January Transfer Window

axman2526
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

This is going to be our most important January transfer window in a long, long time. Perhaps most important ever.

The biggest thing for me is that Todd has all of Laurence Sterwart, Paul Winstanley, Joe Shields and Christopher Vivell available to him to work with Potter and his recruitment guy to make sure we NEVER, EVER have a window like this summer again. The damage in wages and length of contracts handed out will long be felt imo.

So I am making this thread not to cover speculation transfers but rather to see who shed end members want to see us sign, who we think is realistic and what positions we need to cover.

For me we have a few very pressing concerns:

1. An alternative rightwingback to Reece James.

2. A central midfielder who is physical, has a defensive brain and an excellent work ethic.

3. A central midfielder with good technique, a range of passing and an eye to create a chance.

4. Two new support players for our main striker.

5. A new striker who will be a goal threat and work hard for the team.

6. Another central defender as we have been left short.

Long list and I don't watch enough other teams to make the best suggestions but here is what I would suggest.

1. Tariq Lamptey is not playing for Brighton and Potter knows him. Depending on his price there is also the recall clause for Tino Livramento.

2. I don't know know who best to suggest for this.

3. Same as above. I like Sander Berge at Sheffield United as he reminds me of Gus Poyet but, unlike Ndiaye, I am not convinced he has what it takes at the level we are aiming for.

4. With his contract set to expire I would take Wilfred Zaha and would also suggest Sheffield Uniteds Illiman Ndiaye is looking a very talented player.

5. Biggest expense probably here, but I would like to see Ivan Toney come in.

6. Recall Levi Colwill.

I also agree on the importance of the transfer window.

Lamptey has had a number of injuries so would pass on him.

We need someone besides James that can deliver good crosses form the right.

I also think we need a mobile enforcer in midfield.

We might also add a midfielder with a good range of passing though we seem to need better players in a number of positions and with FFP think we will struggle to get more than two players as I can't see us unloading any. 

Not keen on Zaha now, Toney has been mentioned a lot in relation to England though not sure, I noticed yesterday he had a tap-in the skill was in the assist. 

I think Auba will start scoring again if we get good delivery from the right side. 

9 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Still think Koulibaly will come good as well. 

Neves, Enzo, Caicedo, and Lavia are the CMs Simon Phillips is saying we are interested in. 

On paper the latter two are perfect Jorgi/Kante succesors but i worry it's a bit too young of a midfield, one plus an older (25+) head maybe but both? Even Arsenal have plumped for experience in that area.

Edited by Argo

36 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Still think Koulibaly will come good as well. 

Neves, Enzo, Caicedo, and Lavia are the CMs Simon Phillips is saying we are interested in. 

Interesting. Neves would be too old and expensive imo.

Not sure who Enzo is.

Lavia seems a top priority.

Caicedo seems just a lazy link.

54 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Love your optimism Argo. Is tempered by how highly you rate CHO though... 😉

I just say it how i see it. I called Lukaku as a misfit before a ball was kicked and that Saul as out of his depth within half an hour.

I think all of them bar the two i mentioned will become good/big players for us.

Edited by Argo

22 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Ruben Neves is 25. 

Enzo Fernandez of Benfica. 

What seriously he is only 25? He has been around for ages and looks 40 at least. Fair enough.

I do remember when we were linked to him last a few saying he is slower than Jorginho so that would still be an issue if so.

On Enzo Benfica have looked good this season, given Nunes went for 100mill 9 doubt he would be cheap. None of them would be.

17 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

If there's a deal we couldn't finish last window, try to wrap it up ,e.g. a central midfielder . However, happy with no new addition, since new arrivals in January will just give Potter more things to juggle.

Cleaning Solutions DM Alvarez is apparently the one we are back for.

14 minutes ago, Argo said:

I just sat it how i see it. I called Lukaku as a misfit before a ball was kicked and that Saul as out of his depth within half an hour.

I think all of them bar the two i mentioned will become good/big players for us.

A fair few of of us felt the same about Lukaku and Saul. Hopefully you are right on the other signings not being massive wastes of space but imo, aside from Carney and Casadei who hopefully develop, the only hope is Fofana and i have my doubts if he will reach his potential with his injury issues.

Auba and Koulibaly are washed up, as you have called. Sterling looked good in Peps side but for me is just an English Timo with slightly better technique and Cucurella is just a really average footballer, just another Emerson.

Edited by axman2526

3 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

What seriously he is only 25? He has been around for ages and looks 40 at least. Fair enough.

I do remember when we were linked to him last a few saying he is slower than Jorginho so that would still be an issue if so.

On Enzo Benfica have looked good this season, given Nunes went for 100mill 9 doubt he would be cheap. None of them would be.

Probably because he first burst to the scene at 17 captaining Porto in the Champions League. 

Enzo seems like a summer option. 

I'm going a slightly different route and proposing/wondering how will we react when Boehly come January tries to sign Ronaldo again? 😂

It's obvious he'll leave in the winter window and with Boehly the only one that's shown any interest this could be one of the main determining factors of why he wanted Potter over Tuchel. Staying away from that debate though, if CR7 has a good world cup would people take him here for a 6 month loan?

It could get toxic real quick, we know he's no cake walk but the guy knows how to score goals and we don't have many of them right now. Personnally I don't think it's the best idea but with the lack of goals, I can see how Todd will consider this avenue again once Mendes starts dangling the carrot.

Ideally I'd rather we sign loads of young up and comers that nobody really knows. Yet until the summer or when we have a proper dof I suspect we will continue to sign superstars which make Chelsea an even more  attractive product to the American market.

Dont see much happening in January. 

I think the club will hold off on a right back until the summer and assess the Livramento buy back.

Same with centre back, Thiago Silva moves on in the summer, Colwill looking good at Brighton and Gvardiol a summer option. 

Midfield again I think Kante and Jorginho's contract situation will mean we probably wait until the summer. 

Nkunku looks like deal lined up for the summer in attack, and I think we would have to move on at least one of Pulisic or Ziyech to make room for an incoming before then.

So not expecting much unless a major opportunity presents itself.

Expecting another big summer though, with 6 or 7 out, and at least 5 coming in.

Gotta ask:

Which players better than our current ones are going to be 1) available, 2) affordable and 3) willing  to join Chelsea in its current state?

there’s always this grass-is-greener mentality. It’s not just all those players at other clubs. When Gallagher was on loan, he was going to be our saviour as soon as he came back… then he actually started playing and 🤷‍♂️ . RLC, as long as he was injured, was going to sort out our midfield, bring the physical presence we were lacking and goals too. Well?

now I keep seeing stuff about how we need to ship out “deadwood like Kova”. Anyone who thinks we’re going to find a better midfielder - I’ve got a bridge to sell you.

I think nothing will happen in January. Beyond that just doesn’t bear thinking about.

My fear is we’re going to get part of what everyone wishes for: namely most of our current players gone by next season. But they will all be badly missed.