Q & A vs. Manchester United

Hello all again, I come in peace.

I am the creator of a Manchester United website called Stretford End Arising.

I am currently in the process of putting together a match preview for Chelsea vs. Manchester United. Normally match previews on Stretford End Arising include the thoughts of an opposition fan(s) with the aim of offering a balanced view.

We have done this previously:

http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2011/09/16/manchester-united-vs-chelsea-match-preview-2/

http://www.stretfordendarising.com/2010/12/20/other-side-of-coin-chelsea-fans-on-postponement-wilkins-ancelotti-and-more/

A link to theshedend.com will be included in the published article.

Cheers,

Andrew

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is Roberto Di Matteo likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Di Matteo look to exploit?

2. Can you envisage Di Matteo becoming Chelsea’s long term manager? Do you want him to become Chelsea’s long term manager? What are your thoughts on him?

3. What are your feelings about John Terry retaining the captaincy of the club, following being found guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand? Do you feel the punishment was appropriate?

4. How have Hazard and Oscar fared so far?

5. What are your thoughts on signing Fernando Torres? Is he slowly starting to show signs of regaining top form? Or will he never match the form he showed for Liverpool?

Should be a good game, Utd have a deadly pair of strikers but a weak midfield and defense, thats what Di matteo will look to exploit using Hazard, Oscar and Mata. For mation is easy, 4-2-3-1.

Cech

Ivanovich Luiz Cahill Cole

Ramires Mikel

Mata Oscar Hazard

Torres

2.Hard to tell, all Chelsea fans want him to succeed and so far he's certainly exceeded expectations.

3.Captain. Leader. Legend, theres only one chelsea captain while Terry is fit and playing for us. Also he wasn't found guilty of racially abusing anyone, the court of law cleared him and the FA charged him with misconduct.

4.Both came in with a bang, have curtailed off a bi, but still two of our top players. Capable of winning games by themselves.

5.Terrible investment, he's getting better, but he'll never get back to the player he was, not even close. Weakest part of our team atm, certainly our attack anyways.

1. What are your thoughts on Sunday’s game? What team is Roberto Di Matteo likely to select and what formation will he adopt? What weaknesses in United’s team will Di Matteo look to exploit?

Should be an interesting game, especially as we play again a few days later. Our formation rarely changes, so 4-2-3-1 looks very likely.. As above, Di Matteo will try to exploit United's midfield and defence, and if I were him I'd employ a sniper on the roof to take out Van Persie as early as possible.

2. Can you envisage Di Matteo becoming Chelsea’s long term manager? Do you want him to become Chelsea’s long term manager? What are your thoughts on him?

If things continue as they are, then there's no reason not to keep Di Matteo on. He was a great player for Chelsea, and I'd love him to stay - he's not too experienced as a manager yet, but he's learning all the time.

3. What are your feelings about John Terry retaining the captaincy of the club, following being found guilty of racially abusing Anton Ferdinand? Do you feel the punishment was appropriate?

John Terry is and always will be a Chelsea legend, a great defender and leader. JT was never found guilty of racial abuse, and the case should never have made it to court - nobody on the pitch heard exactly what was said, and the only so called 'evidence' came from a plethora of amateur lip-readers. Trial by YouTube, the whole episode was a total joke, aided and abetted by the scum in the media. The FA just did what the press wanted by punishing Terry, but that was no surprise, the FA are almost as incompetent and corrupt as UEFA & FIFA.

Hazard has started the season brilliantly, and Oscar looks a superb signing too - hopefully he will soon become a regular first team starter. We probably won't see their best until at least next season though, so there's a lot to look forward to!

5. What are your thoughts on signing Fernando Torres? Is he slowly starting to show signs of regaining top form? Or will he never match the form he showed for Liverpool?

