Drogba nominated for Ballon d'Or

footballoholic

Spain dominate Ballon d'Or list as no English players are nominated

Cesc Fábregas, Didier Drogba and Asamoah Gyan are the only Premier League players on the 23-man shortlist for the prestigious Fifa Ballon d'Or award. There are no English players on the list.

World Player of the Year nominees:

Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fábregas (Spain), Diego Forlán (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Julio Cesar (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Müller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain).

World Coach of the Year nominees:

Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea), Vicente del Bosque (Spain), Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Pep Guardiola (FC Barcelona), Joachim Low (Germany), José Mourinho (Inter Milan/Real Madrid), Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay), Louis Van Gaal (Bayern Munich), Bert van Marwijk (Holland) and Arsène Wenger (Arsenal).

LINK

Drogba and Carlo are there as expected. I could argue for Lampard with 27 goals from midfield. The list is mostly dominated by players who did well at the world cup. But Gyan??:shok:

Spain dominate Ballon d'Or list as no English players are nominated (Guardian)

World Player of the Year nominees: Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fábregas (Spain), Diego Forlán (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Julio Cesar (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Müller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), David Villa (Spain) and Xavi (Spain).

The chances of Didier winning it are slim but it's nice to see him in the running.

FIFA are also doing a World Coach of the Year and Carlo has been rightly nominated in that, but somehow so has Wenger, a manager that has won nothing for 5 years!!

World Coach of the Year nominees: Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea), Vicente del Bosque (Spain), Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Pep Guardiola (FC Barcelona), Joachim Low (Germany), José Mourinho (Inter Milan/Real Madrid), Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay), Louis Van Gaal (Bayern Munich), Bert van Marwijk (Holland) and Arsène Wenger (Arsenal).

world player of the yea nominee: miroslav klose.....you gotta be sh*tting me

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

He scored 6 goals in 42 matches for Bayern...... as a striker

Lampard scored 27 as a midfielder for us but doesnt make it on that f**king list??

cant believe it really

Where is D. Milito btw ??

And Falcao ?

Gyan what the fark? somehow casillias always ends up on that list doesnt matter how sh*t of a season hes had

world cup winning captain is always going to get a mention. im annoyed that lamps didnt make it, lets be honest if gerrard had returned those same stats he would be a frontrunner to win the damn thing. Even more ridiculous that lampards exclusion is milito's exclusion. That is completly unnacceptable, if Milito was on it he should be in the top 5 come the end. Scored the majority of the goals in winning the scudetto, scored the winning goal in the italian cup and scored a number of important goals in the CL including against us and of course 2 in the final. an absolute farce.

and what on earth is eto'o doing there over milito???

A valid point, all the same i will be very disappointed if sneijder does not get it. Was such an influential player for his club in a treble winning season and in getting a team that nobody was backing to a world cup final.

Farcical is kind to that. How a month long tournament has more bearing than the rest of the season makes little sense.

Milito is the perfect example as others have mentioned. He put away scores of goals and won a treble, and probably would have scored more at the WC if Maradona wasn't such a moron to pick Higuain ahead of him, yet Klose makes the list and he doesn't.

The one deserving Chelsea player I haven't seen mentioned in outrage is Florent Malouda, so I'll mention him. If I even need to make the case to you, then you're either a bear who has been hibernating for the best part of the last year or an idiot in which case I won't bother.

One final point, Christ the powers that be in this sport are morons.

Since we had the World Cup this year, that award means nothing. It's enough to have a look at that list of players to realise that performances in the World Cup means everything.

I mean, look at Klose. I really like that player, but last year he was rubbish for his club and didn't even get to play that much. But as usual he was brilliant in the World Cup. Lampard was brilliant for Chelsea, but like the rest of the England players he was crap during the World Cup.

The same can be said about Rooney. He was amazing for ManU last season and carried the team. One of the top-3 strikers in the world. But a crap World Cup and he's not even on this list.

Ozil wasn't exactly mind blowing during the season, but had an excellent WC.

Anyway, I think Sneijder will win it and few can say he don't deserve it. Either him or Messi.

How Tevez hasnt made that list is beyond me. The guy is just on fire and has been for a complete calendar year and played better than Messi at the world cup. Diego Milito as well.

Klose has scored 13 goals this year, Gyan managed 14 in two seasons.

Ashley Cole, maybe Lampard and as much as it pains me, Shrek (although he has been sh*t since March), should be on there as well.

To be fair the Ballon d'or winner is normally a lot more credible than Giggs' joke player of the year award in England. If you look at the winners over the years then they are normally a player who has had a fine year - OK there will always be disagreements on who the player of the year was but the winner is usually someone that merits their place as a strong contender.

It is also made more credible by the fact that the journalists who vote are based all over the world now whereas it used to only be European based journalists.

Archived