Your Squad & Formation 2017-18

38 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

I have to say, a starting eleven without an English player leaves a sour taste in my mouth and doesn't sit well with me, I don't think it's right, others might disagree. Tammy is off to Swansea on loan, I'd keep a couple of English players around at least. 

People can say that it's a sign of the times and a staple of modern day football that English players aren't going to feature as much in PL team line-ups, and they wouldn't necessarily be wrong. English players are often lacking far behind their European/South American counterparts.

However, saying that, I still believe we should be deeply encouraging English talent to shine through. I would love for us to be the focal point of English talent for the league. Some of our youngsters are already there in my opinion and it would be such a shame to see them go on loan rather than be exposed to the first team squad.

7 hours ago, Floyd25 said:

I have to say, a starting eleven without an English player leaves a sour taste in my mouth and doesn't sit well with me, I don't think it's right, others might disagree. Tammy is off to Swansea on loan, I'd keep a couple of English players around at least. 

It's frustrating but this is just how it's going to have to be. There just aren't any English players good enough to play at the very top level right now. English footballers peak years ended after the so called golden generation, since then we have had very little to get excited about. Kane and Dele Alli look promising, but nobody will take them seriously until they start winning things.

Something must be going very wrong with the development of English footballers. Even before the golden generation, this country was producing loads of top quality English players. Maybe it's an attitude thing. We seem to get tons of promising young players only for them to disappear down to the Championship or lower. Flash cars and too much money before they have actually achieved anything, these things can't be good for young players. Having so much so early could well be messing with their priorities in life, maybe football doesn't mean as much to them when they are getting more money in a few weeks than most of Britain earn in a year.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

It's frustrating but this is just how it's going to have to be. There just aren't any English players good enough to play at the very top level right now. English footballers peak years ended after the so called golden generation, since then we have had very little to get excited about. Kane and Dele Alli look promising, but nobody will take them seriously until they start winning things.

Something must be going very wrong with the development of English footballers. Even before the golden generation, this country was producing loads of top quality English players. Maybe it's an attitude thing. We seem to get tons of promising young players only for them to disappear down to the Championship or lower. Flash cars and too much money before they have actually achieved anything, these things can't be good for young players. Having so much so early could well be messing with their priorities in life, maybe football doesn't mean as much to them when they are getting more money in a few weeks than most of Britain earn in a year.

I think it's because the Prem are so rich that they get complacent much faster than their counterparts in other countries. For South Americans, football makes or breaks them in life, French academies are constantly churning out class players and the club's wages aren't high to begin with same with the Germans. It's telling enough that when mediocre players like Walcott is earning 110k, the agents can just expect more money than usual due to potential and HG being a factor these days when negotiating contracts

Good points, there does seem to be a lack of talent in the England set up at senior level, with some good talent at lower age levels, hopefully some of them can go on to be top players. It's difficult to see the likes of Baker and Abraham make it with us though. Should there not be a rule, that states you must have at least two English players in your starting eleven? I know it would effect us, but it would be a positive for English football, the FA claim they want to help, but don't implement rules to make a difference. No doubt the Premier League is stronger with foreign players and we helped to achieve this, fielding the first ever foreign eleven, I just feel you should have to field at least one/two English players, as this is supposed to be an English competition, with English clubs.

1 minute ago, Floyd25 said:

Good points, there does seem to be a lack of talent in the England set up at senior level, with some good talent at lower age levels, hopefully some of them can go on to be top players. It's difficult to see the likes of Baker and Abraham make it with us though. Should there not be a rule, that states you must have at least two English players in your starting eleven? I know it would effect us, but it would be a positive for English football, the FA claim they want to help, but don't implement rules to make a difference. No doubt the Premier League is stronger with foreign players and we helped to achieve this, fielding the first ever foreign eleven, I just feel you should have to field at least one/two English players, as this is supposed to be an English competition, with English clubs.