Torres is a bit of an enigma, he'll have two or three good games and then be anonymous in a couple. Having said that, he's not used to playing as main striker, but I'm confident he'll improve as time goes on. I doubt if he'll ever regain his Liverpool form, but I'd just be happy for him to score a hat-trick in front of the Kop and then have a sh*t in their keeper's hat by way of celebration! :wink:

[/b]name='Stretford End Arising' timestamp='1351191338' post='545144']

Cech - Cole, Luiz, Cahill, Ivanovic - Ramires, Mikel - Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Torres in a 4-2-3-1 Formation.

​Man U are weak at the back so I think we will channel all our effort in between Rio and Evans. Rio is past it and is susceptible to a burst of pace which I'm sure Hazard will look to exploit. I'm looking forward to the game, I think there will be goals and will be a massive say in the title race. I don't think City are in it this year. It's between Chelsea and United in my opinion.

​ Unfortunately no which is a shame. Every loyal Chelsea fan will tell you they hate the club ditching managers all the time. I thought the firing of Carlo was horrendous but I guess everything worked out in the end. I hope RDM is given the job on a more long term basis but I just don't see it happening. I think he's a cool customer. Knows his tactics. Knowns man management which is VITAL in todays game and he isn't afraid of making the big decisions like starting younger players, dropping key players (but still keeping them happy).

I love JT. He puts his heart and soul into every game and rarely has a bad one. It's a shame that his off-field antics are so magnified and brought into everyones opinion of him. The people outside Chelsea don't know what hes done for the youth players, and how helpful he is to all of them and the fans of the club. I'm sure you can find some of the stories on the internet of him helping cancer victims, attending youth games, paying younger players fines when he feels they have been a little harshly dealt with and even having a great relationship with the people from the bottom of the club right through. Yes, hes made mistakes, but who hasen't? Just because he's under media spotlight and his actions are made tenfold doesn't make him a bad person.

Excellent. Hazard has been an inspiration and Oscar...well, I love him already.

His role has changed. Now not the poacher was for Liverpool but now a Deep Lying Supporter for the more hungry players. His work rate is outstanding. I think a realistic target for him this season would be 15 goals and 15 odd assists. Thats an excellent record.

Sorry I couldn't write more, off to work. :(

My thoughts are there will be goals in it. Neither side has had a rock solid defense of late and the trio of Oscar, Mata and Hazard should create goals for us, where Valencia, Rooney and whoever else starts out wide will give RVP more than Arsenal gave him last year, when he murdered us at the Bridge.

Two options on the side imo, both 4-2-3-1, Cech, Brana, Cahill, Luiz, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Mata, Oscar, Hazard and Torres OR Cech, Brana, Cahill, Luiz, Cole, Mikel Lampard, Ramires, Mata, Hazard and Torres.

Same weakness United will look to get at us for the back line and the space between the deeper midfielders and the back four. Game will be decided based on who does better, RVP or our trio behind the striker, imo.

No Roman seems to have his heart on Pep and he usually gets what he wants.

Yes I do, he have earned it both with what he did last season, the way he has the side playing now and the dignified manner he conducts himself with.

Robbie is a legend, a great player robbed of his final years and a great emissary for Chelsea Football Club.

The whole issue is an absolute farce. What some of the players are doing with Kick it Out is a farce as well. We know JT is not perfect but if he was racist do you not think someone like Marcel Desailly or the Drog would have not knocked two shades of Sh*t out of him?

Of course he should still be captain, and everything that has surrounded this shows what a moaning nanny state we find the world in today.

Superb. So far quality signings that will hopefully be with us for many, many years.

That was a while back, but I did not want us to pay out a ridiculous fee for him. He still has quality but is not near the quality he was for Liverpool. Our forward options are, for me, our weakest area of the squad.

Our usual 4-2-3-1 is very likely. I think that Chelsea are going to try exploit the frankly questionable United defense, this works both ways however... the loss of John Terry and hit-and-miss performances of David Luiz are causes for concern.

I sure can, he pulled off a near-miracle last season and has helped us get off to a flying start this time around. It is still reasonably early days though so time will tell. I'd want to see him become the long term manager at the rate he's going.

