World Cup 2010 - Match day 16

15:00 BST Uruguay v. South Korea

19:00 BST USA v. Ghana

The tournament is really coming alive now. With due deference to our members from across the water, neither game is much tempting me away from enjoying the sunshine.

After yesterday's turgid displays by three of the tournament favourites, Spain, Brazil and Portugal, there are no real signs of it exploding in to life.

Hmm, Uruguay looking good. Their forward line is class. Such quality movement from their strikers, you can see how much it means to them. At one point Cavani gave away possession and then chased the Korean player for 60m trying to win it back. Love to see that. Suarez's finish was cool as, didn't even take a touch from the acute angle, just smacked it away. I know he plays in the Eredivisie where they don't believe in defense, but I for one wouldn't mind seeing him in the Chelsea Blue next season. Great goal instinct, you can't teach that.

Ghana are not the same team without Essien. They lack firing power. But they cannot be taken lightly with the whole of Africa rooting for them. I expect a close game and the USA coming out on top with a 1-0 victory!

Boateng makes is 1-0 for the Black Stars already.

The USA concede and early goal, Again!!! Although this time Howard was beaten too easily at his near post.

What is the general feeling about CLark being in the middle head of Edu? I thought Edu had been playing well, and Clarks loss of posession lead to the first Ghana goal. He then tried too hard to make up for his mistake a few moments later, and has conceded and early yellow!

I also think Findley is a better "wonder sub" than a started!

Cherundolo just picked up a yellow now too, and is being tested early; if the US were to now advance, then Cherundolo will miss the next game. A few US players getting caught in posession too when a simple pass out of trouble is the better option.

Scott

Against the run of play Ghana make a goal out of nothing (long kick from the keeper).

USA continue to look the better team, but I don't know how many times they can keep going behind to claw their way back!

Not at the back though which is suicide

Great game, USA can hold their heads high.

They can that however I do feel Ghana deserved to go through albeit very marginally. I actually expected Ghana to win more easily than that so plenty of credit to the US for their display.

Ghana are giving the USA a textbook lesson on time-wasting. In case anyone was in doubt - cheating works.

Maybe so but there probably isn't a team in professional football, international or domestic, that wouldn't do exactly the same thing in those circumstances. At least the ref dealt with it tonight by adding on 3 minutes at the end of injury time.

Maybe so but there probably isn't a team in professional football, international or domestic, that wouldn't do exactly the same thing in those circumstances. At least the ref dealt with it tonight by adding on 3 minutes at the end of injury time.

Spot on on both counts.

I'm glad for Ghana and the whole of Africa. I think their keeper had an amazing game and was the reason they were still in it when the late goal came.

Sad for the USA, but they can hold their heads up high. They've done very well in this tournament.

Gutted that USA lost. Came down to the defense not doing it's job. Kingson was motm for Ghana.

They should hold their heads up high. They put their hearts and soul into the tourney. No one can ask for more than that.

And I agree that Bradley should be kicking himself. I was boggled by some of his selections.

Gutted that USA lost. Came down to the defense not doing it's job. Kingson was motm for Ghana.

They should hold their heads up high. They put their hearts and soul into the tourney. No one can ask for more than that.

And I agree that Bradley should be kicking himself. I was boggled by some of his selections.

I agree about the puzzling selections for the starting 11 by Bob Bradley, but Ghana was the better team on the day, and fully deserved the win. On the penalty given to the U.S., it seemed to me that the defender got the ball, and that Dempsey fell over him afterwards. Is that a penalty? The commentators on ESPN felt so, but I am not so sure about that.

Archived