Homegrown Players, 25 Man Squad and FFP for 23/24

Big Nigel
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

As per the FA rules, we are only allowed a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players in the team. In a 23 man squad, we can use 6 homegrown players, or in a 25 man team we'll need 8. We are already planning on a mass exodus in the summer to cut down on this huge squad size but who do you think makes the cut and adheres to the premier league and UEFA rules of only having 17 non-homegrown players? And who of the current squad are we selling as well to help with FFP? 

Keepers - Kepa, Slolina, Cumming

Defenders - Badiashille, Silva, Chilwell, James, Koulibaly, Colwill, Cucurella, Fofana, Gusto

Midfielders - Enzo, Kovacic, Carney, Hall, 2 new midfielders? 

Forwards - Felix, Nkunku, Mudryk, Sterling, Fofana, Madueke, Havertz

Sell: Mendy(10m), Bettinelli(Free), Chalobah(30m), Azpi(5m), Kante(Free), RLC(5m), Mount(50m), Gallagher(40m), Zakaria(loan return), Auba(5m), Pulisic(30m), Broja(30m), Ziyech(20m)

Total: Around 220m (havent even taken into account loaned players like Lukaku, Sarr, Ampadu etc which can raise total even higher) 

This is just a rough draft, assuming we sign 2 new midfielders as well. 17 homegrown players and 8 homegrowns in there. Seems we can quite easily meet the quotas as long we are heavy on the selling of players and get rid of all the deadwood. We are also in a good position to sell a lot of homegrown talent that won't make it here, and they go down as pure profit in terms of FFP which helps us massively.

Looking at the way the squad is currently, I think we are very close to having an elite squad that can compete on all fronts!

7 minutes ago, Big Nigel said:

As per the FA rules, we are only allowed a maximum of 17 non-homegrown players in the team. In a 23 man squad, we can use 6 homegrown players, or in a 25 man team we'll need 8. We are already planning on a mass exodus in the summer to cut down on this huge squad size but who do you think makes the cut and adheres to the premier league and UEFA rules of only having 17 non-homegrown players? And who of the current squad are we selling as well to help with FFP? 

Defenders - Badiashille, Silva, Chilwell, James, Koulibaly, Colwill, Cucurella, Fofana, Gusto

Sell: Mendy(10m), Bettinelli(Free), Chalobah(30m), Azpi(5m), Kante(Free), RLC(5m), Mount(50m), Gallagher(40m), Zakaria(loan return), Auba(5m), Pulisic(30m), Broja(30m), Ziyech(20m)

Total: Around 220m (havent even taken into account loaned players like Lukaku, Sarr, Ampadu etc which can raise total even higher) 

This is just a rough draft, assuming we sign 2 new midfielders as well. 17 homegrown players and 8 homegrowns in there. Seems we can quite easily meet the quotas as long we are heavy on the selling of players and get rid of all the deadwood. We are also in a good position to sell a lot of homegrown talent that won't make it here, and they go down as pure profit in terms of FFP which helps us massively.

Looking at the way the squad is currently, I think we are very close to having an elite squad that can compete on all fronts!

We need to and we will have a big clear out, problem is who's going to take players that are on ridiculous wages, like who ever thought paying £100m for that f**king donkey lukaku and giving him obsene wages ? We are stuck with him.

Just now, Kev56 said:

We need to and we will have a big clear out, problem is who's going to take players that are on ridiculous wages, like who ever thought paying £100m for that f**king donkey lukaku and giving him obsene wages ? We are stuck with him.

in all fairness we dont have too many players that are on ridiculous wages anymore, only a few that are still left from the marina regime. Some players are also willing to take a pay cut to go somewhere they are happier. Lukaku is on stupid wages, but he actually took a pay cut to be back at inter. I know they dont want him anymore, but if another club of similar stature comes along, I think he would be somewhat willing to take another pay cut to move. 

Koulibaly is another that there were rumours he wanted to move back to Italy, and he would have been willing to take the pay cut as well but after his recent performances i think he will end up staying.

20 hours ago, Big Nigel said:

in all fairness we dont have too many players that are on ridiculous wages anymore, only a few that are still left from the marina regime. Some players are also willing to take a pay cut to go somewhere they are happier. Lukaku is on stupid wages, but he actually took a pay cut to be back at inter. I know they dont want him anymore, but if another club of similar stature comes along, I think he would be somewhat willing to take another pay cut to move. 

Koulibaly is another that there were rumours he wanted to move back to Italy, and he would have been willing to take the pay cut as well but after his recent performances i think he will end up staying.

