JT Signs On

Mr Chelsea

JT as signed a new contract keeping him at the bridge for another 5 years

excellent news

if the rumours of the massive amounts of money he's going be paid are true, well good on him and chelsea

if we were buying JT now he would have cost us £40mil and with wages over 5 years, lets say another 40mil, chelsea have saved 40mil, good business sense if you ask me

Great news, and it seems to be, essentially, for what he was making before. I'm sure this will be spun, somehow, into a quid pro quo for his loyalty in the summer. Maybe they will try and make up some absurd contractual stipulations like "JT gets the closest handicapped space to the door in the parking lot, and will automatically have a stand renamed for him upon the day of his retirement"

We could of squeezed 40 million from Citeh which would have been good business.

What central defender would we have signed to replace him? Who could have stepped in and immediately start leading the backline like Terry has done? Some things money can't buy and I'm glad we didn't cash in on our captain(our only home grown player).

The silence from our fans is deafening.....................

Like this one?

606: DEBATE

I realise he is approaching the end of his career but I have to say that selling him really would have been a massive mistake

newTrueBlue4life

"approaching the end of his career"

Really? Does anyone else feel that way, cause to me JT's in his prime now.

I remember people in here saying the only way JT can come clean with the city saga is saying NO to city in public and not signing a new improved contract .

Well , sucks it came to this but the guy is probably trying to do the best he can for himself . Cant really blame him tbh , but the club should start having a salary policy of some sort because we all know what happens what such things lead to .

Like this one?

I realise he is approaching the end of his career but I have to say that selling him really would have been a massive mistake

newTrueBlue4life

I kind of feel that he isn't too far off the money there. The 5 year deal takes JT to 33..I just can't really see him playing on much past that age.

Excluding Ledley King, JT has probably the most battered body of all 28 year olds in the premiership. The amount of times he has put his body of the line, and ended up getting injured, or even in hospital just add up. Due to his willpower, I just worry that some major medical issue is going to present itself before too long, due to the committed and fear-free style in which he plays, obviously I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him playing at a top level until 35/36.

Like this one?

newTrueBlue4life

had it been 20 years ago then yes he would be near the end of his career but with players fitness regime's these days, JT can go on and do a job at top level for another 6 or 7 years

What central defender would we have signed to replace him? Who could have stepped in and immediately start leading the backline like Terry has done? Some things money can't buy and I'm glad we didn't cash in on our captain(our only home grown player).

In Alex, Ricci and Ivanovic we have three good defenders so finding a fourth would not have been impossible. Ballack could quite easily take over the armband or why not Essien. There are no guarantees Terry will remain fit, especially considering his injury problems over the last couple of seasons. I reckon Fergie or Wengar would have taken the money. It is a business after all. Is Terry bigger than the club now?

Guest bigjockknew

Brilliant news and good business I think. He is in his prime and 5 years deal will keep others at bay. Is there a suggestion that he would become manager after the contract ends - rumour I heard, probably no more than that

We could of squeezed 40 million from Citeh which would have been good business.

I agree that 40 Million would have been good business but in my opinion only if

out of the Prem. Why would we strenghten, soon to be rivals, while weakening

our own team.

It is a business after all. Is Terry bigger than the club now?

We didn't need to sell and I doubt we would have got that Marquee signing even if we had sold Terry. He is not bigger than the club, but he's a natural leader and just has that "never say die"-attitude. And I reckon it's not just on the pitch, but I think he has a big role in the dressing room as well. Although he's no Beckham, I reckon his name sells quite a bit of merchandise and to have a home grown captain is great for the brand the club is trying to build. It is a business after all. :)

From the official site http://www.chelseafc.com/page/StatisticsDe...461352,00.html:

So if JT does fulfill his ambition to become Chelsea's Paolo Maldini, he will be our first one-club man not to retire prematurely.

No Chelsea player has ever played his entire career - from youth team through to retirement not caused by injury (Ken Shellito) at the club. Even Chopper went off to Brentford, and Bonetti went to the US then Scotland.

Like this one?

newTrueBlue4life

I saw that quote and wondered the same thing. I do understand where he's coming from though, because JT has put himself through a hell of a lot whilst playing for us, the old dog. I hope he carries on at the top level for as long as Maldini did, of course, but I feel he might have a shorter career span than most.

On the other hand, he's quite adept at ignoring pain, evidently, so that might make his career that much longer.

yes well done jt...but of course you didn't use man city's interest to get this deal! i'm glad he's staying, but like i said during the whole city affair, his behaviour wasn't great and lost a bit of respect in my eyes...if you cut him, would he bleed chelsea blue or chelsea cash?

during the whole city affair, his behaviour wasn't great and lost a bit of respect in my eyes

I don't understand this one. Ok, the silence was deafening, but it's not like he handed in a transfer request or moaned that he didn't want to be at Chelsea or anything like that. He just didn't make a public statement about it and when he did, he said he's staying. Ok, we know he's signed an extension to his deal, but I don't remember seeing any concrete facts about the deal other than how long the new contract is. As far as I know, all the talk about how much his salary is according to the contract has all been just speculation as I don't remember seeing any official figures about it. I think people who claim that if they had been in Terry's place and had received a huge offer from City that they wouldn't have been flattered by it and at least given it some thought.

Sure, as a fan I would have preferred that he would have come out earlier and said he's not going anywhere, but I don't think his behavior was particularly bad. He didn't moan or drop hints that he wanted to leave. He didn't say a thing and all of us fans can only speculate what was going on. One thing is for sure that we can count on him to fight for the cause on the pitch and that's what counts for me.

Archived