A Europa League Lineup WITHOUT Torres?

bobowardere

I think Benitez should really try to play a 4-3-3 in the Europa leauge against Sparta Prague at the Bridge. I think Torres really harms the team more then he helps us because his stats on how much he loses the ball are appauling, he is more likley to lose a 1on1 then any other player on the field, he has no strength or pace, and no need to even speak about his finishing. We should just take him out and play with a false 9 like Barcelona. I think that this lineup really suits almost every player, The defenders are obviously not affected positioning wise, so no need to worry about them. Now we can take a look position by position

Midfield

1. Luiz: He will be playing in  a CDM role, this is a role he has really excelled in and many believe this is perfect for him.
  2. Ramires: Now this is Ramires' preferred position, this is where he will REALLY shine, this is his natural postiion and you will get a lot of linkup play and running from him here!
  3. Oscar, now many people wanted to see Oscar playing in a slightly deeper postion and this is perfect, he will be on the ball a lot and he will get a lot of touches while linking up with the wingers and Mata. This is the same role he played in the Brazil vs England game where he was second to only Wilshere in his performance that night.

Attackers

1. Hazard: Now he will be somewhat playing the same way he has, except now he will be able to make nice darting runs beyond Mata and behind the defense, the same way Pedro does in Barca, this will utilize his pace and skill, and you can expect a lot more goals from him now.
  2. Moses: Same as Hazard, he will be able to run at the defense the same he has, but now he can use his pace to run behind the opposition defense and will now have a lot more chances coming his way
  3. Mata:  Now, this is a position I believe that Mata can be as good as his current position, although I think him behind a World Class striker would be slightly better, with our current squad for the Europa league I think this is his best position. He will be playing basically the Messi role, as a Center forward who will drop a bit into the midfield to get on the ball alot and he will definitely make chances which we know he can take, having scored more goals then Torres this season. He will also get to use his creativity to stockpile on assists with Hazard and Moses running into the spaces behind him and making even more chances.

Hazard                                                 Moses
                                                                                                              Mata

Oscar                 Ramires

Luiz

Cole                    Ivanovic             Terry            Azpiliceuta

Extra Info:

1. Full backs: Now in this line up the fullbacks will be pushing up more and will be more involved with the play, something both Cole and Azpilicueta are both great at.

2. We want of course to save Lampard for the PL, we want him to be as fresh as possible so he can break the record!!! We should only use him if he is crucially needed.

3. Mikel and Luiz are exchangeable they both look like they would do great in the CDM role, ofcourse Mikel would be a bit more disciplined and would add stability but you wont get the passing/vision of Luiz which is something he is quite good at, and the tackling ability. They both have different strengths and will bring you something a little different.
 4. Subs, didn't really talk about it, that's something you guys can decide for yourself, but I just put up what I believe to be our strongest starting 11.
5. If Terry doesnt look like his fit enough or doesn't play well in the FA Cup against Brentford then you can swap him out for Cahill.

What do you guys think??

I certainly think this formation will get the most out of Oscar and Ramires. I think 4-3-3 would suit all our plays more apart from our best, Mata. It will also suit Moses a lot more and maybe even Marin. We really have struggled to get width into our play, but a system like this should help us. I think it would work a lot better with a proper striker like Ba or Lukaku up front and Mata could play on either wing or in Oscar's role. However we probably wouldn't get the best out of Mata here.

We tried a striker less formation against Juventus. We lost 3-0.

What a retarded post. Are you just an idiot or do you not understand football at all? We played 5 in a back, trying to play for a draw, with HAZARD, our WINGER as the false nine, we played a 5-2-3, with hazard of all people our furthest forward, this is a completely different formation and play style.

For me, I too prefer a Striker like Ba up top....

Maybe this formation?

............................ Ba .........................

........ Hazard.................. Mata .........

......Oscar...........................Ramires...

.....................Luiz/Mikel....................

Have Ash and Ceaser bomb up the sidelines. Allow Mata and Hazard to interchange constantly giving nightmares to defenders with all that room. Plus Oscar and Ramires making those runs from a deeper position. And when Luiz is out there he too could provide some excellent runs up the middle. Lampard could switch off either Oscar or Ramires. Moses and Marin could be used off the bench, plus Oscar and Ramires too could be moved up. Next season recall DeBruyne and Lukaku to add more coverage. Begin working in Feruz and Nathan next season as well.

This is why I hope we get a Moyes over anyone else but Jose. I think Moyes would be the obvious choice to build a younger but experienced squad. He seems to demonstrate patience with some of the younger players at Everyone over the years and maybe we could entice him to bring Felleini along too, adding even more size and depth to a fairly stacked midfield.

