Vintage Blues pictures and film

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

main product photo

Chelsea v Racing Club Paris official programme 07/10/1936 Friendly Match, 4 pages.

A ‘Glamour Friendly Match ‘  v Racing Club de Paris. Unfortunately , we lost the match 1 - 3.

They were the French Champions in 1935/36

I would assume there was an early afternoon kick off..

Edited by erskblue

9 hours ago, erskblue said:

Chelseas-Bobby-Tambling.jpg Chelsea's Bobby Tambling (R) slots his team's first goal past Arsenal goalkeeper Jim Furnell

Kerry Dixon after scoring vs Arsenal at Highbury. [1984]

Best I can do, sorry.

Edited by erskblue

1 hour ago, erskblue said:
Kerry Dixon after scoring vs Arsenal at Highbury. [1984]

Best I can do, sorry.

What a day that was > early kick off > rammed away end > Dixon hitting the ball towrads lukic > shot is saved and Dixon t w a t s with a bounce goal bound > time stands still with the overflowing clock end > 1-1 > pure joy > game ends then iam on the lash all day and nite > train back up NORTH and iam round donny untill kicking out time > last pub of the night was allways the highbar back then ,i crawl in on my hands and knees going up the stairs with no end of donnywhites and donny lads just putting whatever money has fallen out of my pockets back into my pockets > pissed as a newt 

ON THIS DAY – CHELSEA 1985/86 

NOVEMBER 23, 2019 
premierprogs.co.uk.
Thought this was worth a read. 

The subject of today’s On This Day feature is Chelsea’s programme from the 1985/86 season. Read our full review below and click here to see all the Division One issues for the season.

Chelsea_85-86.jpg?resize=212%2C300&ssl=1

Chelsea’s programme for the 1985/86 season was a 28-page issue that offered 23.5 pages of content. This provided plenty of space for some readable features.

An introductory ‘Welcome’ column reflected on recent developments with Chelsea’s positive form having put them in the top three of the First Division. The column also referred to the international exploits of striker Kerry Dixon, who had just won his first full cap for England against Northern Ireland after three appearances in friendlies the previous summer. There was a one-page column from manager John Hollins, who looked back at Chelsea’s recent results, including progress on penalties away at West Bromwich Albion in the Full Members Cup (which Chelsea would go on to win later in the season). There were colour photographs of Chelsea’s 4-2 win against Nottingham Forest, whilst there were also three pages of pictures from the victory at the Hawthorns, including images of each of the Blues’ successful spot-kicks.

The best reading in the programme was ‘Chelsea’s Top Goalscorers’, written by historian Scott Cheshire. Over the season, the recurring feature looked at the most prolific marksmen in Chelsea’s history, with the focus in the Villa programme on Ron Tindall, who played for the club between 1955 and 1962. Tindall, who scored on his debut against West Bromwich Albion in November 1955, was described in the column as a loyal and versatile player who spent time playing as a left-back as well as up front. At the time of writing Tindall was the 12th highest scorer in Chelsea’s history, with 70 goals to his name.

Another feature of interest was ‘Out of the Blue’, a two-page interview with one Chelsea player, here featuring defender Keith Dublin. The promising left-back had won Chelsea’s Young Player of the Year award in 1983 but then struggled to establish himself in the first team due to injury issues. Chairman Ken Bates penned his usual column under the heading ‘Straight Talking’. As well as commenting on football matters, Bates referred to supporter behaviour and the club’s efforts to root out troublemakers, as well as the discovery of various historic documents dating back to the birth of the club in 1905. Captain Colin Pates also contributed a column, while ‘Bridge Talk’ was a page of news from around the club that included a physio report from Norman Medhurst and Jimmy Hendry. A detailed stats section included the usual first-team results and fixtures spread alongside the league table and appearance records. There was a page for the club’s reserve team, which analysed their performance in the Football Combination, whilst the youth team’s performances in the South East Counties league received similar treatment.

