Chelsea review of the decade

bjd
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Blimey we leave the zeros tomorrow. How did that happen ?

Wasnt it only yesterday we were worrying about the y2k bug ? Ten years ago i was 24 and was preparing for a night of debauchery , fast drugs and fast women. Tonight im going to a dinner party.

Ten years ago we had Vialli in charge, still had great favourites like Robbie D, Super Dan and Zola in the team and had just taken some stick for fielding the first non British team in history.

Hows things changed for us. What a decade its been. We are currently top of the league and moaning about it. We want a 40 million player from Spain and will moan if we dont get him and are annoyed that we have JUST reached 5 out of the last 6 Champions League semi finals.

The rule here is very simple. One answer for each, no nominations , just one answer.

Heres mine...

Match Of The Decade

My, its tough. Funnily enough for a competition so many of us seem to knock and pretend not to care about a lot of our best games seem to have been in the Champions League. Im going to have to plump for the Barce 4-2 in 2005. Going three nill up against Barcelona ? The bizarre thing is we have done it twice in the decade ! The difference is we put them out this time.

Player Of The Decade

Lampard. For consistency no-one comes close. What was it - 186 games in a row ? Every great moment we have had this decade he has been right there. He has delivered in every big game when we have needed it most. As i said on another thread somewhere else recently, surely now he is up there with Zola and Osgood as one of our 'best evers' ? And who'd have thought it after that first season too ?

Goal Of The Decade

Again tough. Franks second against Bolton was so memorable on so many levels for me. What a strange feeling that was for us all.

Defining Moment Of The Decade

Gronks v Liverpool. I know that most people will say it was Abramovich taking over and with good reason too. But that wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for this moment. Possibly the best atmosphere of the decade at SB that day too.

Personality Of The Decade.

No one comes close. That press conference. That coat. That arrogance. Those medals. We will never see his like again.

Saddest/Worst moment Of The Decade

Peter Osgood dying. Yes, Moscow was awful. So was losing the Cup Final to Arsenal in 2002. Jose leaving us hit us hard. But thats just football. Ossie was a Chelsea legend and he will be missed by all.

Hope For The Next Decade

More of the same please. Weve been spoilt really havent we ? Cant really ask for much more. There really never is a dull moment at Chelsea and thats why we love them.

Happy new year and happy new decade to all my friends on the forum.

Its been a funny decade for the forum , we've been through a few changes but im glad we are still here. Its still very much my first stop when i click on that IE icon....

I might even make that first donation this decade. Who knows...

Edited by bjd

Gronks v Liverpool. I know that most people will say it was Abramovich taking over and with good reason too. But that wouldnt have happened if it wasnt for this moment. Possibly the best atmosphere of the decade at SB that day too.

But we only needed a draw to finish fourth in the league that season and the equaliser was headed in by Desailly. Jesper crossed the ball to Desailly, though.

happy new year to all the shedenders

Match Of The Decade

Chelsea - Barcelona 4:2 in 2005

Player Of The Decade

John Terry, Lampard comes close

Goal Of The Decade

Thats a hard choice to be honest. Essien´s goal against Barca in CL this year was probably one of the most beautiful ones. Makelele´s penalty and first goal for Chelsea against Charlton was great too. It was the day when we got the Barclays Premiership trophy handed over

Roman taking over.

Thats gotta be Jose Mourinho !

That was Iniesta´s goal in the home leg against Barca in 2009. And JT missing that pen in Moscow. Somehow I knew it was over when he missed it.

Hope For The Next Decade

that we win the PL again soon, and that we have stability with one manager for a longer time.

Match Of The Decade

Chelsea 4 - 4 Liverpool. Yes, it was only a few months ago, but it was the most exciting match I've ever watched. Alex's strike was out of this world, and when Lamps scored his second in off both posts, I just knew that that was our night. Unbelievable match in every single way.

