Drogba wants to stay put at Chelsea?

kalpitv

Drogba: Inter? Not For Today

As soon as Jose Mourinho was unceramoniously shown the door at Stamford Bridge in October, no one amidst the Chelsea troops seemed to take it quite as hard as Drogba.

The Ivorian was particularly attached the Portuguese coach, and there have since been innumerous rumours linking him with whichever club the self-proclaimed Special One next chooses to manage.

Milan, Barcelona and Real Madrid have all been mentioned on a regular basis, the the recent frontrunners for the player's signature - at least according to much of the press - are Internazionale.

After Roberto Mancini's faux-resignation on the back of their Champions League exit at the hands of Liverpool, rumours have been rife that the former Italian international is going to be replaced this summer, despite guiding them to what is almost certain to be consecutive league titles.

That's where Mourinho comes in, and Drogba is rumoured to follow. However, the outspoken striker who first revealed his desire to leave to France Football several months ago, has now seemingly backtracked on what many had already set in stone as a summer departure.

His change of heart may have come off the back of the Blues' incredibly strong end to the season and, should they claim the league, the Champions League, or incredibly, both, we may see the former Marseille man stay with Avram Grant and company for a few more years yet.

"People are sending me everywhere, but I still have two years on my contract," he said. "I only have the end of the season with Chelsea on my mind.

"Stories I am going to Inter with Jose Mourinho? I know, I know. It's very flattering, but not for today."

I don't understand what he wants, probably silverware will be able to keep him at Chelsea. But, I also feel that at this age a failure to adjust to a new league and country would put his career in doubt and he doesn't want to risk it. 317.gif

I think he's just saying that he doesn't want to talk about it and that for today, he is fully focused on Chelsea (especially now as we can make 'istory) and winning trophies. If he goes he is probably the biggest loss CFC ever had in their 103 odd years, but if wants to go.

That said, you never know with football.

Unless he is legally able to buy out the remainder of his contract, I think Chelsea should insist that he remains for the last two years of his contract, even if he is left to rot in the reserves.

This is a CRITICAL decision for Chelsea. If we are to achieve our ambition of being the best team in the world, we cannot allow other clubs to pick and choose our best players, when they are under contract to Chelsea. We must be a buying and not a selling club.

I know that this would cost Chelsea a lot of money in Drogba's case but in the long term the rewards are massive if we can demonstrate that Chelsea players are the "untouchables" and that moving to Real Madrid, Inter or Barca is NOT an upward step in a player's career. We want to reach the stage of contracted players leaving Chelsea ONLY when the club wishes them to go.

If he goes he is probably the biggest loss CFC ever had in their 103 odd years, but if wants to go.

Loss - it'll be a god send - diving twat - sorry last nights goals don't change a thing in my book.

BTW the way the biggest loss at Chelsea was selling Greaves and Ossie and Drogba should never be mentioned in the same breath as those two.

If he goes he is probably the biggest loss CFC ever had in their 103 odd years, but if wants to go.

Loss - it'll be a god send - diving tw*t - sorry last nights goals don't change a thing in my book.

BTW the way the biggest loss at Chelsea was selling Greaves and Ossie and Drogba should never be mentioned in the same breath as those two.

Fair enough, I never saw Osgood or Greaves live (thats l-eye-ve, Sky Sports live, not life live... erugh) so I can't comment. It's just he has scored in all our cup finals he's played in so far, another one and well... we'll see.

i don't think the quotes changed a thing. it's just that over the last several months, for whatever reason, Drogs has kept his gob shut about wanting to leave the club and has instead focused his comments on the present moment. someone with some sense reached him and told him to stop yapping about leaving, as it would hurt Chelsea's ability to negotiate a fair transfer for him and probably would affect his weekly wages (and maybe his reputation), and he took it to heart.

nowhere in that article, nor elsewhere in any other interview he has given in the past year, has he said "I want to stay at Chelsea next season."

his loss will be big, but replaceable, especially if we shift to a different system. drogs is not well-suited for a free-flowing attacking offensive lineup, as he is at his best as a single point person leading the attack, holding the ball up, using his power. he looks a mess when he tries to carry the ball for any distance at all. as an example, imagine him at Arsenal this year, switching places with Adebeyor. not saying he's a better footballer than Drogs, far from it, but he fits their system better because he's a slashing attacking dribbling forward. if we are truly going to move to a different model next year that incorporates a more sophisticated and "attractive" attack, the loss of Drogs won't be as bad as it seems now. (that being said, deploying Sheva in a withdrawn striker role much like he played at Milan might actually be successful in such a system. hell, Pizarro might even look better.)

