Have we lost the Chelsea Aura ?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Rewind to end of last season , ending it on a high , beating teams 6-1 , 8-1 , 7-2 !

New season , started well beating teams on 6-0 and what not.

Benayoun injured , frankie injured , essien suspended.

Suddenly we are out of depth and every premier league manager thinks he has a chance against us.

I am not sure yet if we can regain the chelsea aura which was build up and teams are scared to play against us. Is it possible to have it back this season especially or its too late for that now.

Or should we concentrate on a top 4 position(practically impossible) and concentrate on winning the holy grail this season(hey winning the PL last season had something to do with an early CL exit no) ?

We absolutely have lost the Aura. Teams used to come to the Bridge playing with 1 striker and loading the mid and defense with 10 and HOPING for a breakthrough on a counter. Now teams in the second half of the table are coming to the Bridge playing with 2 and 3 forwards and taking the game to us from the whistle.

Edited by Saaladin

In recent times we have set very high standards that it is easy to become used to. Record goals scored & points totals, great runs and undefeated at The Bridge during the Mourinho era etc etc. Just as we became used to being a side that was not going to challenge for major trophies for a 25 year period, we have got used to being a successful team that just doesn’t lose many games. That has clearly changed and it’s a bit of a wake up call for many. I don’t think you can apportion blame as nothing lasts forever and we all knew how difficult it would be to replace certain key players who are, unfortunately for us, now seeing their careers on a downward spiral.

So yes, we have definitely lost that “aura†and it will take some time and team rebuilding to get it back. Last season – that’s the whole of last season, we dropped 28 points. After 20 games this season, we have already dropped 25. That is a drastic turnaround – although some say we are still only going through a “blipâ€!!

I would go further and say the aura around all the top clubs has slipped as seen by the way teams now go to them and attack and go for wins, a la West Brom, Newcastle, sunderland etc.. Even last night Stoke attacked Man Utd more in one game than the entirity of the past 3 seasons they have played them.

I haven't lost my Chelsea aura.

Makes me think of when Bluebeard and I were standing outside a pub having a pint and these two blokes came out for a fag, took one look at us and said "your Chelsea ain't yer"

I haven't lost my Chelsea aura.

Makes me think of when Bluebeard and I were standing outside a pub having a pint and these two blokes came out for a fag, took one look at us and said "your Chelsea ain't yer"

Those neck tatoo's are always a bit of a giveaway!

The only team that has any aura in Europe today is Barcelona. Apart from that none of the other clubs seems to have any semblence of aura as most of them seem beatable be it home/ away. Full credit to Barcelona for maintaining their aura if not add to it by whipping Real by 5 goals. Specific to our league, even United are just about scraping to results at home as we saw last night against Stoke and most of our rivals continue to drop points home and away.

Edited by Maverick

And that's relevant how? :)

As the title was "Have we lost the Chelsea Aura" I assumed he meant we i.e. those who post on here ;-)

Now had it said "Has Chelsea lost its aura of supremacy" now that's a different can of worms

Edited by Tim W

The only team that has any aura in Europe today is Barcelona. Apart from that none of the other clubs seems to have any semblence of aura as most of them seem beatable be it home/ away. Full credit to Barcelona for maintaining their aura if not add to it by whipping Real by 5 goals. Specific to our league, even United are just about scraping to results at home as we saw last night against Stoke and most of our rivals continue to drop points home and away.

I'm in total agreement with that statement.

If we are in the market for a centre back I don't believe Cahill is the answer for 20 million quid.

We should continue with Bruma as the backup for Alex and play Ivan at right back which is his best position.

The other option would be to sign a world class centre back as a replacement for Carvalho.

Much depends how long John Terry will last. I guess another two or three seasons.

Unless Turnbull shows improvement another backup keeper deserves consideration.

Ancelotti is playing his cards close to his vest but has stated he's looking for young experienced players to make an immediate impact.

It will be interesting to see if Carlo pays a visit to the January transfer window.

Ideally it would be wonderful if Ancelotti brought in his own assistant. Perhaps Paulo Maldini.

What a boost that would be for the Chelsea Aura!

A player who fits the young and experienced model perfectly is Wesley Sneijder. There is also a realistic possibility considering how poorly Inter are doing and the fact they may not even qualify for CL. He has everything we need in a player and the experience also.

Although I think it would be realistic for Chelsea if they attempt to buy him from Inter, I doubt they will attempt.

A player who fits the young and experienced model perfectly is Wesley Sneijder. There is also a realistic possibility considering how poorly Inter are doing and the fact they may not even qualify for CL. He has everything we need in a player and the experience also.

Although I think it would be realistic for Chelsea if they attempt to buy him from Inter, I doubt they will attempt.

Wesley Sneijder is not a bad choice but I prefer Bastian Schweinsteiger as he's a more versatile footballer.

I believe he'd be the ideal replacement for Michael Ballack.

Last season – that’s the whole of last season, we dropped 28 points. After 20 games this season, we have already dropped 25. That is a drastic turnaround – although some say we are still only going through a “blipâ€!!

Just riding along on the crest of a slump.....someones gonna kop for an hiding!!! real soon........................ ::ChELSeAFaN::

Not doing a bad job of that ourselves ........................

As the title was "Have we lost the Chelsea Aura" I assumed he meant we i.e. those who post on here ;-)

Now had it said "Has Chelsea lost its aura of supremacy" now that's a different can of worms

haha , nice play of words. But i definitely dint mean what you thought.

I definitely respect the fact that you guys are probably fans since 30-40 odd years but we younger people who have been fans since 10-11 years also love the club no less.

I still think Man Utd still has a perception of 'already lost' match with the weaker teams which is missing against us and rightly so as their performances have matched it.

It will be hard work , but it looks like a remote possibility , for this season , for weaker teams to fear us the way they did at the start of the season.