Alvaro Pereira

Star
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

First thing is that Sky currently class this story no higher then speculation:

Speculation:

Sky Sports sources understand Chelsea have made a bid to sign defender Alvaro Pereira from manager Andre Villas-Boas' former club Porto

Good old Sky Sports sources, eh.

And secondly why the panic over Van Aanhold and Ryan Bertrand? Barring injury, it's going to be extremely different for either of them to get much playing time with us this season, let alone both of them. As I understand it, it's already been decided that PVA is going out on loan. I haven't heard anything about Ryan Bertrand going anywhere this season yet, but if he does go for another loan period, the possibility is that it might actually be to his benefit. Or he might be staying with the squad as backup, we don't know.

Agree that Pereira looks like a pointless signing though.

Edited by Hutch

Maybe Villas-Boas intends to play Mata in the middle or on the right, but at the risk of sounding extremely ungrateful, I still can't see the point of blowing £20m on Pereira (not that he's in any way a bad player). This would be pretty bad news for Kakuta, Van Aanholt and Bertrand, all of whom I deem to be extremely promising.

In addition... why didn't we just keep Zhirkov?

If, and a big IF, these rumors have any truth to them then is it really pointless? AVB must have seen something in this player that is missing from our squad.

If, and a big IF, these rumors have any truth to them then is it really pointless? AVB must have seen something in this player that is missing from our squad.

Sorry I should have added the following emphasis:

I agree that Pereira looks like a pointless signing.

Didnt Mata say he talked with AVB and was convinced to join Chelsea because AVB had great plans for him in our 4-3-3 system? so unless mata plays on the right side this is a rather pointless signing!

Unless he wants a replacement for Malouda if Mata is to play RW.

Didnt Pereira play most of the last season on the right side tho?

Edited by Andreas

Well, if we do send both Bertrand and PVA on loan signing Pereira actually makes sense. From what I understand he can effectively cover two postions - left back and a left winger so in one player we can have a competition and cover for both Ash and Malouda.

My point was more about the plight of our youngsters. Bertrand is already 22 and has been through five different clubs in loan arrangements. Van Aanholt is a few days from turning 21 and has been on loan three times over the last two years. At some point you either have to start playing them or let them go somewhere where they can progress their careers.

Edited by abramovich

I agree abramovich. I think that by 21, 22 years old you should have developed enough as a player to either be ready to start fighting for a place in the squad or moving on to a club with a level of squad ability to be able to fight for a place.

Sending out 22 year olds on more loans while investing in 20m pound 25 year old players on probably 4 or 5 year contracts suggests they are very unlikely to make it at Chelsea.

Personally I can't see this rumour coming true. Let's get Modric or Hazard please.

Don't forget that JT was around the same age as Van Aanholt when he went on loan to Forest. Ryan Bertrand, on the other hand, is a couple of years older, so ideally should be staying at the Bridge to fight for a place in the starting lineup. However, even if he does go out on loan again, I don't think we should necessarily write him off as a future Chelsea prospect.

First thing is that Sky currently class this story no higher then speculation:

Good old Sky Sports sources, eh.

And secondly why the panic over Van Aanhold and Ryan Bertrand? Barring injury, it's going to be extremely different for either of them to get much playing time with us this season, let alone both of them. As I understand it, it's already been decided that PVA is going out on loan. I haven't heard anything about Ryan Bertrand going anywhere this season yet, but if he does go for another loan period, the possibility is that it might actually be to his benefit. Or he might be staying with the squad as backup, we don't know.

Hutch, my cousin works in the 'Post Office Tower' he gets links first from Sky, apparently at the Romeu/Lukaku Press Conference the big fat bloke who was a security guard years ago and went on tour to Asia let it out the bag.

100% a bid for 20 million is in, like everyone says Bertrand and PVA must be feeling terrible, it sends out the wrong message but I guess we all know

AVB was going to bring someone in from Porto.

Hutch, my cousin works in the 'Post Office Tower' he gets links first from Sky, apparently at the Romeu/Lukaku Press Conference the big fat bloke who was a security guard years ago and went on tour to Asia let it out the bag.

100% a bid for 20 million is in, like everyone says Bertrand and PVA must be feeling terrible, it sends out the wrong message but I guess we all know AVB was going to bring someone in from Porto.

No offence, but I'd prefer to wait for something a little more concrete. And as I wrote earlier, Van Aanholt is 20, JT was 20 when he went on loan to Forest. Ok, I know he came close to being sold to Huddersfield that time, but in the long run, going on loan didn't do JT any harm.

IF this rumor has any truth I'd start having doubts about AVB's plan regarding our youngsters. I dont think any of the big clubs across Europe can boast such talent for the LB position as us. Behind the best LB in the world, there are two young players who are more than capable of getting into any bar top two three teams in PL. Signing Periera would just mean AVB is more concerned about his job than we think and isn't really serious about giving chance to the players coming through the youth system.

Sky have now added an article to go with the earlier speculation:

Chelsea in for Pereira

Blues make bid for Porto star

Sky Sports sources understand that Chelsea have made a bid for Porto midfielder Alvaro Pereira.

Blues boss Andre Villas-Boas worked with the 25-year-old Uruguay international before he joined the Premier League side this summer.

But it is now believed that Pereira could be following his former coach to Stamford Bridge, with the London club looking to replace Yuri Zhirkov who has joined Russian outfit FC Anzhi Makhachkala.

Pereira would fill that void after gaining a reputation as a highly rated wing-back.

Chelsea are the highest spenders of all 20 Premier League clubs this summer, with Juan Mata the latest signing, joining from Valencia for £26m.

Pereira began his career in Uruguay with Miremar Misiones and spent time at Quilmes and Argentinos Juniors before moving to Europe to play for Romanian side CFR Cluj.

He made the move to Porto in 2009 and played a significant part in their treble winning side under Villas-Boas last year.

It is understood that Pereira has a £25m release clause.

LINK

I'll just add that this rumour has been around for a while. Yesterday one of those mickey mouse sites was reporting that we'd put in a bid for both Pereira and Van Der Wiel. So you'll have to excuse me if I remain a little sceptical.

Reading around it seems this bloke is a very versatile player, can play as either full back equally well (spent most of the time last season at either right back or right wing), either wing and can also play centrally. Sounds a very useful player to have in the squad, and I think we all agree we need a RB.

20-25 mill for a back-up? Bossy and Ivan can play the spot and they are not that bad.

Maybe this was some sort of back-up if either Mata-deal or Modric-deal won't happen, who knows..He can play as wing-back so maybe a pure winger role suits him as well.

AVB knows the man and he has just won Europa-league, Portugese-league and Copa America. Can't be that bad. Copa America is one of the toughest cups to win.