Found this in the Guardian today:

Didier Drogba was the last man off the pitch, having reversed his shirt so that his name and number were on the front while he danced in celebration of the two goals that had helped put Chelsea, after failures at this stage in three of the previous four years, into the European Cup final at last.

On the morning of the match he had given an interview in which he left little doubt of his plans to leave London during the summer, perhaps for a reunion with Jose Mourinho, or for Real Madrid, but this composed, concentrated and utterly committed performance looked very much like that of a man intent on leaving his supporters of the past four years with the fondest of memories.

Anyone know what interview this was? Haven't read it myself.

I'm sure Drogs will be off in the summer. His mind's made up, and as Vialli said the other weeks, it seems the deal is already done. I hope we get a massive fee for him.

when he plays like he did last night you wish he would stay, but we have rafa to thank for that...liked his celebrations last night, looked like he really gave a sh*t, which hasn't always been obvious this season...I still think he will go and it will be in chelsea's benefit in the long run...he has been brilliant for chelsea, but we need to move on, he's 30, time to cash in now, like milan did with sheva and arse did with henry

although he was fantastic last night, he has spent most of this season engineering a way out of the club. id rather have players who wanna play for the club over players who play for themselves. if we win a trophy or 2 this season then ill be as happy as anyone with the part drogba has played. but if he goes, then he goes. we sign someone else and we move on.

He was fantastic last night. He was fantastic against ManU on Saturday. He was fantastic against Arsenal. He is fantastic full stop. The best in the world. Have we ever had a more consistent big game player?

Consider this. A huge number of Chelsea fans hate Drogba. Why?

Falls down too easily at times? Yep, guess he does.

Whinges too much too match officials? Yep, seen him do that.

Has too much to say to the media? Christ, yes. Wish he would just keep schtum.

Has made it clear he wants to leave Chelsea. Unfortunately, yes. This is true.

Are all the above reasons to hate/despise him?

Consider this. A huge number of Chelsea fans absolutely worshipped Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Why?

Fell down too easily at times? ............. icon_eek.gif He invented falling over.

Whinged too much too match officials? Yep, Not many Benny.

Had too much to say to the media? Yep. Everytime he went back to Holland. Wish he would just have kept schtum.

Had made it clear he wanted to leave Chelsea. Yes. This is true. He would have pulled on armbands and swum to Barcelona.

Do you know, in a way it would be good to have a Jimmy-type clone back. Wandering around the pitch. Limited ability. Not being arsed to run for any ball more than 5 yards away. Never winning a header. Never tracking back. Moaning at his own team mates. Back to a few seasons of no silverware.

Maybe a few would start to appreciate Drogba and his sheer quality.

PS. For those comparing Drogba to Sheva, and saying his best years are behind him, can I just say, IMO, you are well wide of the mark. One of Sheva's main assets was his pace. When that pace is gone, (as it is in Sheva's case), it never returns. Drogba has never had Sheva pace. The Drog's principle assets are his awesome physical prescence and his work ethic. Neither of which look to be in the slightest decline.

He was fantastic last night. He was fantastic against ManU on Saturday. He was fantastic against Arsenal. He is fantastic full stop. The best in the world. Have we ever had a more consistent big game player?

Consider this. A huge number of Chelsea fans hate Drogba. Why?

Falls down too easily at times? Yep, guess he does.

Whinges too much too match officials? Yep, seen him do that.

Has too much to say to the media? Christ, yes. Wish he would just keep schtum.

Has made it clear he wants to leave Chelsea. Unfortunately, yes. This is true.

Are all the above reasons to hate/despise him?

Consider this. A huge number of Chelsea fans absolutely worshipped Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink. Why?

Fell down too easily at times? icon_eek.gif .

Whinged too much too match officials? Yep, Not many Benny.

Had too much to say to the media? Yep. Everytime he went back to Holland. Wish he would just have kept schtum.

Had made it clear he wanted to leave Chelsea. Yes. This is true. He would have pulled on armbands and swum to Barcelona.

Do you know, in a way it would be good to have a Jimmy-type clone back. Wandering around the pitch. Limited ability. Not being arsed to run for any ball more than 5 yards away. Never winning a header. Never tracking back. Moaning at his own team mates. Back to a few seasons of no silverware.

Maybe a few would start to appreciate Drogba and his sheer quality.

Excellent post - He's scored in every final he's played in for us and is, thanks to last night, our highest European goal scorer, EVER.