I do'nt think anyone will take lukaku even for 30 bob a week. :sad:

11 hours ago, KonaKai Blue said:

If Lukaku stays next season and knuckles down, I am certain we will get top 4. We will have fast wingers that run beside him and at the end of the day he's still a goal scorer and miles better than Havertz up top.

The way Havertz has been linking up with our other players recently has been good, I would rather keep him than go back to lukaku even if he scores a few less goals. The team will be worse with lukaku

On 16/03/2023 at 12:32, Big Nigel said:

I can't see Pulisoc mentioned anywhere yet would expect to see him move though guess it will be a low resale fee, also think Kova might move on.

Could see us paying a  lot for Rice. 

1 hour ago, Big Nigel said:

The way Havertz has been linking up with our other players recently has been good, I would rather keep him than go back to lukaku even if he scores a few less goals. The team will be worse with lukaku

It's truly amazing how many are forgetting just how bad Lukaku is, as a footballer and a fit to our system and that's before getting into his destructive ego.

I'd somewhat get it if he was banging in the goals for Inter but he's got even worse, the mind boggles.

1 hour ago, strider6004 said:

I can't see Pulisoc mentioned anywhere yet would expect to see him move though guess it will be a low resale fee, also think Kova might move on.

Could see us paying a  lot for Rice. 

I put him in the sell list, 3rd from the end. 30m for him and I think thats decent enough

Not a fan of Rice. 

59 minutes ago, Argo said:

It's truly amazing how many are forgetting just how bad Lukaku is, as a footballer and a fit to our system and that's before getting into his destructive ego.

I'd somewhat get it if he was banging in the goals for Inter but he's got even worse, the mind boggles.

Hes not a good player at all, and I was definitely in the minority when it was rumoured we were going to get him before for 97m. I remember so many people telling me hes changed and improved as a player, but they really couldnt see how bad he still was. Just because he had some success scoring goals in a weak league wasnt going to translate into the prem.

If people actually watched him play they would have seen how bad his first touch still was and just not a good player at all. Truly baffling how he always has such a high pricetag with his name

3 GK:  New #1 ; Slonina ; Bergstrom

9 DEF:  James, Gusto ; Thiago Silva, W.Fofana, Chalobah, Badiashile, Colwill ; Cucurella, Chilwell

6 MID:  New DM 6' plus tall ; Fernandez, Kovacic, Kante, Santos, Loftus-Cheek (useful in the squad as a utility player),

4 WINGERS :  Sterling, Madueke ; Mudryk, Hudson-Odoi (a bit of a gamble I know, but I think he's worth one final chance as back up to Mudryk at LW)

4 FWDS :  Felix (Atletico) ; Havertz, Nkunku (Leipzig), Goncalo Ramos (Benfica)

Bold = homegrown (9)

7 PL LOAN: Casadei, Maatsen, Hall, D.Fofana, Broja, Chukwuemeka, Hutchinson

28 SELL: 

10 First Team Squad Arrizabalaga, Mendy, Bettinelli, Azpilicueta, Koulibaly, Gallagher, Mount, Aubameyang, Pulisic, Ziyech,

18 Loan Army: Lukaku, Bakayoko, Rahman, Ampadu, Sarr, Vale, Baxter, Cumming, Wady, Anjorin, Lawrence, Fiabema, D.Sterling, Haigh, Humphreys, Sharman-Lowe, Beach, McClelland.

1 LOAN RETURN : Zakaria

Edited by Sexyfootball

16 minutes ago, Big Nigel said:

I put him in the sell list, 3rd from the end. 30m for him and I think thats decent enough

Not a fan of Rice. 

So you did and I missed it, 30m would be great for a such an injury prone attacking player though don't see it happening.

I'm not great on Rice either yet think he will come here. 

27 minutes ago, Big Nigel said:

Hes not a good player at all, and I was definitely in the minority when it was rumoured we were going to get him before for 97m. I remember so many people telling me hes changed and improved as a player, but they really couldnt see how bad he still was. Just because he had some success scoring goals in a weak league wasnt going to translate into the prem.

If people actually watched him play they would have seen how bad his first touch still was and just not a good player at all. Truly baffling how he always has such a high pricetag with his name

It was always a major major reach and that's putting it kindly, the scope for players improving as they get older is more for the tactical and mental elements of the game. If you can't control a ball properly at 10 you won't suddenly be able to do it at 29 either, natural talent is either there or it's not.

It will always baffle me how anyone could have looked at Tuchel's system (of his first 6 months) of high pressing, good combination play and fluid movement and came to the conclusion adding this guy to the mix was a good idea, and don't even get me started on anyone who doubled down and blamed the "service" to him when he was struggling/couldn't be bothered to even get into double figure touches a game.

