Sheff Utd v Chelsea (PL) Sun 7th Feb 2021 19:15 GMT

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

18 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Have to say thought that was a great and well-timed tackle.

Too much of that missing from the modern game.

Think it was the follow-through more than the actual tackle, that seemed to take the ball.

9 hours ago, Spiller86 said:

Perhaps I am more critical of him than others. For me it is the lack of physicality and a slightly passive approach that bothers me and I think creates uncertainty in other defenders. He doesn't take control of the situation often enough and is too reactive. The early shot (I think it was Norwood) is a good example. Be active and take control and show him down the line. Instead Christensen just sort of stands there in no man's land and lets him play the ball inside him, neither making a challenge or really having any impact on the attackers decision. Same at end with Sharp. Stick your head in there. Don't let him have the space to bicycle it while you turn your head away.  All our best defenders recently (and I include Gary Cahill in this) aren't letting him get that shot away on target.

Again, confirmation bias most probably. Because you're convinced he's not good enough, you only notice actions supporting your opinion while disregarding the things he does well. Btw, have considered the opportunity costs of him making that challenge? Maybe he sees dangers that you do not? 

3 hours ago, Ph.c. said:

Again, confirmation bias most probably. Because you're convinced he's not good enough, you only notice actions supporting your opinion while disregarding the things he does well. Btw, have considered the opportunity costs of him making that challenge? Maybe he sees dangers that you do not? 

Possibly. I've always said that he'd be a good defender in a less physical league where you can be more reactive and still win a challenge. I think in a top physical league he is quite passive as a defender and lets strikers do as they would without pressuring and shaping the play enough.

Those two incidents demonstrate that, first one probably better than the second one. He neither aims to show him down the line or block the passing lane he just sort of stands there in no man's land. I'm not saying jump in rashly David Luiz style, but at least close down an option and force the striker to make the decision you want.

I think he was largely serviceable but to say he had a good game is a bridge too far. We certainly wouldn't be saying that had Norwood taken that early chance.

20 hours ago, dkw said:

I think it's a horrible cowards tackle, he went through Kovacic after the ball and knew exactly what he was doing.

Had plenty like that back in the day. Take the ball and whatever else happens to be in the way. As long as you get the ball first....................

I know, different times and all that but I love that sort of tackle.

3 minutes ago, Nibs said:

Had plenty like that back in the day. Take the ball and whatever else happens to be in the way. As long as you get the ball first....................

I know, different times and all that but I love that sort of tackle.

Or as Chopper would say "whatever happens to be in the way."  I played left-back sometimes as well ? happy days.