Player Of The Decade

Frank Lampard. JT comes a close second, and Drogs a distant third, but no one can beat the legend that is Super Frank. His consistency has been beaten by absolutely no one, he's the most prolific midfielder probably ever, he constantaly creates goals or attacks that lead to goals, though this season he's been a bit indifferent, he's still had a fair few special contributions (taking those 3 pens vs. West Ham for instance).

Goal Of The Decade

Zola vs. Norwich, FA Cup 3rd Round Replay, 2002. Only three goals come close for me, and they still are way way back. Joe Cole vs. Man United in 2006 to clinch the title, Essien v Arsenal in 2006 and Essien v Barcelona last season, all amazing goals. But Zola's goal just proved how special a player he was. Only he could do that at that moment. Cristiano Ronaldo? Not a chance.

Chelsea 2 - 1 Liverpool, 2003. Had we not won that game, who knows where we'd be today. Would Roman've taken over? Would Jose've taken over? Who knows.

"Pressure? What pressure?"

Ovrebo. The ridiculousness of the situation, 4 penalties. It's a disgrace.

Hope For The Next Decade

A Mourinho esque era from Ancelotti, if you would. And that he lasts at least 5 seasons. And, the added addition of the Champions League would be exceptional.

But we only needed a draw to finish fourth in the league that season and the equaliser was headed in by Desailly. Jesper crossed the ball to Desailly, though.

Oh come on why be so pedantic?

You know what im getting at. Maybe i shouldve put 'Match versus Liverpool 2003'. Anyway it was a great moment. Whos to say what wouldve happened if he hadnt have scored?. We won, he scored it.

Heres some more...

Misc (just because they cannot be missed out and i cant fit them in anywhere else)

Beating Utd 3-0 to win back to back titles. It couldve been 6-0. It looked that day like we would dominate for years to come.

Sadly it was a pivotal moment for us as much as it was Utd. Which leads me to...

Shevchenko. Lets face it we all wanted him didnt we ? I think it was around this time three years ago when we realised just what we had done

and just what we had spent. I dont want want to hear any 'but he tried hard' comments. The whole thing was an embarrasing disaster.

JT and that penalty in Moscow. How many other people couldnt watch it ? Part of me still has never forgiven Drogba for putting JT in that

position.

Bridge at Highbury. One upon a time we never used to beat Arsenal and they were the invicibles you know ? Best Thursday morning feeling ever.

Robbie D being forced to retire. Sad moment for a great guy.

We lost to Spurs in a Cup Final at Wembley. It was awful.

Heres a few special names from the decade too, the good the bad and the Jimmy....

Eidur. Bogarde. Maka. Joka. Drogba. Cech. Gallas. Ovrebo. Claudio. Veron. Essien. Grant. Hiddink. Gronks. Poyet and his badge. Clarke.

Apologies to those ive missed. Im so bored at work today.

Edited by bjd

Great post BJD, agree with it all.

I'd also like to add our 3-2 Victory over Leeds at the Bridge, could have been 2002/03 season (I forget). I was ill in bed that day and when Eidur's overhead kick went in I fell out of the bed in delight! Lamps also got 2 (including the winner I believe) in that match and thats the first time I remember thinking - he's good!

Good post

And I have to say 100 % agree with your choices so not much to add....

I also loved Drogba's goal against Liverpool at the Bridge when he tunred and shot from 30 yards

and a close one also was Bridgey's against the L'arse was a great match and turning point and Claudio's reaction will never be forgotten.

Good post bjd.

But as for

Shevchenko. Lets face it we all wanted him didnt we ?

No. Never Did.

And we are still looking back on his signing and that of Ballack as to when the wheels came off.

I would agree with you Nibs for Sheva, but you really can't say a free transfer for Ballack was not worth it at the time. Proven International and Champions League player coming to play for us. As much I would now like to see him replaced, contrary to Sheva, Ballack has had many good and excellent games for us, although his wages are off the roof.

