Should we sign the boy wonder?

aajblue

I fully appreciate that Michael Owen is not the player he once was, but that said, his ability (albeit somewhat sporadic now) is still apparent. We are looking a little thin up front and signing a big money striker could cause unrest with one particular spaniard. I wonder if Owen would do us a job if we offered him a one year contract. He's the type of hugely experienced striker that would come to a club like us and understand that he is not the first choice striker but would st be willing to play a bit part giving his all.

I know he's no spring chicken and there are clearly better strikers around the globe, but he's available, out of contract, experienced, professional and still hungry. There's no need to put him on silly money and if he does completely bomb, we can always look to bring in fresh blood in January, but I believe he could be a stop gap solution for a back up forward that we just don't have right now.

I'm not saying he's the solution or that he'll lead us to glory, but surely having him in the squad would at least give us options on the bench and be better than being left short in that area?

Short answer: No

Long answer: F**k No

We play one striker up front and we have nando, studge, moses, piazon all in our squad that I would all rather see playing up there. Yes he probably can still stick the ball in the net but he is not even close to the standard of player that we need in our squad.

We don't need a stop gap measure!!

Guest RFC_CFC

Neither Moses nor Piazon are out and out strikers, which leaves us with Nando and Studge......not convinced there's enough depth here. I just can't see Drogba will be back and official statements seem to confirm this.

We have goals all over the team though.

Moses, Torres, Studge, Mata, Lamps, Hazard, Oscar ect.

I really don't think scoring goals is going to be a major problem this season.

I really don't think scoring goals is going to be a major problem this season.

This is also my opinion based on the matches I've seen so far this season.

I'm also 100% confident that RDM has a solution if both Sturridge and Torres are injured/suspended. If he didn't then he would never had let Lukaku go on loan.

This is also my opinion based on the matches I've seen so far this season.

I'm also 100% confident that RDM has a solution if both Sturridge and Torres are injured/suspended. If he didn't then he would never had let Lukaku go on loan.

I agree, we do seem to have goals coming from across the park which can only be a good thing. Believe me, I don't think Owen is the answer, just figured if we're playing one up front then we will always need a target man, which is why I was so surprised to see Lukaku go, although it seems as though a bit of Prem experience at the Baggies could prove to be a shrewd mov for all parties. Time will tell I guess and I genuinely hope you're all right and that we don't need another striker.

Neither Moses nor Piazon are out and out strikers, which leaves us with Nando and Studge......not convinced there's enough depth here. I just can't see Drogba will be back and official statements seem to confirm this.

1. moses was a striker before he came to wigan

2. we dont need an out and out striker as our 3rd option

wouldnt mind Owen. Could see him getting 5-10 goals for us as a late sub striker.

I hear Ballack is also a free agent...if we sell Raul, then i am sure Ballack could be pursueded to come and add some grit to the double pivot.

fully agree.

Archived