He's been a great players for us, especially in big games, if he leaves in the summer, which is going to happen, he'll get a BIG thank you from me. Some of his goals have sent me to another zone, the one in the final against Arsenal and especially the one last night.

i agree that he is possibly the best forward in world football at the moment. and as i said, if or when he leaves im sure most right minded chelsea fans will be thankful for what hes done for the club. but id rather have a player who whole heartedly wants to play for us, than one who is in two minds. i really do think drogba isnt sure what he wants himself. i think he has a love for the club and the fans, but he probably always wanted to experience italian/spanish football and i wouldnt begrudge him giving it a go elsewhere. good luck to him whatever he does.

my take on the qote "not for today" simply means he does not want to discuss the future at the moment.

Agreed, he means literally not today - but that does not mean he will not leave in the summer.

Silverware or no I think he will go.

i agree that he is possibly the best forward in world football at the moment.

Ditch the word "possibly" and we are in full agreement.

Ironic that Liverpool are sponsored by Carlsberg because if Carlsberg made forwards they probably would have made Drogba rather than Torres.

Hear, hear Just.

There is talking on the pitch and talking off it. As far as I'm concerned and when weighed up, Drogba's talking on the pitch as a whole has always outweighed his talking off it. To measure or judge a player by what he says off the pitch is, imo, irrelevant as criteria to judging a player's worth. Sure, it would be a lovely world if all our great players deported themselves both on and off the pitch as well as say Zola. But that's never going to be the case. From time to time you're always going to have certain footballers who are world class on the pitch and who are, at least sometimes, babies off it. Drogba can, on occasion, strike one as vain and conceited both on and off the pitch: ie. certain ridiculous comments usually in the French press/writhing around on the ground/insisting on taking most of the free kicks. Equally, however, and on occasion, his nobility of spirit and undoubted footballing abilities and workrate on the pitch is terrific: ie. the attempts he has made, through football, of rapproachment of the political factions in his country/the big match - high pressure goals he has scored for us.

To me he's the Othello of football. Noble, even great but flawed all the same. Brillant one day, narcissitic the next.

I think he wants out at the end of the year but he's not so stupid to realize that he now has a chance for glory that he may never come close to again. And because of that chance and if it comes to pass that glory is achieved, he would, like anyone else, want to leave us on amicable terms.

I think he will be a great loss to us but, as they say, there are endless possibilities to goal so, and like any other team, we'll find other ways and other players and, if he he is off, we'll really only know by about the middle of next season whether he has been a great loss to us or otherwise.

Just,

I don't think anyone here hates Drogba...there are maybe a few who are frustrated by him at times and aren't happy about some of his actions, but everyone knows how big a role he has played for the club...

my comments are about facing reality...he's going, everyone knows it, I'm just moving on and seeing the bright side...by comparing him to sheva, by no means was I suggesting his game is as in decline as the Ukranian, just that it's inevitable that at 30, with his knee injury giving him more and more grief that he will decline...you cannot say he has been as good this season as last year, although his injury problems, african nations and playing up front on his own hasn't helped.

While Roman might be loaded, he isn't a charity and if we are to get a good price from Drogba it is now and maybe we do need to change our style of play to progress...last week at anfield we got lucky as for the third time in four semi-finals there we just hoofed long balls to him...when anelka is playing, we play better football although in no way do I think he is as prolific, one league goal has been a big disappointment.

Just, I know you're a massive fan of Drogba, I have been too...i'm just accepting that moscow is our last hurrah with him...

one last thing, if drogba can be forgiven for moaning and vowing to leave, to the press etc, then we should all forgive gallas too because he was to our defence what drogba has been for our attack

Unless he is legally able to buy out the remainder of his contract, I think Chelsea should insist that he remains for the last two years of his contract, even if he is left to rot in the reserves.

If we did that to Drogba, I doubt any half-decent player would ever sign for us in the future.

I think Didier is undoubtedly the best striker in the world at the moment, and has been for the last 2 seasons, and if he leaves, he will leave a massive hole in the side. But, since Mourinho left, he has pretty much consistantly stated that he wants to leave, and if that is the case, then so be it.

We will have to change our style though - as sticking Anelka or any other big-name striker straight in and expecting them to play like Drogba is not going to work.

maybe we do need to change our style of play to progress...last week at anfield we got lucky as for the third time in four semi-finals there we just hoofed long balls to him

That is not Drogba's fault. It is down to the choosen formation of an isolated central striker and not committing enough players foward to suport him. Only the manager can change that.

..when anelka is playing, we play better football although in no way do I think he is as prolific, one league goal has been a big disappointment.

Better football? I don't believe for one minute. And I am a big Anelka fan. But that argument is beside the point as wherever Drogba goes after us he will most likley be paired up front with another central striker, as is that is the best way to get the maximum effect from him.

Archived