As far as I see it John Terry was cleared of his accusations in a crown court and therefore should not have to answer to anything else. The recent scandal has just been the FA desperately trying to appease a liberal media by leading a witch hunt against our captain.

I would not be surprised if John decides that he's had enough and leaves the country full-stop, it would be sad to see it happen but i'm not writing it off.

Absolutely phenomenal, the combo of Mata/Hazard/Oscar in midfield has played merry-hell on so many of our opponents thus far. United will have an extremely hard time locking all three of them down, the difference in the quality of the midfields is staggering.

Torres is like marmite on this forum; some like his efforts whilst others absolutely hate him. I think that he is regaining his form largely thanks to the incredible midfield of Oscar/Mata/Hazard behind him. If I were a United supporter I would not write Torres off but suffice to say you should seriously concentrate on marking all three of our midfield aces.

Even then... doing that will open space for Torres...

It's a match that we need to win. United have generally finished the season strong, so any points we can put between us early are crucial. Based on the composition of our sides and current form, it's a match I'd expect to win, especially seeing as it's at home. I'd expect our team selection to remain unchanged. The usual back four in front of Cech, with Cahill drafted in to replace Terry whilst he serves his suspension, Ramires and Mikel in the double pivot, Mata, Hazard and Oscar across the front and Torres as the lone striker. The two major weaknesses that I see in United's team are that your midfielders are poor at tackling and your back four are poor at everything. There's plenty of quality up front and out wide, but you're vulnerable to a direct approach through the center. We have a tendency to crowd the middle of the pitch given that we essentially employ a trio of no. 10's, but this is an opponent where I think our lack of width will help rather than hinder us.

Yes, of course. There's lots of talk about how Roman wants exciting football, but if the football we're playing right now isn't exciting, then what is? His accomplishments in such a short period of time are outstanding, he has the trust and respect of the players and he has proven adept at dealing with an often hostile English media. Add to that his status as a Chelsea legend from his playing days and I see no reason at the moment that he shouldn't be cemented as our long term manager. A lot can change in a year's time, but I don't see this side falling apart. As long as we finish in the top 3 and put up a respectable defense of our European title, he should be safe. After all of that, my thoughts on him should be pretty clear. Tremendous person and he's proving week by week that he's quite the manager as well. In particular, I admire his awareness of what is and isn't working and his ability to adapt, when many other managers would remain stubborn. His substitutions have been excellent and have rescued multiple results already this year. There's no doubt that he's under a great deal of pressure, but so is every manager at a top club. The greats manage to thrive under it rather than crumble and early indications are that Robbie is quite cool in a tight spot.

With all due respect to the rest of the the team, anybody but Terry wearing the captain's armband would be a farce. His leadership is not in doubt. His ability as a footballer is not in doubt. Nobody who knows him thinks he's a racist. He gets on with all of his teammates, is a leader, a mentor, one of the toughest players in the world and never gives less than his all for the club. When it seemed that the whole of England had turned against him and he was unfairly stripped of his captaincy for England, he turned up anyway and was the best defender by an order of magnitude. There's only one Chelsea captain and everybody associated with the club knows it. As for the punishment, no, I don't think it was appropriate. There was no evidence. Terry was acquitted in a proper court, which is all that matters. The FA had an agenda and it was clear that they would punish Terry to save face and bow to pressure in the media from closet racists like Garth Crooks and blathering imbeciles like Herman Ouseley. The outcome of their hearing is unfortunate, but not unexpected. The saddest part, for me at least, is that dog and pony shows like this prevent us from having honest, meaningful discussions of racism and what can be done to combat it. Make no mistake, I don't deny that racism exists in the Premiership. Racism certainly exists in England and the Premiership is merely a microcosm of English society. Racism is an evil thing and should be combated, but not like this. Serious issues of this sort should not be a platform for people like Jason Roberts to get their fifteen minutes of fame, but John Terry is such an easy target because he's not well liked that few people dare to stand up and point out how farcical this all is. I'd feel the same way no matter what club I support.

