V Portsmouth

evissy

Just wanted to start this thread wishing we will play with some second choices. Hilario/Cudicini, Ivanovic, Alex, Sinclair, DiSanto, Belletti, Paolo etc. I think it is amazing how we officially 'try' to win all four. Our squad is so thin at the moment that we need to give some time on the pitch to these secondmen.

So I hope:

------------Hilario--------------

Paolo-Alex---Ivanovic-Bridge

-----------Belletti---------------

---Ballack------------Lampard-

-------Sinclair------------------

------Drogba----DiSanto------

Sorry, but I doubt Scolari will take this lightly. It will be one of his major chances of silverwear this season, and I think it is almost expected (although not by any Chelsea supporters) of him. I think we will see a pretty strong squad, but doubt we'll see Paim or Sinclair...maybe coming off the bench but that's about it

Scott

Sorry, but I doubt Scolari will take this lightly. It will be one of his major chances of silverwear this season, and I think it is almost expected (although not by any Chelsea supporters) of him. I think we will see a pretty strong squad, but doubt we'll see Paim or Sinclair...maybe coming off the bench but that's about it

Scott

I fear that will happen. I has happened in the previous years.

I think we need to take CC seriously but in a different way. We need to see it as a serious occasion for the second choices to get some time on the pitch. When did Cudicini or Hilario play last time?

We can't be serious about being totally 110% with this tournament. The caliber of our team needs to focus for EPL and CL and for the domestic cups FA is far more esteemed than this sponsor tournament for a beer company.

I actually think there might be a mutual sponsor with us and the cup and they need to see the likes of Drogba, Terry and Lampard on the pitch playing in this tournament. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that was the case.

This cup is much more of a chance for teams like our first opponent.

You can always say that whenever a player puts the team jersey on he needs to be proud and fight for his club what ever the occasion. Sadly in 2008 this sounds a bit naive to be honest.

I'm a little dissapointed to have drawn Pompey in all honesty, it would of been good for Ben Sahar if they'd drawn someone else... not exactly sure how Felipe will go about this one... i expect a few changes and i expect Ballack and Drogba to play at least an hour each as they return from injury

Lassana Diarra, Sean Davis and Papa Bouba Diop have all been ruled out of Portsmouth's Carling Cup third-round clash with Chelsea on Wednesday.Manager Harry Redknapp was planning to rest several first-teamers in any case after three games in nine days but former Chelsea and Arsenal star Diarra's knee ligament injury looks a serious problem that could keep him out long term while Davis has a torn groin muscle and Diop a torn hamstring.

Redknapp, who was down to 17 fit senior players in training on Tuesday, is ready to give fit-again striker Kanu a first start since his FA Cup final winner in May.

Fellow Nigerian John Utaka may also start after coming on as a substitute against City and the manager must now decide whether to risk another beating - Chelsea hammered Pompey 4-0 on the first weekend of the season - by also resting the likes of Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe and skipper Sol Campbell.

Portsmouth (from): James, Ashdown, Kaboul, Johnson, Campbell, Distin, Hreidarsson, A Traore, D Traore, Mvuemba, Kanu, Utaka, Lauren, Little, Hughes, Nugent, Crouch, Defoe, Belhadj, Wilson.

As much as we want give the kids a go, losing the game would be a disaster, and we are going to play against the decent team. Therefore I still expect an experienced team on the park. For me:

Carlo

Paulo, Alex, JT, Bridge

Mikel

Lampard Ballack

Kalou Drogba Sinclair

Give Di Santo etc a go after we take the lead.

Big Phil knows he has to win trophies this season, the earlier he breaks the duck the better, so he will take this seriously.

No Rest For Chelsea Stars

Wed 24 Sep, 08:09 AM

Chelsea manager Luiz Felipe Scolari wants his squad to be hungry for success on all fronts and fighting for starting places in every game, including tonight's clash at Portsmouth.

While some top-flight managers may use the Carling Cup to rest key players and field youngsters, Scolari will resist changing his entire team for the third round clash at Fratton Park, with some of his decisions dictated by his injury list.

Deco and Ricardo Carvalho joined Michael Essien in the treatment room at the weekend when they sustained injuries before and during the clash against Manchester United.

Rather than protecting the rest of his squad, Scolari wants them demanding to play in every game.

The Brazilian told Chelsea TV: "All the games are important to Chelsea - friendly games, league games, Carling Cup, FA Cup, Champions League.

"I think differently from the other coaches because I think when the players play, it is not a job.

"It is because they like to play, not only for money and responsibility.

"They (the players) are more tired than if they play some games and when you ask the players if they want to play this game, they say yes.

"Sometimes yes, players play 10 games, I need to change for one game, I need to leave out one or two players."

Scolari will replace Carvalho in his defence against Pompey - but he will not hesitate using his key men.

"For the game against Portsmouth, from the team we started against Manchester United, I think four or five players start because I need to change, not because they don't want to play, but because I need to make something different with injuries and something," he said.

"If I had all the players free for this game, I put all the players to play."

Scolari is expecting a reaction from Pompey after they were defeated 6-0 by Manchester City at the weekend.

"Yes, that is normal," he said. "Managers always want a reaction after they lose some games and this one game was a disaster for Portsmouth.

"It is not normal this result and Portsmouth last season won the FA Cup, they are a very good team, they have big players.

"We know Portsmouth will play a good game against us, they have big players and they want a reaction, not only the coach.

"The players want to show the coach and the people that this was one day, a different day in their life. We respect Portsmouth but we want to win."

As much as we want give the kids a go, losing the game would be a disaster, and we are going to play against the decent team. Therefore I still expect an experienced team on the park. For me:

Carlo

Paulo, Alex, JT, Bridge

Mikel

Lampard Ballack

Kalou Drogba Sinclair

Give Di Santo etc a go after we take the lead.

Big Phil knows he has to win trophies this season, the earlier he breaks the duck the better, so he will take this seriously.

That looks like an acceptable compromise for me anyway. Give either Sinclair or DiSanto the opening spot. Paolo and Bridge should be on the pitch as well. I'm okay with your lineup icecool.. Drogs should also open his scoring.

If i could be botherd to fish through the archives i would fins the post i made back in july and add a big i told you so on the end of it..

Saying you bring youngsters through and pointing to your record of it is one thing but doing it in the stamford bridge preshure cooker is another.

Archived