However, Roman wants everything now and doubt Noyes will be brought in. God forbid we get ourselves an intelligent and younger manager in to build a powerhouse for years to come. Jose is obviously that guy too but I don't see him being patient with the younger players like Moyes would.

First thing first though... Send that Scouse triumvirate back up north so them car thieving dippers could put them all on that ridiculous pedestal they think they deserve to be on. We will take Rogers back as an assistant in return...

It would take ages for our players to adapt to this style of play. I remember Avb trying to implement a possession-passing game to the team and look where that ended up. I do agree that this is something we should consider in the future, but to use something like this would need months of preparation including a pre-season. Maybe next season, we'll just end up getting knocked out if we use it now.

What a retarded post. Are you just an idiot or do you not understand football at all? We played 5 in a back, trying to play for a draw, with HAZARD, our WINGER as the false nine, we played a 5-2-3, with hazard of all people our furthest forward, this is a completely different formation and play style.

Calm down. No need to get a big dick. 

You can't just change systems overnight. It takes hours and hours of training. Judging by that formation and line up, you would be incredibly weak defensively down the left side of the pitch. If your getting at a 4-1-2-1-2, with Mata and Hazard playing as the 'strikers', then you would completely lack someone with the ability to hold up the ball. Playing Mata as a 'Trequartista' is something I would be very supportive of in the middle of the park. He pretty much plays like one now anyway. 

This system in my opinion wouldn't work. You would be owned on the counter and we would be relying on the wings too much as the 'strikers' would find it hard to dominate the centre backs (as we do now)

Turn your internet warrior mode off by the way, you sound like a QPR fan. 

What a retarded post. Are you just an idiot or do you not understand football at all? We played 5 in a back, trying to play for a draw, with HAZARD, our WINGER as the false nine, we played a 5-2-3, with hazard of all people our furthest forward, this is a completely different formation and play style.

Ahh yes, another new poster who is completley clueless on proper etiquette. Here is some advice; Don't come on here spouting off insults to people you have no clue about. Its not healthy for the Shed End and nobody enjoys reading it... Comprende?

Hazard                                                 Moses
                                                                                                              Mata

Oscar                 Ramires

Luiz

Cole                    Ivanovic             Terry            Azpiliceuta

What do you guys think??

Hmmm.... let me give this some serious consideration. An interesting and innovative formation indeed. Brave of you to approach the game without a keeper. I assume this is based on the presumption that we're bound to have a player sent off at some stage.

Ashley Cole and Azpi on the wing. Very clever. And JT and Ivan as twin centre forwards. Wow that's that's just amazing. Hmmm three centre backs though,. I'm not sure about Mata as the central centre back. Maybe if we shifted him to the left. Or the right. With umm... Hazard in the centre. Or maybe Victor Moses. With that whole biblical parting of the red sea thing going on, yes I reckon that could work.

On to the midfield. Oscar to Ramirez, David Luis bursting through the middle a la Lampard, yeah I reckon that would work. No Frank Lampard though? Maybe we could try him in goal. I do get the what if someone gets sent off thing, really I do. But we are allowed to start with eleven men on the pitch. So we may as well.

Don't you think?

I look at it this way. As little non existent threat that Torres provides. At least he's a distraction and perhaps can give the opposition defenders a little giggle, enough so that they are distracted from their jobs and let the others score a few goals. Playing without a striker nullifies this tactic.

So when we're not in possession and defending in our box, who is the man left up on the half way line? Mata?

He'd probably do an even worse job of holding up the ball than Torres because of his size, and I think he's actually probably slower.

To do this it would mean all our attacks become slow unless Hazard or Moses can get up ahead of Mata soon enough, otherwise we'd have to build up all our attacks slowly and give them a chance to set their defence, which we couldn't score against for 80 minutes.

I think if anyone is to be a false 9 it should be Hazard who is actually more similar to Messi than Mata is, however we tried it against Juve and it didn't really work.

That being said away against Juve who hadn't lost a game in like 2 years isn't the easiest place to try a new formation, so I wouldn't object to something like:

------------Cech

Azpi - Cahill - JT - Ash

-------------Luiz

---Ramires----Lampard

--Mata---Hazard------Moses

Personally I think we should scrap this 4-2-3-1 bollocks and go 4-3-3 like the old days. 

Dominate midfield, solid defence while still having a decent attack. 

Oscar, Mikel, Luiz in midfield 3. You got a play maker, a passer and a ball winner right there. The three fundamentals to a midfield. 

