So what about benfica?

ws6blue

Obviously very good team, with long and proud history. Currently top their premier league but had 1-1 draw at home at weekend against mid table Estoril, AND have arch rivals apportion at the weekend for a title decider - great timing!

Their squad is mixture Portuguese, brazilians and Argentinians and they play a very fluid 433, with ex-blues player matic as holding midfielder

Last year in CL they gave us 2 good games so it won't be easy, but very confident we can beat em

Oh and ramires and David Luiz will have a point to prove against their old clubs

Can't wait

If we play well we should win,Benfica failed to get out of a Champions league group that had Celtic in it.Having said that it will be a good and tough game and im certainly looking forward to it,really want to win this trophy and not end the season trophy less.I'd say Gaitan looks there most dangerous creative player, Matic in midfield and Garay being there best defender.

Guest RFC_CFC

Benfica will be the toughest test yet in the Europa. Approach it like we did the super cup and we could get turned over.

Benfica's first team is practically all South American, apart from Matic, who is Serbian.

Their first XI has no Portuguese players at all.

Argentines mainly followed by Brazilians followed by Paraguayans followed by Uruguayans.

I'm glad the final is in Holland and not in a Latin country like Italy or Spain.

They have some pretty decent players but we are far better than them on paper.

Just thinking Benfica must be absolutely fuming about the 9,800 allocation. They have the most members in the world. 

Like DB said on paper they are good but we are a lot better.  I think it will be a quick tempo game and they will come out all guns blazing so we need to weather the early storm. We need to play the players who really want to win this. I think the motivation in the camp has improved since Rafa's post Middlesbrough rant. But I am just fearing a repeat of the Club World Cup and considering Benifca are a better proposition than Corinthians we will get punished if a repeat performance takes place.

Guest RFC_CFC

Fixed that for you mate.

Well I will be hiding behind the sofa tomorrow night if these SAF rumours have any truth about them.

The worry for me is they're going to want it more, and we're not going to take it as seriously as we should.  Like the League Cup and the WCC.  Mikel has already said publicly that it's hard to take it seriously, and we've just cruised through from being overwhelming better than our opposition so far.  We haven't and to dig deep and really fight for a win yet, and I'm not sure the team would.  Lets not forget that Benfica are a CL team.  

They could be motivated by avenging their CL knockout last season and they'll be well up for winning.  Feels like we're just here by default.  Hopefully I'm being daft and the team is professional - because there is no reason not to take the trophy home now.  It'll be really irritating to know that we spent all this time congesting our schedule even more than we had to just to get to a final and lose because we couldn't really be arsed. 

this final will be the perfect time for our new young guns to step up and do something that will be remembered by the club!

Mata, Oscar and Hazard need to SHINE for us to win..not that mata wasnt great for us last season, its just last seasons success was mostly due to the old guard, this is the time for the NEW CHELSEA to step up and be heard!!!!

i am confident our boys will get it done, and done emphatically - something like 3-1 or 3-0

Blatantly stolen from a FB forum, but thought I would share it as a matter of interest.

Just want to focus a little on the Europa League Final and something i heard a few years ago about our opponents Benfica. Back in 1961 they had a coach named Bela Guttmann who was a bit of a character. He previously got sacked from AC Milan despite being top of the league after a few arguments with the board and in his press conference he said "i have been sacked even though i am i am neither a criminal or homosexual". On arrival at Benfica he sacked 20 senior players, he's personality has been likened to the special one Jose Mourinho.

Back to 1961 and in this season he led Benfica to their first ever European cup beating Barcelona. A year later and he guided Benfica to back to back European Cups this time beating Real Madrid he had proved he was something special. After that second consecutive European Cup win in 1962 he went to the board and asked for a pay rise, something which the board rejected. Guttmann ended up leaving Benfica because of this reason. When he left the club he allegedly cursed the club by saying "not in a hundred years time from now will Benfica ever win a European Cup".

Since these words Benfica have reached European Finals in 1963, 1965, 1968, 1988 and 1990 losing all 5! Even before the final in 1990 which was staged in Vienna the resting place of Guttmann, Benfica president and legend Eusebio prayed at Guttmann's grave and asked for the curse to be lifted, this was unsuccessful!

Lets hope the curse stays in tact for another year!

Archived