Visitors Aston Villa were covered over two pages in ‘Facing the Blues’. The main article in the section looked at Villa’s recent history following their league title and European Cup wins in the early part of the decade, as well as the club’s transfer activity under Graham Turner. There was a ‘Who’s Who’ of the Villa squad and a profile of forward Simon Stainrod. Described as “an entertaining striker who likes to try the unexpected”, Stainrod had hit four goals on his debut for Villa in the Milk Cup a few months earlier. The section also included details of Villa’s post-war results against Chelsea and a full summary of the record of match-ups between the two clubs.

Certainly among the better issues for the 1985/86 season, the Chelsea programme was notable for the amount of reading material included, with the ‘Goalscorers’ column a stand-out feature.

Found this footage from the 1965-66 season. FA Cup 3rd round and Chelsea get revenge for the semi-final defeat the previous season. You beat the losing finalists, Leeds 1-0 in the 4th round and lost to Wednesday in the semis. We lost to Everton 0-1 in the other semi, a game yours truly attended at Burnden Park.

Edited by Stretford Ender

Just now, Stretford Ender said:

Found this footage from the 1965-66 season. FA Cup 3rd round and Chelsea get revenge for the semi-final defeat the previous season. You beat the losing finalists, Leeds 1-0 in the 4th round and lost to Wednesday in the semis.

Cheers🍻

1989/90. 
The strip we wore for 1989/90 was my oldest son’s first ever Chelsea home top. As he got married not that long ago.  Seeing that picture, actually makes me feel quite old.

Edited by erskblue

1 hour ago, erskblue said:
1989/90. 
The strip we wore for 1989/90 was my oldest son’s first ever Chelsea home top. As he got married not that long ago.  Seeing that picture, actually makes me feel quite old.

Not one of my favourite kits design wise, but reminds me of those great days, I was 20/21 and like many of us at that age we thought we were invincible! Now I must look for a Tardis on ebay

On 05/10/2020 at 18:18, erskblue said:

Chelsea F.C.

Chelsea F.C. have gone through five distinct crest designs in their 112 years as a professional football club to date; strangely none featured on player shirts until 1960. The first crest was introduced with the club’s establishment in 1905, featuring a famous Chelsea Pensioner which gave rise to their early nickname. Viewing this tagline as an embarrassment, former-star player-turned coach Ted Drake instigated a redesign in 1952. This new logo was based on club’s initials intertwined cipher-style, helping establish The Blues nickname.

The 1953-54 season saw a new crest inspired by the civic coat of arms of the London borough the club resided in. Notable for the heraldic lion, this crest is the one most readily identified with Chelsea and became the first to adorn a club shirt in 1960. The complex design did, however, result in simpler variations being used on successive shirts. The growing popularity of football and the merchandising opportunities this gave rise to saw a new crest based around the club’s initials and a more realistic lion established in 1986. Representative of the divisive Ken Bates era, this crest was unpopular and was replaced with a design redolent of the classic Chelsea F.C. crest ahead of the club’s centenary year. It remains in place to this day.

- - - - - - 

Written by Tony Poland

• Chelsea_06_grande.jpg?v=1498038966
  • Chelsea_05_grande.jpg?v=1498038966
  • Chelsea_04_grande.jpg?v=1498038937
  • Chelsea_03_grande.jpg?v=1498038975
  • Chelsea_02_grande.jpg?v=1498038947
  • Chelsea_01_grande.jpg?v=1498038966

thefootballcrestindex.com

What about the 1955 shirt crest?

1826_3.jpg

1 hour ago, Backbiter said:

What about the 1955 shirt crest?

1826_3.jpg

I stand corrected. Cheers.

Taken from historicalkits.co.uk

chelsea_logo_1952.jpg

In 1952 Ted Drake took over as manager and he replaced the pensioner crest with a more business like monogram on a shield.

This badge never appeared on the team's shirts. Drake's workmanlike team broke the mould when Chelsea won the League Championship for the first time in 1955. 

Edited by erskblue

13 hours ago, chi blue said:

Not one of my favourite kits design wise, but reminds me of those great days, I was 20/21 and like many of us at that age we thought we were invincible! Now I must look for a Tardis on ebay

There’s a few of ‘a certain Chelsea Vintage‘ on here who would like a Tardis. 😀