As well as can be expected for such young players in their first exposure to English football. Both have had their moments of inconsistency, but overall I'm very excited by the quality they bring to the team. At times, Hazard would benefit from simplifying his game and not trying to do too much. He and Juan Mata have developed into a formidable duo and can change positions and terrorize defenses with their link up play. Oscar's biggest strength is his versatility. He's far and away the most defensively capable of our front three and has the most positional versatility as well. I would not be surprised if he turns out to be the best of the three eventually, but the fact that we have such a talented trio of attackers across the front whose best days are all ahead of them is incredibly exciting.

Never wanted him to begin with. Didn't think he was worth the money at his age and after sustaining the injuries he did at Liverpool. I'm assuming Roman was pressed for time because he never consulted me, but I forgive him. Once Torres joined us, naturally I wanted him to prove me wrong and perform at his best. It hasn't happened and probably never will. The Fernando Torres of 5 years ago is very likely gone forever. That said, he's still a useful player and probably underrated by most. He's scored a goal every other game, which is quite solid by Premiership standards and he's not a one dimensional center forward who can't contribute in other aspects of the game. The issue isn't really whether he's good or bad, because I think on the whole he's been good, but rather whether or not he's good enough for us. There's a ton of quality behind him and the feeling of many is that we simply need more up front to reach our full potential as a squad. There's certainly some truth to that, and I expect that Falcao will be coming in January, but I certainly don't think Torres has been a liability so far. He's done more good than bad, it's just that his bad moments are so infuriating to watch.

Same line up as Spurs with Ramires and Mikel marshaling the midfield behind the 3 magicians with El Nino up front. Chelsea doesn't have width, so Cole and Ivan needs to bomb forward to give some impetus. Most importantly, it would be important for the team to get behind the Utd back line. For Utd, most likely Rio and Evans will play in the back, so we can hit them with pace.

Every team dreams of having a club legend as a successful manager. RDM has done brilliantly till now and we hope the honeymoon continues for years and years. :)

Its a wrong question to ask Chelsea fans :smile: JT is the captain and will remain captain till the time he retires ::clap2::

Lets not go into the punishment part as we know what happens in a kangaroo court. Funny part is everyday a new Ferdinand is sticking their nose and informing the media how much injustice has happened. Anton, Rio, Les.....Sky or BBC might as well take the entire Ferdinand family and create an encyclopedia about it.

They have been good till now. I feel we haven't seen the best of them.

This is the season which will make or break his chelsea career.

I think he will play the same formation that he has been playing in recent weeks. I can't see Lampard featuring much, even if he is fit to play. He is simply being played out of the team. With Mikel and Ramires in the middle and our new creatives further up field, there isn't much room for him now, our style is changing.

Utd's defence is certainly topsy turvy at the moment and I can see us attacking directly with pace. I think our creatives will certainly create plenty of chances, but this game is always so unpredictable. I am however confident that we can and should win it. And only just. I can see that little pea toe rag scoring and possibly Rooney/RVP. |I just hope we outscore you!!

2. Can you envisage Di Matteo becoming Chelsea’s long term manager? Do you want him to become Chelsea’s long term manager? What are your thoughts on him?.

I really don't see why not, he has the respect of all the players, having played and won things with the club I believe helps massively. Also, with his calm approach and turning our season right around from AVB's tenure to go on and win the European cup was incredible and most unexpected. He has shown everyone that he is no mug. We have bought well in the summer and if results continue the way they have been, there's no question that he could and should stay on much longer than most would predict. I love his character and how cool he works with the press, never sour graped, always gracious and well mannered.

I will be the first to say Terry doesn't make things easy for himself. However I like most fans have been sickened at how much he is targeted in the press, its a disgusting witch hunt. I see no problem with him retaining the captaincy. He said something very stupid in the heat of the moment, it happens. Obviously not nice behaviour but any sane person would admit the whole situation has been blown entirely out of proportion and is absolutely ridiculous. People just need to get a grip and get on with it.

