Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeta

Smartphones

So I'm thinking of buying one of these Smartphone things and I found this on Amazon which looks okay and has good reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Android-tablet-MTK6575-Cortex-standby/dp/B0081FCY46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348569660&sr=8-1

But I'm somewhat confused... I can't work out what the actual Model or Make of it is... Looking at phone websites, you generally have something like: "Nokia Lumia 610" or "HTC Desire" or some other name, but that doesn't seem to have anything like that.

I've tried searching for "Star N8000" and "N8000" as well as "MTK6575", but I can't seem to find any other websites that sell that phone, all I generally get in the results are a load of youtube videos and forum threads.

Can anyone tell what that phone actually is? So that I can see if I can find it elsewhere rather than a random seller on Amazon.

Cheers.

I'd have thought that was a Phone from China...Dual sim and on 1gb would make me assume that.

To my Knowledge Samsungs don't come with the Dual Sim and have been more than 1 gig since the Galaxy 1.

I'm sure Geezer would know more but I've had the Galaxy s1 s2 and now s3 (never had the note) and think they are pretty good but none had dual sim slots which would be handy.

It's definitely a Chinese knock off, but judging by the reviews it seems to be a good one.5"

5" is actually huge for a phone too. I've just jumped from an iPhone 4 (3.5") to a Samsung Galaxy S3 (4.8") and the difference is astounding.

So if someone wanted a sort of average size smartphone, for a reasonable price (less than 200), (An Android one so I could download the GOogle maps audio satnav thingy), what would people suggest? I honestly have no idea about phones any more, it's years and years since i bought one.

So if someone wanted a sort of average size smartphone, for a reasonable price (less than 200), (An Android one so I could download the GOogle maps audio satnav thingy), what would people suggest? I honestly have no idea about phones any more, it's years and years since i bought one.

I just sold a galaxy s2 for £200 and it was like brand new, I also sold a Sony Xperia S again mint for £150...both of these I offered to mates for those prices as they are both really good phones but nobody needed one at the time so I sold them to Envirophone...gotta say I found the Sony surprisingly good and would recommend either one if you could get a mint one for less than your £200.

I'd definitely recommend Sony Xperia Arc S, had a massive drop in price, used to cost as much as the s2 and its pretty much equal to it besides samsungs amoled screen and a slightly faster processor.

I own one and I love it, does the job and its the perfect size.

Out of interest, how are the people that are on the S3 finidng it? and eshpesialy any one that has moved from an Iphone, i'm 90% sure im about to purchase it but just wanting final oppinions please

Ive an S2 which I have rooted and put Jellybean on, the rom also doesnt have the god awful touchwiz sh*te on it. If you want a knock off from China then go for a Goophone.

Out of interest, how are the people that are on the S3 finidng it? and eshpesialy any one that has moved from an Iphone, i'm 90% sure im about to purchase it but just wanting final oppinions please

I had an iphone mate for 2 years and been on the S2 for a while now, possibly 6 months or so. Great phone, much prefer it to the iphone...obviously the S3 would be even better but this phone does all I need and more.The big screen is very nice for browsing etc.

Theres a lot of good phones out there now .

Ive an S2 which I have rooted and put Jellybean on, the rom also doesnt have the god awful touchwiz sh*te on it. If you want a knock off from China then go for a Goophone.

Whats the touchwiz stuff? I haven't rooted my S2, its running ICS... but I would be interested to know more about rooting it. Is it difficult to do and what are the benefits?

Whats the touchwiz stuff? I haven't rooted my S2, its running ICS... but I would be interested to know more about rooting it. Is it difficult to do and what are the benefits?

Its piss easy mate, and you can use all sorts of custom roms that others have made. Touchwiz is Samsungs own user interface, basically the front end and its not that good. If you fancy rooting your phone go to the XDA forums, best place Ive found for info.

If I wanted to root my phone would I need to wipe the phone etc?

Not when you root it, but when you change to a different ROM you do. But, you can download something called "Titanium Backup" once its rooted which backs up everything to your SD card. then when you wipe the phone and change ROM you just reinstall Titanium Backup and it puts everything back on. Most of the tutorials help you do this.

So tempted to root my S3, from previous experiences of jailbreaking (iPad, iPhone, Apple TV - none have gone smoothly) I'm a bit apprehensive though!

I didnt like the jailbreak for the iphone. i couldnt find anything really amazing about it apart from getting rid of that stupid magazine store app that cant be put in a folder. gets right on my tits that app.

But apart from that i dont see the point.

I initially jail broke the iPhone 3gs but later restored it and couldn't be bothered re-jail breaking it.

Now I have a galaxy s3 and a nexus 7, which I admit is kinda overkill.