OSSIE RIP

F1905

We had ossie over here in Waterford twice,first time was in 96 we had a great night and me and my mate gave him a nice bit of Waterford crystal from our supports club.myself and my sister walked him to he's hotel. The following year I meant him in the dressing rooms at the Stamford bridge v Leicester a couple of weeks before the cup final in 97 and to my amazement he remembered me as a 12 year old boy I was chuffed. Ossie was a real gent.

Out from the shed came a young rising star, Scoring against Jennings from near and from far...

When Chelsea won the game like we all knew they would, The star of that great team was Peter Osgood

There will only ever be one KING.

9781840186536.jpg

I saw Osgood play on many, many occasions, and some of the goals he scored I can still recall today. I was in the Stretford Road End when he scored that unforgettable goal in the FA Cup Final, and if I close my eyes I can see it all as if it was only yesterday. Arguably the greatest moment in Chelsea's history.

He even gave me a lift once when I was hitching along the A3! He took me all the way to London, and we had a great chat about his life. What amazed me was his modesty, when I would have been bragging to the high heavens if I was in his position! A real gent; something a lot of players from all teams today should try and emulate.

I saw Osgood play on many, many occasions, and some of the goals he scored I can still recall today. I was in the Stretford Road End when he scored that unforgettable goal in the FA Cup Final, and if I close my eyes I can see it all as if it was only yesterday. Arguably the greatest moment in Chelsea's history.

He even gave me a lift once when I was hitching along the A3! He took me all the way to London, and we had a great chat about his life. What amazed me was his modesty, when I would have been bragging to the high heavens if I was in his position! A real gent; something a lot of players from all teams today should try and emulate.

In my opinion that was the greatest goal he ever scored

Tony Hateley,

I know what you mean. When he scored that goal he ran to the left hand side of the goal and stood right in front of me. The look on his face said everything that ever needs to be said about that great victory. When I watch the replay a shudder runs down my spine, even after all these years!

I went to both legs against FC Bruge. The one in Belgium was somewhat "tense", if you know what I mean. The second match at SB was a truly memorable game, with Ossie doing the business once again, just like Fansince65 says.

The atmosphere at that game was the best I have seen at the Bridge,I remember some of the players saying the same.

Peter Osgood the King. A man who realised. us working class lads would die for him, and he knew it ,and respected us for it. My house was brought up with the names Osgood, Hutchison The cat,Chopper Charlie cooke. I only saw Ossie in the second spell after those nasty sorts from the south coast got there hands on him. Elder brother would have killed me and me other brother if we was anything else but Chels, he had no fear on that, always disliked Bagels.. 

Little True story for you, I used to work in the car trade for a well known German Car manufacturer in Basingstoke (yes a London overspill) one of the salesman was master of ceremonies in the "Terry Pain suite," he asked me, as he knew I was an avid Chelsea Fan if i wanted to go. I said yes straight away to see the beloved Blues,  something I dont do so much now, for costs, plus her indoors may not take too kindly to Fulham Old bill knocking on the door. Anyway he tells me guest of honour is Peter Osgood. At this I was ecstatic, he will always be my King as he was one of us, only Zola will get near him.

Also  me brothers mate, an author from Mitcham who we used to go to games, with on coaches and some rather rebellious trips, tells us he is writing Ossies Auto Biography, at this we all thought he was taking the "michael," though he did write some books on his exploits at Chelsea. Now i am sitting down next to Ossie, being all cool and not hero worshipping, even though I was desperate too. Anyway i talk to his wife Lynne and tell her Ossie is my all time idol, She turns round and tells me he knows already. i ask how, and she says  he knows a Chelsea Fan when he sees one. Anyway carry on meal, and more drink and Ossie confirms me brothers  Mate is writing his Autobigrophy and has just phoned. Meal finishes all the questions as Os gives his talk before the game, are you Chelsea or Scu** er.? Ossie being the gent, gives the Liberal answer, while winking at me. 

On to the game , as always happens the jammy scu**er gits go one up and if my memory serves me right it stayed like that till close to the end. At this point i am trying to remember I am in top corporate and for me mate, who got me in there I cant "chin anyone" thankfully Fat Frank scores to level the scores, now i dont hold back when I celebrate, but the king sitting next to me, was out of his seat before me, Jumping around and hugging the life out of me....Was he Chelsea or Scu**er....think we all know the answer to that. Upsetting all Scu**ers around us, did i care i was in Heaven and gave it real "Large"

Thank you Ossie and Chelsea, you are what makes us Chelsea Fans the most loyal there ever will be, My Chelsea has now gone, the greasy spoon has gone, all teams now take liberties at the Bridge, as it is full of Yuppies and Tourists, one day all us old Dinosaurs will be back, just like we were in Munich, we still think we are 16, Chelsea you and my family are my life.Always will be, though nower days have to make do with Watching League 2 football at Aldershot......I know, at least its grass roots football again..   

Archived