As for the best goal of the season, for me it still is Lampards flick against Barca. And biggest disapointement was the series against Porto, if only Claudio didn't mess up, we would have had the title that year, I could not see Monaco get past us.

Match Of The Decade

Arsenal in the CL quarter final with the Wayne Bridge winner. That second half display was stunning. The last man standing in the world who didn't love Claudio after that game had a heart as cold as Mary Whitehouse's thighs.

Player Of The Decade

Lampard. Without a shadow of doubt. Personally I don’t see how anyone else can be in contention. The goals, the assists, the staying on his feet, the clever deflected long shots, holding his head up high when idiot England fans booed him (take note Scholes), being on Gem's wall the man has everything.

Goal Of The Decade

Guddy's overhead kick against Leeds in the 2002/03 season. He scored the goal of the decade and won the Olympic Gold for the high jump using the Fosbury Flop in the same instant.

Gronkjaer v Liverpool. OK Maksimov has already pointed out that it was Desailly's equaliser that actually secured the needed point however anyone who watched the game that day was sh*tting bricks until Gronks goal made things safe for us. Only at that point did we really start to celebrate.

Have to give it to Jose. I am in a small group (population Liam and me) who wasn't all that keen on Jose as a person however that doesn't mean I don't recognise he had an enormous personality. I do however blame him entirely for the fact I had to endure the missus watching football, Avram put an end to that!

Off the field it was clearly the passing of Ossie. On the pitch I would have expected to pick the CL final but as I think back I actually think the saddest moment for me was the Monaco semi final first leg. Claudio was just about the nicest bloke to ever wake up and put on his leather slippers before eating a pastry. For the first time ever I wanted us to win a tournament as much for the manager as for my own delightfully childish urge to run out in the street and do the Roger Milla shuffle. The contrast between Claudio's face that night and his tears when Bridge scored against Arsenal was heartbreaking.

Hope For The Next Decade

Robbie D to establish himself as a manager of genuine quality and to lead us to glory. Zola to relegate West Ham, Redknapp to be found guilty of massive transfer irregularities with Spurs being relegated as a punishment. Benitez to be awarded a 10 year contract extension.

Match of Decade : 4-4 against Liverpool last season, not great football, but what drama!

Player of Decade : For consistency - Lamps; for guts - JT; for putting the fear of God into the opposition - the Drog

Goal of the Decade : Lamps at Bolton - nothing can ever match it, not for its skill, but for what it meant.

Defining Moment : Mourinho taking over - Ranieri was never going to cut it and look at all the efforts to fully replace him since

Personality of Decade : Again it has to be Jose, not since Tommy Doc have we had a character like him

Worst Moment : Avram Grant taking over - never appoint anyone to a job because he is your mate

Hope for next decade : That we replace the ageing legends like Frank and JT and finally get hold of the Champions League trophy

Match of Decade

Second Leg against Liverpool CL Semi's 2008. After so many years of falling just short we finally made it to the final. That penalty from Frank still sends chills down the spine, it's the gutsiest thing I've seen on a football field in my time watching the game.

Player of Decade

A tie for me between Frank and JT. In different parts of the pitch they have been the rocks on which our success has been built.

Goal of the Decade

Others might favour the goal against Norwich but my favourite Zola moment and a goal I'll always remember will always be the swansong goal against Everton at the Bridge. Off the outside of the right foot from outside the area lobbing over the keeper, summed up everything about the guy. This one beats out Essien's screamers, as well as Drogba's turn and shoot and Alex's free kick.

Defining Moment

Might be a bit left field. Tinkerman's explosion at Stade Louis II against Monaco, in the CL Semi's 2004. I know we threw the return leg away with some bad misses. But the substitutions he made during that match in my mind sealed his fate and meant that Jose became our manager at the end of that season.

Personality of Decade

Many have said Jose, but I'm going with Didier. I hated him for some time after he got sent off in that final, but for all his flopping around, he wins you back every time with his crucial goals. Arsenal last season in the FA cup, Liverpool the year before in the Champions League. The turn and shoot from the top of the box against Liverpool. The sheer arrogance and audacity of him makes it difficult for me to imagine the club without him.

