Bye Bye Kenyon

TomW

Kenyon is leaving his role as chief executive on October 31st

Chelsea announced today (Wednesday) that chief executive Peter Kenyon is leaving the club in a full-time capacity from October 31.

Kenyon will continue to be a non-executive director and represent Chelsea on various Uefa and the European Clubs' Association committees.

He said: 'I am extremely proud of my time at Chelsea and of the friendships I have forged with everyone here.

'I have been in football for 15 years and I can say with great certainty and pleasure the experience at Chelsea is one of the best I have had.

'When I joined Chelsea it was an incredible challenge and together with all the staff, the players, the board and Roman, I think we have really built a club, in a relatively short space of time, that can be in the forefront of European football for many years to come. That is a major achievement.

'I am also delighted that our relationship is not ending and I can continue to make a contribution to keeping Chelsea in that position and to go back to visit friends.

'I intend to take a little time off before considering what I do next but I am certain I have at least one major challenge left in me.

'I would like to wish Chelsea the best of luck for the rest of the season. I am sure Carlo can lead the team to more great things.'

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck said: 'Peter has done a fantastic job for Chelsea in the last five-and-a-half years and has been absolutely central to the success on and off the field we have had during that time.

'Without his football knowledge and business acumen Chelsea would not be where we are today.

'Everyone at Chelsea thanks him for that contribution and although he will not be with us on a permanent basis he will have an important role to play as a non-executive director and in the various roles he holds in European football bodies.

'When Peter first joined us we knew we were recruiting a top executive from business generally, not just football. With that always came a certain inevitability he would eventually want to seek a new challenge and I am sure that is what he will do.

'Whatever his next permanent job we wish him the best of luck in the future. He will always be welcome back at Chelsea.'

http://www.chelseafc.com/page/LatestNews/0...1798843,00.html

YES YES YES was my initial reaction when I heard the news on the radio. What this means that for the time being - until he finds another job, presumably - he stays on the payroll but will have no influence on anything whatsoever to do with the way the club is run. The only down side is that he'll still be associated with the club for the near future at least.

How Kenyon managed to last this long is another of life's little mysteries.

This is f**king great news and what 99% of Chelsea fans have been hoping for.

Sure it's not just the whole Kakuta thing but maybe that was the final straw - I said at the time hopefully Kenyon will have to bite the bullet. Every cloud and all that...................

Notts County is actually another good suggestion that wouldnt shock me.

Sure it's not just the whole Kakuta thing but maybe that was the final straw - I said at the time hopefully Kenyon will have to bite the bullet. Every cloud and all that...................

Nibs, I didnt like the man at all, but I dont honestly think he had anything to do with the Kakauta deal, and was left scrambling to defend the club's name in the press. Although, of course, his laundry list of screwups were long enough without that.

star will be a happy man!!...to be honest apart from the early days when he helped steal a couple of utd targets like robben and essien, he has contributed little...sure he has helped develop the 'brand' and done some big sponsorship deals, but that's the side of the game that no real fan cares for or appreciates

Before I celebrate this too heartily, I'm sure there is quite a lot of important stuff we take for granted at the club that Kenyon was responsible for maintaining or creating. The man may have been an odious c**t, but I'm sure he wasn't quite the f**kup we all think he is...

Cue everyone hitting me.

Before I celebrate this too heartily, I'm sure there is quite a lot of important stuff we take for granted at the club that Kenyon was responsible for maintaining or creating. The man may have been an odious c**t, but I'm sure he wasn't quite the f**kup we all think he is...

Cue everyone hitting me.

Well there was the Sven saga, the whole Ashley Cole affair, the apparent tapping up of Ferdinand reported in the press, Gael Kakuta, ....despite all that he still managed to have the front to lead us up to collect runner-up medal in the CL final.......I could go on but can't be bothered.

He helped our branding in the US, but that's about it. He'll go onto do the same at City........at least he'll still be able to dine with his old mate Robinho!

Before everyone gets too excited, it looks as if he is staying on just not in his original capactiy. But I think we can all see which way the wind is blowing

Cue everyone hitting me.

You were ballsy to say that, and I will give you some kind of backup there.

All the screwups aside, if these new financial rules come into play from UEFA, and financial turnover becomes a prerequisite for participating in their competitions, then Kenyon can at least be thanked for that because the financial numbers have improved year over year under him.

Now im going to gargle with lighter fluid

Archived