Edited by Argo

22 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

9 DEF:  James, Gusto ; Thiago Silva, W.Fofana, Chalobah, Badiashile, Colwill ; Cucurella, Chilwell

6 MID:  New DM 6' plus tall ; Fernandez, Kovacic, Kante, Santos, Loftus-Cheek (useful in the squad as a utility player),

4 WINGERS :  Sterling, Madueke ; Mudryk, Hudson-Odoi (a bit of a gamble I know, but I think he's worth one final chance as back up to Mudryk at LW)

I'd sell CHO. Use Carney instead. 

Otherwise that would be mine as well. 

2 hours ago, Argo said:

It was always a major major reach and that's putting it kindly, the scope for players improving as they get older is more for the tactical and mental elements of the game. If you can't control a ball properly at 10 you won't suddenly be able to do it at 29 either, natural talent is either there or it's not.

It will always baffle me how anyone could have looked at Tuchel's system (of his first 6 months) of high pressing, good combination play and fluid movement and came to the conclusion adding this guy to the mix was a good idea, and don't even get me started on anyone who doubled down and blamed the "service" to him when he was struggling/couldn't be bothered to even get into double figure touches a game.

Exactly, just found it weird that people thought he'd suddenly massively changed after 1 year at Inter. This is why its crucial when scouting or judging players to actually watch them play and not just base it off of stats. The service argument was also very weak in my eyes, unless you are haaland and an absolute machine in the box that will score with almost every touch in the box, you cant just sit there and wait all game for the ball to come to your feet. Even when we did try that on occasion, his touches and finishing was utter crap and ended up missing so many easy chances.

2 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Bold = homegrown (9)

7 PL LOAN: Casadei, Maatsen, Hall, D.Fofana, Broja, Chukwuemeka, Hutchinson

28 SELL: 

10 First Team Squad Arrizabalaga, Mendy, Bettinelli, Azpilicueta, Koulibaly, Gallagher, Mount, Aubameyang, Pulisic, Ziyech,

18 Loan Army: Lukaku, Bakayoko, Rahman, Ampadu, Sarr, Vale, Baxter, Cumming, Wady, Anjorin, Lawrence, Fiabema, D.Sterling, Haigh, Humphreys, Sharman-Lowe, Beach, McClelland.

1 LOAN RETURN : Zakaria

Impressive squad, one which most people would be happy with!

Only slight changes I would make are that I would sell RLC and CHO as I think their times are truly up now, I was a big CHO fan and really thought going into the bundesliga this season would help kickstart his career again, but he has just not been good there at all, injury really finished him which is sad. Plus a backup to Mudryk at LW can be Felix anyway. Kante I would also release as he's too injury prone and not the same player he was as a few years ago.

Santos I think needs a loan at a prem/championship club once his work permit has come through, but instead would sign one extra midfielder of the many good midfielders we are linked with at the moment (Lavia, Kone, Caqueret etc) - so we have 2 new midfielders

Would also sell Broja as personally dont think hes good enough, but would promote Charlie Webster and Ben Elliot and loan them out to prem/championship clubs as well. Only position I am still undecided on is our striker. Havertz is okay there, at least at times and Nkunku/Felix can both play there as well, but if we need a pure 9 then im not sure who I fancy at the moment

It is quite hard to decide on who to keep.

CHO can score the odd goal and also create an assist as well as play wide back yet more often than not underwhelms.

RLC has played  a number of positions in midfield and never really nailed one and when we talk of utility players never in the same category of say Milner at Liverpool. 

Sterling is becoming more injury prone yet is a goal threat. 

It might come down to what offers we get.

1 hour ago, strider6004 said:

It might come down to what offers we get.

^^^^ THIS

To get down to a sensible squad size, we are going to need a lot of players to move on, yet is anyone actually going to be interested in the ones we want to shift ? Some of these we've been stuck with for years already, others are on mega money deals that they won't get elsewhere so why would they leave ? I can see more than a few write-offs being done ... 

Edited by Sexyfootball

9 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

I'd sell CHO. Use Carney instead. 

Otherwise that would be mine as well. 

I agree, since the Achilles setback he's not as quick as he used to be and he doesn't have that John Robertson 'wiliness' about him to beat his man either 

13 hours ago, Argo said:

This should jog peoples memory: Romelu Lukaku had seven touches against Crystal Palace, the fewest in a single Premier League game for a player with 90+ minutes played since this data is available in full for the competition (2003-04). One of those touches was from kick-off in the first half.