If it came between picking English football over Chelsea, i would pick Chelsea every time. I think if we force English players to start, it could seriously hurt English sides in Europe. We could basically have two average players being forced to start when they are nowhere near good enough. Opposition teams would target those players if they aren't good enough.

I think another problem English players have is that they never go anywhere else to play football. They either play in the Premier League or sit on the bench. It's so rare to see any English players playing in Italy, Spain, Germany or France.

12 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I know they are Spurs players but I think you are underselling them by saying they "look promising". Both are quality players and I'd take either of them at Chelsea.

Something that I saw pointed out was that West Ham's 18 year old Reece Oxford has been sent on loan to Borussia Monchengladbach, a club arguably better than West Ham. I think that says a lot about the different opportunities afforded to youth in England and Germany.

3 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

If it came between picking English football over Chelsea, i would pick Chelsea every time. I think if we force English players to start, it could seriously hurt English sides in Europe. We could basically have two average players being forced to start when they are nowhere near good enough. Opposition teams would target those players if they aren't good enough.

Fair enough, I guess we're more of a global club now, more than an English club, I'm all for diversity, just think it's gone too far. Remember just a few years ago, Lamps, JT, Joe Cole, Ashley Cole, Bridge, SWP, all we have now is Cahill who possibly won't even start next season, it's just a bit sad. I'm sure foreign fans couldn't care less, for me though it's an important issue. 

Even in China it's embarrassing, they have to play a young u23 national from the start  with some teams subbing them after a few minutes.  Waisting a substitution as well as denting the players confidence. Until managers are given time without the fear of the axe, they are going to pick the completed player to keep their jobs.

I really don't care that much. I hardly expect anything when England are playing anyway. I guarantee you we'll get to the quarter final in Russia next year and lose in embarrassing fashion again. Maybe even earlier. Only 1 real world class English player at the moment and that's Kane. Alli looks really good but he still has to prove his consistency. 

I think we have something with Baker and I'd love for Conte to at least give him a chance in pre-season to impress. He's a really good talent imo and I think he's level headed enough to grab the chance if given.

On topic:

Courtois

Azpi Luiz VVD

(New RWB) Kante Bakayoko Sandro

Pedro Hazard

Lukaku

Really wish we could get a new RWB from somewhere. I hope Conte's not planning to depend on Moses on that wing all season again or even Azpi.

Sanchez would be nice but I don't see that happening. Short of Sanchez, I don't know who else we could get that would be a legit upgrade on Pedro at the moment. Not the biggest fan of James Rodriguez.

On 2017-6-26 at 10:30, Barrettinator said:

I really don't care that much. I hardly expect anything when England are playing anyway. I guarantee you we'll get to the quarter final in Russia next year and lose in embarrassing fashion again. Maybe even earlier. Only 1 real world class English player at the moment and that's Kane. Alli looks really good but he still has to prove his consistency. 

I think we have something with Baker and I'd love for Conte to at least give him a chance in pre-season to impress. He's a really good talent imo and I think he's level headed enough to grab the chance if given.

On topic:

Courtois

Azpi Luiz VVD

(New RWB) Kante Bakayoko Sandro

Pedro Hazard

Lukaku

Really wish we could get a new RWB from somewhere. I hope Conte's not planning to depend on Moses on that wing all season again or even Azpi.

Sanchez would be nice but I don't see that happening. Short of Sanchez, I don't know who else we could get that would be a legit upgrade on Pedro at the moment. Not the biggest fan of James Rodriguez.

Pretty much what i expect (and hope), i like Pedro and Willian so would be happy for that spot on the right to remain the same. However if we could get Aubemyang that would improve us there. 

The 25 players we had for 2016/17:

GK (3) Courtois, Begovic, Eduardo

DEF/WB (9) Moses, Azpiliceuta, Aina, Terry, Cahill, Luiz, Zouma, Ake, Alonso

MID (5) Kante, Matic, Fabregas, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek

ATTACKING MID (5) Willian, Hazard, Pedro, Kenedy, Musonda

FWD (3) Costa, Batshuayi, Solanke

Players in RED are leaving (either left already, or in JT's case, two days to go !), so that is three replacements, looking like Caballero, Christensen and Lukaku.