Personally I think we should scrap this 4-2-3-1 bollocks and go 4-3-3 like the old days. 

Dominate midfield, solid defence while still having a decent attack. 

Oscar, Mikel, Luiz in midfield 3. You got a play maker, a passer and a ball winner right there. The three fundamentals to a midfield. 

4-2-3-1 is not bollocks at all. You can also 'dominate midfield' with that. Mata is our best player right now, if we want to suit him then 4-2-3-1 is best. It doesn't suit a few other players in our squad though, so it's up to the manager to decide what we should play.

Calm down. No need to get a big dick. 

You can't just change systems overnight. It takes hours and hours of training. Judging by that formation and line up, you would be incredibly weak defensively down the left side of the pitch. If your getting at a 4-1-2-1-2, with Mata and Hazard playing as the 'strikers', then you would completely lack someone with the ability to hold up the ball. Playing Mata as a 'Trequartista' is something I would be very supportive of in the middle of the park. He pretty much plays like one now anyway. 

This system in my opinion wouldn't work. You would be owned on the counter and we would be relying on the wings too much as the 'strikers' would find it hard to dominate the centre backs (as we do now)

Turn your internet warrior mode off by the way, you sound like a QPR fan. 

First off, I don't not understand what male genitalia has anything to do with this. Second, you made a very uneducated post focused on one game when we not only played poor but we used a completely different formation. The only thing that is similar between the two formations are the fact that we used a false 9, the problem is that it was our Winger in that formation.

Also, I have absolutely no idea where you got the "4-1-2-1-2 thing from at all. And yes, we can change formations easily, Ramires and Luiz have both used this formation from their years at Benfica. This is Lampards best/old position. Oscar plays in this position for Brazil. Mata has played in this position for Spain before, and they use this formation. And Hazard and Moses are not really affected to much by it. So why do you think it would take such a  long time for them to adapt? Also we dont rely on our wingers as strikers? Hazard and Moses havent been scoring a great amount of goals so why do you think we have been relying on them as strikers? Also, how would we be "owned" on the counter, you didnt really explain. Oscar, Luiz and Ramires are all known for there ability to track back and work hard so I don't understand what you mean?

The only thing I agree with you one is that we could interchange Oscar and Mata and push Mata back into the midfield if need be. If Fabregas can play as a false 9 and a center mid I do not see why Mata, who is just as good couldnt also.

First off, I don't not understand what male genitalia has anything to do with this. Second, you made a very uneducated post focused on one game when we not only played poor but we used a completely different formation. The only thing that is similar between the two formations are the fact that we used a false 9, the problem is that it was our Winger in that formation.

Also, I have absolutely no idea where you got the "4-1-2-1-2 thing from at all. And yes, we can change formations easily, Ramires and Luiz have both used this formation from their years at Benfica. This is Lampards best/old position. Oscar plays in this position for Brazil. Mata has played in this position for Spain before, and they use this formation. And Hazard and Moses are not really affected to much by it. So why do you think it would take such a  long time for them to adapt? Also we dont rely on our wingers as strikers? Hazard and Moses havent been scoring a great amount of goals so why do you think we have been relying on them as strikers? Also, how would we be "owned" on the counter, you didnt really explain. Oscar, Luiz and Ramires are all known for there ability to track back and work hard so I don't understand what you mean?

The only thing I agree with you one is that we could interchange Oscar and Mata and push Mata back into the midfield if need be. If Fabregas can play as a false 9 and a center mid I do not see why Mata, who is just as good couldnt also.

Haha, it was just a way of saying, don't jump down my throat / get excited at the slightest comment.

Uneducated post? It was just a rough sentence displaying my opinion of your idea. We're not Spain or Barcelona. We're Chelsea. We're in the middle of the season with Benitez at the helm, liking his rigid 5-5 philosophy. We have two full backs who like to get forward. Eden Hazard on the left wing that would cut inside on his right foot (which would leave us massively susceptible to the opposition fullbacks/wingers).  I agree that Oscar isn't just a number ten. He's got a great tackling ability as well as tracking back sense and I would like to see him in a more prevalent role in midfield.

Perhaps with a more attack orientated manager, a full pre-season, and a definitive long term plan  this could work, and hell I would love it to, because I like the idea of Mata in a Messi role and I believe he could do a fantastic job in it. He's got the creativity, the finishing, the intelligence, the nimble physique, the dribbling skills, the flair and the only thing he's really lacking is that burst of acceleration. 

Thing that makes me laugh, is that Spain now play a striker less system because Torres is useless and now the club that paid Â£50M for him are now considering the same.   :laugh2:    :Troll_Face:

Archived