Worst Moment

That penalty miss for JT is still the one for me. After the Ronaldo miss I was bouncing off the walls (esp. because it was Ronaldo) I don't think I've ever felt so deflated than when JT missed, from that moment I knew it was just a matter of time until we lost after that.

Hope for Next Decade

More of the same, but with a little CL triumph as a cherry on top, preferably while Frank, JT, Drogba (so he can make up for Moscow) and Ballack (so he actually gets to win something big) are still playing. Oh and no more painful last minute exits from competitions.

Edited by Spiller86

I would agree with you Nibs for Sheva, but you really can't say a free transfer for Ballack was not worth it at the time. Proven International and Champions League player coming to play for us. As much I would now like to see him replaced, contrary to Sheva, Ballack has had many good and excellent games for us, although his wages are off the roof.

As for the best goal of the season, for me it still is Lampards flick against Barca. And biggest disapointement was the series against Porto, if only Claudio didn't mess up, we would have had the title that year, I could not see Monaco get past us.

Am i missing something here ? I can remember Lamps scoring three goals v Barca, but not a flick. Do you mean the lob ?

Oh and i think you have Porto and Monaco the wrong way round!

That night against Monaco was awful and i cant belive i missed it out in my second post.

How to go from hero to zero in 90 mins by Mr C Raneri.

Deary me, its still painful. Parker at right back. Jimmy on the ring. Veron hobbling....

That night against Monaco was awful and i cant belive i missed it out in my second post.

Deary me, its still painful. Parker at right back. Jimmy on the ring. Veron hobbling....

I remember I broke my remote when I threw it at the TV after they scored the third goal. All respect to Jimmy Floyd but he wouldn't work in an iron lung, and playing him on the right? I still wonder if Claudio had a frontal lobotomy at some point during that match.

Am i missing something here ? I can remember Lamps scoring three goals v Barca, but not a flick. Do you mean the lob ?

Oh and i think you have Porto and Monaco the wrong way round!

didnt he play huth up front aswell, while leaving jfh on the wing?

Huth was brought on - I can't remember if he was pumped upfront.

Crespo was on the right wing and then JFH after that.

If you can suffer reading about it then it is described at the bottom of here

http://www.theshedend.com/index.php?showtopic=12189

(shameless plug)

Good read that, apart from the Monaco bit. Where did you get all the inside info, or is that a secret?

Impossible task but well tackled bjd. i would like to see the Roman Decade Cross go to Ranieri he followed on the work of Hoddle, Gullit and Luca with some great signings and nearly took of us all the way without Ab's money

Match of the Decade: C.L. Semi-final 2008. Second leg versus Liverpool.

Player of the Decade: Frank Lampard.

Goal of the Decade: Two come to mind. Zola's versus Norwich and Everton.

Defining Moment of the Decade: Abramovich taking charge.

Personality of the Decade: Jose! Enough said!

Saddest/Worst Moment of the Decade: Death of Peter Osgood. John Terry's penalty miss!

Hope for the Next Decade: Ancelotti to succeed and bring us a few League and FA Cup wins and at least one CL victory. In addition replace some of the oldies with world class fresh young blood.

Match of the Decade: C.L. Semi-final 2008. Second leg versus Liverpool.

Player of the Decade: Frank Lampard.

Goal of the Decade: Two come to mind. Zola's versus Norwich and Everton.

Defining Moment of the Decade: Abramovich taking charge.

Personality of the Decade: Jose! Enough said!

Saddest/Worst Moment of the Decade: Death of Peter Osgood. John Terry's penalty miss!

Hope for the Next Decade: Ancelotti to succeed and bring us a few League and FA Cup wins and at least one CL victory. In addition replace some of the oldies with world class fresh young blood.

I was there!