If media are to be believed, then Costa and Matic will follow them out the door, so I'll put them in ORANGE for now. Bakayoko seems odds on the replacement for Matic.

So that would leave us like this (new signings in GREEN, loan returnee in LIGHT BLUE):

GK (3) Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo

DEF/WB (9) Moses, Azpiliceuta, Aina, Christensen, Cahill, Luiz, Zouma, Ake, Alonso

MID (5) Kante, Bakayoko, Fabregas, Chalobah, Loftus-Cheek

FWD (3) Batshuayi, Lukaku

Alot of talk that Sandro is coming, so presumablly that would be at the expense of Ake or Aina. Similarly if another experienced centre back is coming in (Bonucci, Van Dijk, Manolas etc etc) then that for me is the upgrade on Zouma.

Lofus-Cheek would be the vulnerable player if we sign another midfielder. or if Baker comes back.

For wingers, it wouldn't surprise me if we make one significant signing here (don't know who), in place of Kenedy (sold) and Musonda (PL loan).

It would also seem clear that if Costa is offloaded, there would be room for one more attacker. Pretty please that United haven't tied up the Morata deal as he would be great for us.

So with any luck, we end up something like this:

GK (3) Courtois, Caballero, Eduardo

DEF/WB (9) Moses, Azpiliceuta, Christensen, Cahill, Luiz, Van Dijk, Ake, Alonso, Sandro

MID (5) Kante, Bakayoko, Fabregas, Chalobah, Baker

ATTACKING MID (4) Willian, Hazard, Pedro, ANOTHER

FWD (3) Lukaku, Batshuayi, Morata

So 7 new signings, and 2 players promoted to first team squad after a successful loan. Keep Chalobah and Ake in the squad.

Sold: Begovic,  Matic, Costa, Solanke, Kenedy

EoC: Terry

Loan: Aina, Zouma, Loftus-Cheek, Musonda

Multiple formations possible but why mess with the successful 3-4-3 ? I do think 3-5-2 might be the plan however, especially if Lukaku and another name striker come in.

Edited by Sexyfootball

2 hours ago, JMaher94 said:

Matic, Costa, Begovic and Ake out.

Sandro, Bakayoko, Lukaku, Willy, Van Dijk and preferably a RWB and that would be a monstrous summer.

If that RWB is someone on par with the likes of Mendy, Sidibe it'd be great

And a RF along the lines of Sanchez or a James would turn this summer into something words might not be enough to describe. 

That team will then just needs sorting out by the current Best Manager in the Prem

25 minutes ago, RyanGooding said:

My realistic guess of our Starting XI against Burnley - providing they're all fit.

TBO
Dave-Luiz-Cahill(c)
Moses-Baka-Kante-Sandro
Willian-Lukaku-Pedro

Subs: Caballero, Christensen, Alonso, Matic, Fabregas, Batman, Kenedy/Musonda

That front 3 does not fill me with confidence

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

Well, we're down to 21 first team squad players now LOL, and that includes 6 youngsters (Aina, Zouma, Chalobah, RLC, Kenedy and Musonda) and the unwanted Mr Costa !

I wonder what we have up our sleeve ?

Surely we will be adding quite a bit. Can't go into a full season with that. Apparently chalobah and zouma will go on loan too. So that means we could be down to 20 players.

GK (2) Courtois, Eduardo

DEF (6) Moses, Azpiliceuta, Aina, Cahill, Luiz,, Alonso

MID (4) Kante, Matic,Fabregas,  Loftus-Cheek

FWD (3) Costa, Batshuayi, Solanke

I persume Christensen will be back, and we will add bakoyoko, rudiger, Willy as GK, Sandro that brings it to 25, and possibly lukaku instead of costa. And maybe another 1 or 2 signings another CB and a CM if matic goes.

so maybe we can expect 5-6 new signings ? 

Edited by Jezq8