Both excellent, Oscar I believer even more so, this kid is special. Hazard is another great player, but there's something magical about Oscar. I think we haven't seen him anywhere near his peak yet either. Both have settled immensely and working with Mata, there aren't too many defenses where these guys wont cause problems.

He is the source of massive debates on this forum. I find him very frustrating to watch. I try my best to always support him but at times he just doesn't cut it. Its evident he still isn't quite right and may never recover again. He has lost pace and seems to want to take the ball round people too much. He gets caught in possession far too much for my liking.

He needs to become a poacher, or at least just stay in the box and move for the ball when the crosses or through balls come in. I think he is wasted outside the box.

I think our first team (without JT and Lamps at the moment) is 4231Probably Cech, Ivanovic, Luiz, Cahill, Cole, Mikel, Ramiries, Hazard, Oscar, Mata, Torres

Think we will be looking to attack Man utd, patricularly Rio, who I am afraid to say (as I wanted you to beat them) was found wanting badly against the Spuds. This comment has nothing to do with the current media nonsense

So far his record for us cannot possibly be beaten, if he continues on this track it will be stunning, I think and hope he will and manage Cheslea for many years, often these things happen in the fashion it did, albeit he has benefitted of not having the weight of expectation.

And he is a Chelsea legend and great with the press helps too. I think also what helps is he has the respect of the wider football commmunity

He is a brilliant captain and footballer first and foremost and a one club man, rare these days. Anyone with half a brain watches the full youtube clip carefully in slow motion, even if you are not a lip reader will see it completely corroborates his version of events. How in gods name did the FA pannel come to the conclusion they did !?

I think the abuse and victimisation Terry and his family have suffered over the years is nothing short of scandalous, not least the abuse he recieved from Anton during that very game... the Ferdinands have said that their family have suffered, how do you think JT's wife and children feel about the abuse the Ferdinand gave JT ?.. it's a disgusting hypocritical injustice... however he will bounce back he always does because he is a captain, leader and legend

The punishment is a lot more than the fines and suspension, he has lost his England Capataincy that was proabbly the second most important thing to him behind his family, his name has been unjustly tarnished and he has spent a fortune trying to clear his name (which he did in a court of law) At worst he is at fault for being a bit daft for repeating the phrase in public (that no one heard)

So far so good, really top signings and hopefully at Chelsea for sometime, Mata is flying now after a season climitisation in the EPL and looking for these two to really fly the back end of this season and forwards.

I am rare amoung Chelsea fans in that I think he is slowly becoming a club legend... he is actually playing very well. He is not the clinical finisher he was granted but I think you might see him in the top socrers charts come the end of the season. His goal against Barca and changing our fortunes when coming on in the CL finial have helped him no end and the one agaisnt Newcastle this season I thought was brilliant, his alround play at times is very intellegent.

Sure to be one humdinger of a game, full of excitement, frills, spills and goal mouth action which will equate to a few goals. (4 - 2) team Cech, Ivan, Cahill, Luiz, Cole, Ramires, Mikel, Mata, Oscar, Hazard and Torres, 4 2 3 1, your dogy defense

Certainly, he has done no harm to his prospects so far, long may it continue, it would be great if he can become a long term legend of a manager as he was as a player.

Same as they ever was, why would they not be. he was found NOT GUILTY by the due process of our legal system, the FA punishment was not only harsh, it was unjust, tried by a kangaroo court, set up by incompetent geriatrics under new rules set in place, to make sure he was found guilty as charged, any charge will do, but not of racial abuse mind, as the law of the land had already found him not guilty of that.

So far so good, hopefully through out their Chelsea careers they will be noted as Legends

The marmite question! he is nowhere near his best hopefully he will get better for us, but this year will be his definite year.

