a one-year deal? Giroud made sense to get at that age because we had a hole up top at the time, but even he as a new signing was subject to the policy which ok, we bent slightly by giving him 18 months, but standard practice for a new buy is much longer than that (and strictly speaking we didn't offer him an extension as his Arsenal contract had 18-months to run, so we essentially took it over).

And as for adding a CB: we're actively trying to shift Cahill, trying to keep hold of Christensen, trying to get Luiz to agree a one-year extension... in what universe does a nearly over-the-hill Hummels fit into that picture. If Luiz is on the chopping block because of age you're hardly going to replace him with a player who would be in the exact same situation.

I'm vary wary of anything originating from The Sun, who seem to just make stuff up on a regular basis. More inclined to believe Rummenigge's quotes from a week or so ago saying he's staying put.

We had a conversation with Mats a few days ago and he will play for Bayern Munich in the second half of the season,

Also Bayern's sporting director Salihamidzic  for good measure.

We talked to Mats, it was a good conversation," he said. "Mats feels very well in Munich, and if a player does not always play, it's clear that there are discussions. Mats wanted to talk to us. We explained our point of view to him and he explained his point of view. I think that we came to a common denominator.

Story is across several sources today with some specific details included which leads me to think this is genuine.

IMO we need a consistent centre-back to play alongside Rudiger. I wouldn't be against taking  gamble on Hummels despite his age.

6 hours ago, just said:

Story is across several sources today with some specific details included which leads me to think this is genuine.

IMO we need a consistent centre-back to play alongside Rudiger. I wouldn't be against taking  gamble on Hummels despite his age.

He is crap now though, wouldn’t touch him. And how much experience do you need in the back line? Azpi, Rudiger & Alonso? Aren’t kids.

Archived