5 into 4 won't go

EmeraldBlue

We have five midfielders: Mikel and Ramires/Lampard in the more defensive positions and the three musketeers in front, with Torres the lone striker.

It seems to me that Torres plays well, contributes to the overall team performance but is constantly a half step away from being branded a failure if he doesn't score. Would an extra striker help? Then we have the dilemma of who to sacrifice in midfield.

Discuss

Guest RFC_CFC

We don't need another striker to play alongside Torres as goals come from all over the palce in Mata, Oscar, Hazard, Rambo ect.

What I would say is we could add a goalscorer to the team, a real poacher. Falcao gets mentioned all the time.

The way we set up if fine imo.

I've always prefered two strikers over the three attacking midfielders.

But since we're talking about sacrificing Mata, Hazard or Oscar to play Sturridge I am 100% behind the current 4-2-3-1.

If we get Falcao in january I would not mind moving Oscar down to play as in a deeper role and use Falcao and Torres up front with Mata and Hazard on the sides.

That would effectively be a 4-4-2/4-2-4 hybrid. However, for that formation to really work, the side midfielders would need to be more defensively solid than Hazard and Mata are at present. Also, neither may not track back enough.

Edited by DaRick

I've said from the beginning of the season we need a 3rd striker. Demba Ba was my suggestion and could have been useful.

I'm quite happy with our team apart from that though. I still don't like that we've only got Turnbull or Hilario to cover for Cech. If he gets injured we're in serious trouble unless we can recall Courtois.

I've always prefered two strikers over the three attacking midfielders.

But since we're talking about sacrificing Mata, Hazard or Oscar to play Sturridge I am 100% behind the current 4-2-3-1.

If we get Falcao in january I would not mind moving Oscar down to play as in a deeper role and use Falcao and Torres up front with Mata and Hazard on the sides.

so who are you dropping to allow fernando in the team, mikel or ramires ?

For this season only i believe we should leave things as they are. The first team is sh*t hot, and the squad extremely good too..I dont think we will buy or succeed in getting any of the names put about , as come jan the prices for CFC to buy them would have doubled and i believe Man city will always have the financial upperhand...(if players wished to come to England)..As has been pointed out, we have players in several positions able to score goals...We only lost to man utd coz of men being sent off...At the moment we are the best of english footy...IMO..no need to add or subtract from it..

Edited by Mike Carefree

Crucially Mike we're the best and yet there's still so much room for improvement in terms of our tactics.

I'm not saying rest on our laurels but I'm happy to allow young players to play in the event of an injury crisis and the quality of our first team and squad is right up there with Man City, Barcelona or Real Madrid. Once we learn to be more controlling of games we will see even more improvement.

There are only five or six players in the world capable of improving our first team significantly and of them, perhaps Falcao is the only one realistically available

Edited by SydneyChelsea