4-2-3-1 like we have seen for the last few weeks. Line-up almost picks itself at this point with Ivanovic, Cahill, Luis, Cole in defense, Mikel and Ramires in the pivot, Hazard, Oscar, and Mata in a free flowing attacking role behind Torres. Most likely we will look to attack United's suspect defense. I see alot of goals in this game to be honest since neither of us as been particularly good in defending.

I am getting so tired of changing managers to be honest and look forward to a spell of stability. So far RDM has been fantastic and should things continue I see no reason why he wouldn't be kept.

As has been said already he was found guilty of misconduct and not racial abuse. The punishment and the subsequent witch-hunt have been pretty ridiculous. Honestly makes me happy to not live anywhere in England because having to put up with the misrepresentations and character attacks would be too much for me. I think most would agree that Terry makes some questionable decisions sometimes but it is fair to say he is not racist and most likely not the disgusting perverted scumbag most would have you believe.

Exciting to say the least. These 2 additions and a change in formation has allowed us to play a much more fluid and entertaining style of football. Love them both and to think they are still just getting acclimated to the English game makes for an exciting future. Mata-Hazard-Oscar has the potential to be something very special over the next few years.

Was excited when he was signed but have given up hope that he will be the world beater he was for Liverpool. He contributes in a different way now and love that he hasn't given up. Every time a game starts I say a little prayer that maybe, just maybe today will be the day. The day he smashes 3 goals in 30 minutes and runs through defenses like they weren't there. Hasn't really happened yet but I guarantee you on Sunday, should he be selected, I will say that same prayer. Who knows maybe Sunday will be the day it all changes...

I think its going to be a really good game, I'm not predicting who will win, but it will be a great advert for the premier league. I expect both teams to line up as we would expect.

I hope he can become our long term manager, but I think Roman has his heart set on Pep, so Robbie needs to win the league to keep the job, Robbie is a Chelsea legend I couldn't think any higher of him!

Typical of the British media to let the facts get in the way of a good story, 1 of the first lines in the FA report states that John Terry is not a racist, bet you've not read that in any newspaper! JT is as much of a legend to us as Cantona is to you, he will be captain here until he retires. The punishment was unjust in that Ferdinand should also have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute as well for his part in that days action. Whilst on the subject of punishment, what was your thoughts on the laughable punishment for Rio with regards the 'Choc Ice' tweet??

Both players have been outstanding, as you will see on Sunday, I expect Rio to be crying by half time, and that clogger Evans will have been sent off long before then, none of your defenders have the ability to shackle our front 3, for your sake I hope your midfiled helps out your defence!

Torres is a good player he creates lots of space with good runs and links up well with the front 3, could he have scored more since he's been here, sure he could, but he's played every game this season and we're top of the league, so he's not doing badly!

I think we'll stick with the same team that beat Tottenham with the same formation. United's shaky defence and midfield, however it wouldn't shock me to see Carrick play a blinder against us.

If things continue the way they are its hard to argue that he shouldn't be. But personally I can see Pep Guardiola coming in as Roman has his heart set on him. I love Robbie he's done an outstanding job, the way we treat managers has to stop cause we're running out of options.

It was a joke he got found not guilty in a court of law yet the FA decided to ban him. Personally I think Anton should be done for trying to wind him up in the first place (its really a form of cheating if you think about it). But its happened we have to accept it and move on.

Been supeb, Hazard's not playing aswell as he was first few games but he still shows even when he's quiet he can make a game changing move or pass i.e. Tottenham. Oscar's impressed me most of the new signings to be honest, he's adapated very quickly to the physicality of the Premier League and can do some great attacking aswell as great defensive work.

Not been a £50 million player at all but has done quite well this season, his teamwork is exceptional at times but he has way too many games when he disapears. Personally I don't think he's ever gonna hit the heights he did at Liverpool but hopefully he can get 20+ goals this season, the critics are way too harsh on him but that comes with the price tag.

Archived